Video: Some experts like Tyler Smith more than you do

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Everyone has an opinion, but some folks who do this for a living think it's a good pick. Time will tell. Kid definitely plays with an attitude.

Jermaine Johnson or Tyler Linderbaum would have been a better pick.

starfan1

Reaction score
Pro Football Focus gave him a 93.9 run-blocking grade in 2021, the highest ever for an American Athletic Conference offensive tackle.3 hours ago

But, who is Smith? Well, he's one some NFL general managers had a first-round grade on, despite his name having mostly flown under the radar of the general public until very recently, and the Cowboys were one such team.

Tyler Smith, Tulsa OT | NFL Draft Scouting Report

His scouting report is overlooked at times, but Tulsa OT and NFL Draft prospect Tyler Smith has some of the highest upside in the 2022 class.

Walter Football

Here are the thoughts of another area scout on Smith:

"He's the definition of a dancing bear at 6-foot-5, 320 pounds, freaky balance and bend. Powerful man. Physically in the Jason Peters, Greg Robinson sphere, not near as raw coming out and the good tape is very good. Just needs time because he plays the game a bit like a defensive tackle and needs to learn patience. He could go to guard as a rookie just to get him on the field and let him tee off on people, and in the right situation, a perennial Pro Bowl talent. He's the rare left tackle who can maul you in the run game. Not even close to what he can be - lightly recruited out of Fort Worth. Of the offensive linemen in this class, he's the one who could just as easily flip over to defensive tackle and still be a high-end talent because he's so big, explosive and physical.

"He's a clear first-round talent. Back half of first round could get interesting. I know offensive line coaches - they will fight like hell to get him. Can't find his size, athleticism, physicality, and raw intelligence at that young often enough. His issues are all correctable. As a player right now, he is more of a second-round pick, although if you watch Mississippi State, Oklahoma State both years, and Ohio State game this season, he was the best player on the field against their best competition."

Here's what one area scout texted me about Smith:

"If Tyler Smith blows up his combine and workouts, he could go top 10. He's more gifted than the other offensive tackles in this class besides the N.C. State kid. Smith is 6-foot-5, 325 pounds with 34-plus-inch arms. As violent as he plays and the fact he can play guard also, I could see someone pushing him up because he's only 20 and smart also. He'll hover bottom 1/early 2 until workouts and then we'll see how he handles process."

https://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/scoutingreport2022TSmith.php
well since he asked you provided

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The Boys have 8 picks left~
Give Us:
2 wide receivers
2 linebackers
1 edge rusher
1 corner
1 guard
1 safety
That fair?!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everyone has an opinion, but some folks who do this for a living think it's a good pick. Time will tell. Kid definitely plays with an attitude.

Prisco is mistaken. He’s not playing at right tackle.

Loso86

Reaction score

This is how it normally works, he's a good fit at LG next to 77. I'm a scout this guys has all the tools and is strong. He plays twice as good as 52 did we will be good. But most of our fans don't like the pick because he's not a known name to them or they go off of what others say

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Eric Williams type of a brawler

CWR

Reaction score

I hope they don't try to plug him in at tackle immediately like Prisco says. I think he'll be better off playing guard first.

plymkr

Reaction score

That's more encouraging. I'm happy with the pick. There's no sure things with the draft and every prospect isn't perfect.

Reactions: CWR

jnday

Reaction score
Yeah, most here WANT the sky to fall so they can complain.
You don’t understand. We want the Cowboys to be Super Bowl contenders and we will complain until they do. Some of the reasons for mediocre play is very obvious and can easily be recognized by fans , but Jerry and the whole organization don’t see it or don’t care to fix those issues.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think if Tyler Smith did not have 16 penalties last year with Dallas coming off a bad year of penalties, fewer people with dislike the pick. When I watch him lay he looks like he could get called for holding 16 times in one game. He really needs to clean that up in the NFL or he is going to be a serious liability for the offense.

lqmac1

Reaction score

Supposedly there were two teams after us that were looking to draft him in the first and we declined a trade with a team that was looking to draft him at 24.

lqmac1

Reaction score
Ok, that’s perfectly fine and he may be great eventually. The problem is our process and who is making the decisions.
We’ve easily been the best drafting team this past decade. What process are you talking about exactly? Nobody has drafted more all pros or pro bowlers than us.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The Boys have 8 picks left~
Give Us:
2 wide receivers
2 linebackers
1 edge rusher
1 corner
1 guard
1 safety
That fair?!

I want a kicker. Please give me a kicker.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
I like the pick. I'm sure they're gonna have him play rg. Otherwise he would just be a back up to tyron and not play very much this or next season.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Nasty is good. I saw one highlight when, after pushing the end to the ground, he pushed him back down harder as he tried to get up. For no real reason other than to be mean.

I like that.