Video: Some experts like Tyler Smith more than you do

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
These media people need to do their homework on the Cowboys though. Tyler Smith isn't playing right tackle, Terance Steele is. Smith is the left guard as a rookie and then the eventual replacement for Tyron Smith at left tackle.

The more I research this guy the more I like the pick. I am guilty of getting caught up in "expert" opinions sometimes.

CapnB

Reaction score
I was ticked just because i wanted Jordan Davis then the eagles get him? yeah i wasnt a happy camper even before we picked. (although i knew they wouldnt move that far up...but still)

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok, that’s perfectly fine and he may be great eventually. The problem is our process and who is making the decisions.
What problem do you see? I'm a process guy, and it sure looks to me like they stuck to their process this year and took the highest guy on their board.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Many here think they erred on the side of Offense, instead of Defense. I think Jerry wants to make sure Dak is protected better than Tony was, and maybe even more importantly, wants to get Zeke going.

Yeah..The D was solid last year, the Oline in spite of what PFF-Anon told people was garbage. They were really pigeonholed to take oline imo.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I honestly don't think he was that much of a reach. I think he would have gone soon after, if not early today.

More of a boom or bust type is all.

I think many were figuring ZJohnson or Green all along and they were safer picks....and also gone.

Also....it really reeked of drafting for need. That bothers certain people, me included.

It's been reported that he was rated to be taken at about pick #33. If true, that's not terribly unacceptable. Was it a need pick? Yes. :cool:

Last edited:

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
With Tyler Smith likely the left guard now and the left tackle of the future, imagine what good shape the Cowboys would be in should Josh Ball and Matt Farniok develop as hoped. And I have a feeling they aren't done with the offensive line in this draft either.

Dre11

Reaction score
So a guy who says he'll start at RT knows more because he is on tv?

No, they just know more than you, because they actually talk to multiple professional teams scouts, Gms, coaches who's done far more studying than you.

rags

Reaction score
Not in love with this pick. One review said he had a tendency for holding. Sound familiar?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Everyone has an opinion, but some folks who do this for a living think it's a good pick. Time will tell. Kid definitely plays with an attitude.

Its an Eric Williams attitude and I endorse it.
Its never easy finding a future LT, usually desperation requires top 10 if not higher attention.
Very young and talented, plays with attitude, smart, and we drafted a TS future replacement at 24.
Wipe the tears fellas, this might be a really good steal.

Jarntt

Reaction score
So you picked that one statement out over all the others? All of them collectively do know more.
and two of them spoke about where he would be drafted and one of the two called him a second rounder. Stop trying to make yourself feel better by cherry picking clips. Either use the consensus or ignore them all. Let's just see how he is.

Jarntt

Reaction score
No, they just know more than you, because they actually talk to multiple professional teams scouts, Gms, coaches who's done far more studying than you.
You make that assumption because they are on tv? You have no clue who has watched more of a Tulsa OL between us. Have you heard some of the comments by these "experts"? Plus if 10 say it was a bad pick and 1 says it was good you want to just quote the 1?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
These media people need to do their homework on the Cowboys though. Tyler Smith isn't playing right tackle, Terance Steele is. Smith is the left guard as a rookie and then the eventual replacement for Tyron Smith at left tackle.

The more I research this guy the more I like the pick. I am guilty of getting caught up in "expert" opinions sometimes.
Maybe. But the draft isn't over and neither is free agency after the draft. I also am unsure what Philbin will do. Last season was a nightmare.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Here's the whole game against Ohio St. I don't think it's that encouraging. Looks like he has slow feet and likes to get too wide with his hands. Seems to catch guys instead of punching. I'm also not seeing the, "power," I've heard so much about.

I think there's a significant difference between Tulsa, who had no other great linemen and Dallas who at least has some talent. There's more video out there.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
You didn't like the Larry Allen pick, he was from even a smaller school.

He was drafted 28 years ago so not exactly "this day and age".

But I guess I should clarify; what I meant was that I don't like taking OL chances in early rounds on small school guys.

That's not to say they can't be successful, I just like to have less risk there.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
So a guy who says he'll start at RT knows more because he is on tv?

Generally speaking, a guy who gets paid to evaluate players for a sports network probably knows about talent evaluation than some random on CZ.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Many here think they erred on the side of Offense, instead of Defense. I think Jerry wants to make sure Dak is protected better than Tony was, and maybe even more importantly, wants to get Zeke going.
Yeah, they drafted 3 1st rounders in a row to help Romo, but it seemed to be too late in his career. Maybe they learned their lesson?
I did NOT just say that......:lmao2:

Dre11

Reaction score
You make that assumption because they are on tv? You have no clue who has watched more of a Tulsa OL between us. Have you heard some of the comments by these "experts"? Plus if 10 say it was a bad pick and 1 says it was good you want to just quote the 1?

I can guarantee they have far more legit information than you. That's no assumption.