Video: Some experts like Tyler Smith more than you do

fivetwos

Reaction score
Everyone has an opinion, but some folks who do this for a living think it's a good pick. Time will tell. Kid definitely plays with an attitude.

His upside is huge.

Two things that bother me more than the pick itself....

-Clearly they put themselves in this corner and intended to take a LG all along.

-Jerry bringing a list to the PC in some really lame attempt to prove something. Awful.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most media members outside of Dallas have him starting RT and McGovern starting at LG. Ross Tucker is one of them adament about McGovern being good enough

1st I heard anything about him at RT, from the video, and only 1 person. What are they planning to do with Steele then?

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would air on the side of the super strong athletic kid with bad form from inexperience over the technician who avoids the weight room and couldn't stop a nose bleed. I am OK with the pick. It was such a need, that I am not going to get mad if they took the 35th best player at 24. We don't see their board. They may have had him as an early 2, but the next guy had a late 3 grade? I get more mad when they trade down and we watch the guys we want go off the board, one by one just before they pick.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Not so much an "expert" but I like seeing him push around guys from the Big Ten and Big XII.

Here's the whole game against Ohio St. I don't think it's that encouraging. Looks like he has slow feet and likes to get too wide with his hands. Seems to catch guys instead of punching. I'm also not seeing the, "power," I've heard so much about.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His upside is huge.

Two things that bother me more than the pick itself....

-Clearly they put themselves in this corner and intended to take a LG all along.

-Jerry bringing a list to the PC in some really lame attempt to prove something. Awful.

Trying to justify the reach at #24.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
There's little doubt but what Tyler Smith was an unexpected pick to resolve our LG need.

It remains to be seen just how soon his technical limitations are destined to be corrected.

It looks like his physical attributes appear to be sufficient. His progress will be duly noted.

It surely appears that, as fans, we'll be obliged to live with this reality until more is known.

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score
Trying to justify the reach at #24.
I honestly don't think he was that much of a reach. I think he would have gone soon after, if not early today.

More of a boom or bust type is all.

I think many were figuring ZJohnson or Green all along and they were safer picks....and also gone.

Also....it really reeked of drafting for need. That bothers certain people, me included.

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score
Would be a lot easier to get excited about his upside if we had an OL coach with a solid track record as opposed to one many want fired yesterday.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
I think if Linderbaum isn’t sitting there it’s easier to digest, but he was there. That’s what’s making this impossible for me to understand. Biadasz has been average at best, and Linderbaum has been touted by many as the cleanest center coming out in years. Do they not remember what a difference Frederick made?

I get that Smith could become good with coaching, but it’s still a gamble. It don’t get much safer than Linderbaum and he went to an OL school

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Most media members outside of Dallas have him starting RT and McGovern starting at LG. Ross Tucker is one of them adament about McGovern being good enough
This right here is why those media quoted above as being experts are not indeed experts because they dint even have a clue where he'll be playing. Its LG and LG only this year.

They aren't moving Steele after gifting him the job by cutting La'el then benching him, I mean how stupid woukd that make them look.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
No idea where these guys are getting RT from. They have to follow a little from every team, so they make assumptions and miss sometimes.

In the post draft press conference, McCarthy said Tyler Smith will be a left side player, meaning LG and LT, while Josh Ball will be a right side player, and Matt Farniok will be a middle player along with Tyler Biadasz. I expect Tyler Smith to be our starting LG this year with the hope of eventually replacing Tyron Smith when he moves on. A similar path as L'al Collins perhaps as he played guard initially in the pros. Steele will still start at RT barring any injuries. I still think we need a vet swing tackle as we have no idea what Ball is at this point. Unless we use Tyler Smith to swing out to tackle upon injury and McGovern comes in at LG. But I'd prefer a vet myself.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I would air on the side of the super strong athletic kid with bad form from inexperience over the technician who avoids the weight room and couldn't stop a nose bleed. I am OK with the pick. It was such a need, that I am not going to get mad if they took the 35th best player at 24. We don't see their board. They may have had him as an early 2, but the next guy had a late 3 grade? I get more mad when they trade down and we watch the guys we want go off the board, one by one just before they pick.
Many here think they erred on the side of Offense, instead of Defense. I think Jerry wants to make sure Dak is protected better than Tony was, and maybe even more importantly, wants to get Zeke going.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Any "expert" certainly has more information about the player than I do. However, the "experts" miss as many or more analysis than I do so the fact that some of them like the pick doesn't really mean anything at this point. Only time will tell.

All you gotta do is go back & look at all the guys they raved about in previous years that failed to live up to it.

Besides, none of them are going to "make things right" if it doesn't work out. They are just talking like the rest of us.