So confused about Dak

dmaschuck

Reaction score
What the heck happened? I'm still processing this win. The defense has been good all year, but how can a team look so clueless on offense for 5 weeks and then put 40 points on the NFL's top ranked defense? Is this a harbinger of things to come or was the coaching just that bad for 5 weeks and now they figured it out?

My biggest question though is who was that guy at QB and will we see him next week.........
The jags are not the best defense in the league, the ravens are avg giving up 12.8 ppg and the jags have not been looking as good as advertised. The biggest difference i saw was dak running the ball more which he needs to do because he is not going to be picking teams apart from the pocket.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What the heck happened? I'm still processing this win. The defense has been good all year, but how can a team look so clueless on offense for 5 weeks and then put 40 points on the NFL's top ranked defense? Is this a harbinger of things to come or was the coaching just that bad for 5 weeks and now they figured it out?

My biggest question though is who was that guy at QB and will we see him next week.........

When the pass protection is good, Dak is very good.

It's really that simple. Stats back it up.

In the Dak era, if the Cowboys pass protect effectively and on defense they pass rush effectively, then they win.

In Houston they struggled to pass protect and while the pass rush looked decent, it was not effective because they let the QB escape way too often.

TheGoat73

Reaction score

We have a QB who can run. It’s a weapon. If we use it.

TheHerd

Reaction score
What happened is that we allowed Dak to play to his strengths: read option, play action, designed QB runs, and a few deep shots.

Dak running opens up the passing game, which opens up Zeke, which opens up Dak's running game.
What's weird is this blantantly clear, yet next week they'll stick him in the pocket and not let him run. It's bizarre.

He definitely gains confidence with his passing when he gets some runs going

Ozone22

Reaction score
If we continue to play to our strengths we are hard to beat if we go back to playing down to the opponents level which we usually do we are in trouble, I think just maybe Jason boy knows his arse is on the line, he was gutsy today and I loved it. We abused the number 1 defense today.

Think you're 100% correct about him knowing his arse is on the line. Playing it safe while the rest of the NFL are playing kamikaze style football. Will get you fired in this new aged football.
There where times the camera was JG and he looked uncomfortable/out of his element. Almost like he knew this wasn't his style of safe football.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
What's weird is this blantantly clear, yet next week they'll stick him in the pocket and not let him run. It's bizarre.

He definitely gains confidence with his passing when he gets some runs going

It honestly baffles me. Maybe they're scared of him RG3'ing? I don't get it, but what do I know? I'm just a fat guy sitting on the couch :laugh:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
it is all about dak.
he needs the freedom to run or his confidence goes down the tube
the problem is can he survive in the nfl running that much

I'm not worried about his durability.

Dak had a history in college of running. He's not a daisy. Guys are bigger in the NFL, but QBs are protected. I don't recall him taking any real hits on his planned runs. I'm more worried about him getting hit on scrambles and in the pocket.

Kaiser

Reaction score
It was good to see David Irving have an impact.

And Maliek Collins. Let those two guys get healthy and our DL will be even better.

Also I'm interested to see why DLaw was so quiet today, if it was the scheme or if Parnells had a great game against him.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I'm not worried about his durability.

Dak had a history in college of running. He's not a daisy. Guys are bigger in the NFL, but QBs are protected. I don't recall him taking any real hits on his planned runs. I'm more worried about him getting hit on scrambles and in the pocket.

if he is effective doing this, i would like a really high pick for a backup.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

turnovers helped. Jaguars were just caught in the perfect storm. they didn't think Dak would run and he did. we had 200 yards rushing.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Linehan finally got a clue. He scrapped the lame brain Garrett playbook and did the right thing and let Dak be Dak. If anyone deserves credit its Linehan. Not Garrett.

As everyone can see Dak is a pretty good QB. They just need to stop forcing him into being a pocket passer with this long developing plays.

If they let Dak be Dak and play call to his strengths then this team can go really far.

Scrap the Garrett playbook once and for all. It's best for the team going forward.