So the media hates the Skins huh?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Ok, link works now

File not found
[SIZE=-1]You’ve requested an ESPN.com page that does not exist. If you’ve reached this page by selecting a bookmark that worked previously, it’s likely the file moved to a new location because of our recent redesign. Please check the Site Map to find the new location and update your bookmark. [/SIZE]

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
This is my favorite part...

That's about the most favorable spin you can put on that group of players.

Fauria is alright.

But the others wouldn't be on many teams in the NFL. It speaks volumes about how much they had to scrape to find players who could be depth but fit under their cap.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
HH can't argue or post links right, that kid sucks at everything :lmao2:

It works for everyone but you. BTW, you ars a whole year and a half older than me :rolleyes:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
It works for everyone but you. BTW, you ars a whole year and a half older than me :rolleyes:

it works for me, just it took you 2 times to post the right link, and I just found that funny

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
This is my favorite part...

That's about the most favorable spin you can put on that group of players.

Not according to Skins fans. Nope, they think those guys are VERY good players, lol.

They think Kenny Wright is just a dynamite 3rd corner. Seriously, they think there's very little dropoff from the starters to him. They'll give all kinds of stats from his time in Jax proving how good he is. :laugh1:

I told one skins fan that they'd be in trouble if one of their corners went down and he promptly told me that was before they got Kenny Wright who is an excellent corner. And then the typical follow up: Gregg Williams wanted him and so he must be great and fit his system. :rolleyes:

And of course Collins is the perfect backup because he knows Saunders system. He'll have Campbell playing like a pro bowler in no time.

Fauria is the best blocking TE in the NFL according to skins fans.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Here is the article for those without insider:

Expectations are high in Washington as we enter Year 3 of the new Joe Gibbs era. The NFC semifinalists from a year ago return a vast majority of last year's team.

If there is one thing we have learned about team owner Dan Snyder, it's his commitment to do whatever it takes to attract free agents to Washington. Once again, the Commanders were aggressive in the open market with the additions of wide receiver Antwaan Randle El, safety Adam Archuleta, linebacker Andre Carter and restricted free-agent receiver Brandon Lloyd, who was acquired in a trade with San Francisco. They also added Christian Fauria (tight end), Todd Collins (backup quarterback), Tyson Walter (guard), Mike Pucillo (guard) and Kenny Wright (cornerback) to improve depth with experienced players.

As for the draft, the Commanders selected only six players and gave up a sixth-rounder this year and a second-rounder in 2007 to acquire the rights to outside linebacker Roger McIntosh out of Miami. McIntosh is a versatile linebacker who has the skill set to play all three linebacker positions as well as special teams. He has the quickness and aggressiveness to rush the passer and the athleticism to match up with backs and tight ends in coverage. He should end up starting as the weakside linebacker in the Commanders' 4-3 system.

The Commanders are geared up for a run at the NFC East crown and possibly deep into the playoffs. Let's check out what else they have done this offseason to position themselves to overtake last year's divisional champ, the New York Giants, in the toughest division on paper in the NFL. Led by Gibbs, the Commanders have one of the most experienced staffs in the NFL. One of the major hires this offseason was new offensive coordinator Al Saunders, who will replace Gibbs on game day as the primary play caller.

The Commanders finished last season ranked 11th in the NFL in total offense, averaging 330.6 yards per game. Led by running back Clinton Portis, who finished third in the NFC in rushing (1,516 yards), the Commanders finished seventh in the league in rushing, averaging 136.4 yards per game. However, the problems on offense revolved around the passing attack, which ranked 21st in the NFL, averaging 194.1 yards per game.

With the addition of Saunders, the Commanders begin a new era on offense. Saunders has led one of the most impressive offensive systems in the NFL over the last few years in Kansas City. He uses a lot of motion and shifts to keep defenses off balance. He does a great job of creating mismatches out on the perimeter and attacking the weakness of the opposing coverage.

When looking at the Commanders' offensive personnel, they have all the makings of being an explosive team. Wide receiver Santana Moss led the Commanders in receptions last year with 84. Along with Lloyd, Randle El and David Patten, the Commanders have the ability to create a lot of problems with their multiple-receiver sets. Throw in H-back Chris Cooley as well as Portis and the Commanders can strike from anywhere on the field. Cooley, who finished with 71 receptions and seven touchdowns last year, is another weapon the defense must account for. Is Mark Brunell the answer at quarterback in the nation's capital? When do the Commanders turn the page and start building for the future with former first-round pick Jason Campbell? Brunell will turn 36 in September. He played in 16 games with 15 starts last year and finished with an impressive 85.9 quarterback rating. However, his physical skills are diminishing, along with his arm strength. He doesn't posses the vertical arm strength to stretch deep zones down the field.

The future in Washington is Campbell, who has seen no playing time in his short stay in Washington. However, Campbell has been impressive in the offseason passing camps and the coaches love his potential and upside. He has been working overtime on learning the new system and refining his footwork, along with shortening his throwing motion. Veteran journeyman Collins understands the system and will be an extra set of eyes and ears for both Campbell and Brunell while the system is being installed.

Nevertheless, Saunders loves veteran players and Brunell will get the starting nod. So look for defenses to load up again in the box to stop the run and force Brunell to attack through the air in their controlled short-and-intermediate passing attack.

Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has produced top-10 defenses during both his years in Washington. Last year the Commanders finished ninth in total defense, allowing 297.9 yards per game. They were 13th against the run and 10th versus the pass. In order for this team to improve even more on defense it must become more consistent in gap discipline and tackling against the run.

Defensively, the Commanders attack with multiple seven- and eight-man fronts. They are very aggressive and feature run blitzes from every angle. Also, they will utilize moving fronts that confuse and disrupt blocking patterns. Once again, this defense will rely on its linebacker corps to attack downhill and get into gaps. Middle linebacker Lemar Marshall and strongside linebacker Marcus Washington finished 1-2 on the team in total tackles last year. Washington is a versatile player who has played at a very high level since coming over from Indianapolis.

Prototypical free safety Sean Taylor and the addition of strong safety Archuleta, who's an upgrade over Ryan Clark, should improve the run defense even more in 2006. Taylor is a versatile player who continues to develop into an outstanding player at his position, while Archuleta has better value versus the run than pass. Taylor is a big, physical hitter who can run the alleys and strike with force in open space.

The secondary needs to make more big plays in coverage -- the starting group combined for only eight interceptions last year. Cornerback Shawn Springs has been a solid contributor since coming over from the Seahawks; Carlos Rogers, last year's first-round pick, had a typical up-and-down season based on his draft status and inexperience. He should be the starting corner opposite Springs and a much-improved player in his second season. Also, the Commanders need to generate more pressure and sack production than a year ago, when they combined for only 35 sacks.

Last season, the Commanders took care of business at home with a 6-2 record. Their schedule this year is tough, but it has them playing four out of their last six games at FedEx Field. The Giants come to town in Week 17, which could decide the NFC East crown.

So how good are the Commanders in 2006? By my estimation, the Commanders have had a very solid offseason and should be the team to beat in the NFC East. They are led by a Hall of Fame head coach and a very experienced coaching staff. Brunell will be the key to this team's success, along with the defense. It has been a slow development in Washington, but a lot of the pieces are now in place for the Commanders to control the NFC East and make a deep run into the playoffs in 2006.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
They think Kenny Wright is just a dynamite 3rd corner. Seriously, they think there's very little dropoff from the starters to him. They'll give all kinds of stats from his time in Jax proving how good he is. :laugh1:

that is funny, I remember RiggoForever, everytime he mentioned Kenny Wright, he'd always make sure that we knew that he started for Jacksonville

there was a time when Kareem Larrimore was one of our starting CBs :p:

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
:lmao2: that must of had you rolling then too huh? I mean, copy and paste, how hard is that?

This is one of the few sites I've been on that if you post a long link that has been shortened from posting on another board, it doesnt translate it automatically. You have to post the whole link from the original source, not a shortened one from another board.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
That's quite a feat

I have to work at it. I think I must be doing pretty good too... because my wife calls me juvenille all the time. :)

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
that is funny, I remember RiggoForever, everytime he mentioned Kenny Wright, he'd always make sure that we knew that he started for Jacksonville

there was a time when Kareem Larrimore was one of our starting CBs :p:

Yep. Like he wasn't a weak link for that Jax defense. He's okay... but he definately has some weaknesses. Like Parcells is fond of saying... you're third corner is almost a starter now, so you really need a good guy there.

Won't matter with us anyway... Fasano and Witten will be riding him like a pack mule all game long if they choose to play us in their nickel. More likely, he won't see much playing time against us because they'll be in their base 4-3... which is unfortunate... because I'd love to see Mr. Wright try to cover Glenn out of the slot. :)