CFZ Some fundamental sports truths I wish JJ would grasp

blueblood70

Reaction score
Ok so your point is our front office; Jerry, McClay, Stephen specifically; are proven qualified football guys. With their expertise, experience, and 1000s of hours of doing football stuff they are as qualified as anyone. Ok cool, that's your opinion and I respect that. My question to you is with a qualified Owner, GM, Football minds why the 27 year playoff failures?
same tired question wont be answered,, narratives around here wont quit a lot of the coaches and FO have changed since 27 yrs ago..many different player combos. Happens to many teams with this alleged best structure been over so many time i believe many are hard headed because they NEED TO FEEL important and hate on the jones hate train..

many teams like, KC took 50 years to get back, took philly 60 years to win ONE and it wasnt with the all mighty cant do any wrong REID measly SB, took Cinci 31 years to get back and still haven't won one, there are many many more who have never won one or been long drought since they've been back.... happens all over sports.
i mean between the mavs, rangers and stars they have how many championships in their entire history's? 2 or is it 3

so Jones has more championships in 32 years then the 3 other major sprits franchises combined in their HISTORY of existence.....

LET IT GO........

plymkr

Reaction score
Gottcha, I don't think losing is going to be a long term successful business model.
Yep, and it has been for 25 years. Kind of depressing that after 25 years the business model hasn't changed. That leads me to believe the Cowboys organization doesn't care about winning, they just care about attention.

We are the Kardashians of the sports world. All drama, no substance, and the Cowboys are making money due to name recognition and not quality.

plymkr

Reaction score
same tired question wont be answered,, narratives around here wont quit a lot of the coaches and FO have changed since 27 yrs ago..many different player combos. Happens to many teams with this alleged best structure been over so many time i believe many are hard headed because they NEED TO FEEL important and hate on the jones hate train..

many teams like, KC took 50 years to get back, took philly 60 years to win ONE and it wasnt with the all mighty cant do any wrong REID measly SB, took Cinci 31 years to get back and still haven't won one, there are many many more who have never won one or been long drought since they've been back.... happens all over sports.
i mean between the mavs, rangers and stars they have how many championships in their entire history's? 2 or is it 3

so Jones has more championships in 32 years then the 3 other major sprits franchises combined in their HISTORY of existence.....

LET IT GO........
You didn't answer my question. Why the playoff failures if our FO is on par with other NFL teams?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

LET IT GO........
Sounds like you already have “let it go”…which is fine. I support your right to have any opinion about the Cowboys you want. You can be a fan any way you choose. Just let everyone else be a fan they way they choose to as well. That’s the way an opinion forum works. Lots of differing opinions.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You didn't answer my question. Why the playoff failures if our FO is on par with other NFL teams?
at this poi IDC thats not my point. People calling this ownership group and FO amateurs is a Joke..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Sounds like you already have “let it go”…which is fine. I support your right to have any opinion about the Cowboys you want. You can be a fan any way you choose. Just let everyone else be a fan they way they choose to as well. That’s the way an opinion forum works. Lots of differing opinions.

no because common sense must prevail and to those in this thread or in this forum that had the opinion that an ownership group with 32 years of experience are not professional football people is flat wrong.. they have forgotten more then anyone in here could ahve ever learned from google and a keyboard by simply being in the inner workings for 32 years in daily operations, meetings, etc etc etc i can NOT be more clear, thats Ludacris. if you want to judge them by mistakes and failures thats fine but those statement's can not be more false.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
no because common sense must prevail and to those in this thread or in this forum that had the opinion that an ownership group with 32 years of experience are not professional football people is flat wrong.. they have forgotten more then anyone in here could ahve ever learned from google and a keyboard by simply being in the inner workings for 32 years in daily operations, meetings, etc etc etc i can NOT be more clear, thats Ludacris. if you want to judge them by mistakes and failures thats fine but those statement's can not be more false.
There is no common sense in that statement.

The only reason they have been doing it for that long is that they can't be fired. The track record after Booger decided to take over the football operations speaks for it itself.

As far as common sense, that would sell better with proper grammar, punctuation, sentence construction and spelling.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is the comment that initially drew a response from me:

I was curious as to what exactly you meant. Your explanation answered how pressure was not actually pressure. So, my curiosity in discovering how "we" could keep applying "pressure" would "make a difference" has been sated.

Now, you are doubling down on implying I do not want fellow members to voice their discontent and feel better for doing so. Me. The same guy who has YEARS worth of hundreds of posts stating CowboysZone.com is a coping device for people to vent and release their inner frustrations.

I must admit. That's rich. :laugh:
To me pressure means continuing to call it out in whatever means or public venues we have. You’re probably taking it too literally.

But yea, I’d encourage the media , etc to ask as many tough questions as possible .

Obviously it probably isn’t going to make much of a difference but at least he answers some of them regardless if we like or not .

But what concerns me is fans calling other fans out who continue speaking out against our owner. It comes off like they are in support of how he’s running Cowboys football.

This should be one subject Cowboy fans can agree on.

Last edited:

DonaldM

Reaction score
I'm ready for another lovechild thread. Or at least how much it cost him this round to make it go away. That one had to sting a little.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Yep, and it has been for 25 years. Kind of depressing that after 25 years the business model hasn't changed. That leads me to believe the Cowboys organization doesn't care about winning, they just care about attention.

We are the Kardashians of the sports world. All drama, no substance, and the Cowboys are making money due to name recognition and not quality.
Cant Imagine this working going forward longterm...
The more inepitude seasons we stack on top of another, the more disenchanted the fans will become.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To me pressure means continuing to call it out in whatever means or public venues we have . And planting as many seeds to others as possible.

But yea, I’d encourage the media , etc to ask as many tough questions as possible .

Obviously it probably isn’t going to make much of a difference but at least he answers some of them regardless if we like or not .

But what concerns me is fans calling other fans out who continue speaking out against our owner. It comes off like they are in support of how he’s running Cowboys football.
I do not think they are necessarily supporting the Joneses, some just get tired of the same song. Just as they do when some turn every thread into a bash the QB thread.

I get the same thing because I am not quiet about my intense distaste for him but unlike you, it is for him, not what he does with the football team and I do not expect anyone to grab a pitchfork and join me.

Gregg, those of us staying in the vein are like the ant making love to the elephant when a coconut falls on the elephant's head and it goes "oomph" and the ant yells "suffer, baby, suffer".

However, there is a special intensity to the frustration of something wrong and we are so helpless to address in any way except protest. But what the hell? I am feeling that with so many things now it has become just normal everyday life.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To me pressure means continuing to call it out in whatever means or public venues we have .

I will defer to stating no comment about "pressure."

Jones answers questions, even supposedly hard questions, in standard narcissistic fashion. Case in point. Early August. 2021. Terry Bradshaw and Troy Aikman corner Jones on national television concerning inducting Jimmy Johnson into the Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor. Jones' response?

"I think we've got some great days ahead of us. We are going to certainly be recognizing what's happening here with the Hall of Fame, but Tex Schramm, who started that Ring of Honor, he said, 'Jerry, keep it kind of limited with people, but make sure it wasn't just about the plays they made. Make sure they contributed to the story of the franchise.' Now, it's kind of hard not to recognize [Johnson's] contribution to the story of the franchise."

Setting a date would guarantee a sold-out AT&T Stadium, nationwide media attention, months of sports talking heads discussion that would include him along with Johnson, etc. What has actually happened since then?

*Crickets*, which is actually not that much less than what Jones actually said in response to being put on the spot.

One must keep constantly hammering at a narcissist to get him or her to comply with a sought after action. They do not usually do what others want them to do. They do exactly what they want to do.

As far as fans speaking out against the owner, I believe some (not all but some) pushback is reaction to repetitive passive criticism of Jones. Perhaps some who complain about others complaining simply want to see complaints evolve into something more than complaining. Maybe then complainers and complainers of complainers will see things eye-to-eye and finally exert some mutual, united, genuine pressure on Jones wait I said no comment earlier. Darn it. Nevermind.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I will defer to stating no comment about "pressure."

Jones answers questions, even supposedly hard questions, in standard narcissistic fashion. Case in point. Early August. 2021. Terry Bradshaw and Troy Aikman corner Jones on national television concerning inducting Jimmy Johnson into the Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor. Jones' response?

"I think we've got some great days ahead of us. We are going to certainly be recognizing what's happening here with the Hall of Fame, but Tex Schramm, who started that Ring of Honor, he said, 'Jerry, keep it kind of limited with people, but make sure it wasn't just about the plays they made. Make sure they contributed to the story of the franchise.' Now, it's kind of hard not to recognize [Johnson's] contribution to the story of the franchise."

Setting a date would guarantee a sold-out AT&T Stadium, nationwide media attention, months of sports talking heads discussion that would include him along with Johnson, etc. What has actually happened since then?

*Crickets*, which is actually not that much less than what Jones actually said in response to being put on the spot.

One must keep constantly hammering at a narcissist to get him or her to comply with a sought after action. They do not usually do what others want them to do. They do exactly what they want to do.

As far as fans speaking out against the owner, I believe some (not all but some) pushback is reaction to repetitive passive criticism of Jones. Perhaps some who complain about others complaining simply want to see complaints evolve into something more than complaining. Maybe then complainers and complainers of complainers will see things eye-to-eye and finally exert some mutual, united, genuine pressure on Jones wait I said no comment earlier. Darn it. Nevermind.
Bob Costas interview is a great example how tough or uncomfortable questions can be asked if you recall. One of the more revealing interviews with Jethro.

If they are continued to be asked then while most of the time we’ll see the type of typical response you’re referring like we see with many public figures deflecting questions they don’t want answer , we might also see him slip up.

That’s why we continue asking our public officials questions they often deflect as well. Public celebrities are no different.

DonaldM

Reaction score
I thought Bradshaw did a pretty good job. Telling him to fire himself on MTV. That was funny. Wonder if they ever talk.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I do not think they are necessarily supporting the Joneses, some just get tired of the same song. Just as they do when some turn every thread into a bash the QB thread.

I get the same thing because I am not quiet about my intense distaste for him but unlike you, it is for him, not what he does with the football team and I do not expect anyone to grab a pitchfork and join me.

Gregg, those of us staying in the vein are like the ant making love to the elephant when a coconut falls on the elephant's head and it goes "oomph" and the ant yells "suffer, baby, suffer".

However, there is a special intensity to the frustration of something wrong and we are so helpless to address in any way except protest. But what the hell? I am feeling that with so many things now it has become just normal everyday life.
I understand to an extent but how naive is it for fans to come into a Jethro thread like this title not expecting bashing going on .

I’m sorry, but they either don’t get it or simply looking to defend our owner. Ignorance, exhaustion of the subject or naivety is no longer an excuse .

You’d think this would be one subject we could all agree on. I say it’s time for this to bring us all together instead of dividing us like so many subjects can.
Thanks

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob Costas interview is a great example how tough or uncomfortable questions can be asked if you recall. One of the more revealing interviews with Jethro.

If they are continued to be asked then while most of the time we’ll see the type of typical response you’re referring like we see with many public figures deflecting questions they don’t want answer , we might also see him slip up.

That’s why we continue asking our public officials questions they often deflect as well. Public celebrities are no different.
In the past, Jones has slipped up when confronted with questions he did not want presented to him. That is known. What is not known is how Jones will react to constantly applied pressure. Also, questions are deflected for certain reasons. Questioning and deflection cannot be lumped into an all-encompassing rationale. I would like to continue down with that particular vein of discussion with examples of my own of questions typically posed to celebrities, etc., but will refrain in order to prevent a possible site rule #7 infraction.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In the past, Jones has slipped up when confronted with questions he did not want presented to him. That is known. What is not known is how Jones will react to constantly applied pressure. Also, questions are deflected for certain reasons. Questioning and deflection cannot be lumped into an all-encompassing rationale. I would like to continue down with that particular vein of discussion with examples of my own of questions typically posed to celebrities, etc., but will refrain in order to prevent a possible site rule #7 infraction.
And why we should keep as many tough and uncomfortable questions fired at him. And a collaborative campaign on social media and all venues calling him out.

i appreciate your cordial, respectful , insightful and well thought out responses .

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We all know the Cowboys are still a very popular team in TV ratings and in monetary value. JJ often crows about the monetary value of the Cowboys more often than he talks about wins. And why not? What else can he brag about? It’s certainly not been about playoff wins around here for a very long time.

Part of the current problem with JJ being the centerpiece of the entire organization is he fails to understand several fundamental “sports truths”- things that are accurate about sports and winning championships. Here is a list of sports truths I wish Jerry Jones would grasp:
  • Winning championships is the greatest sales pitch in sports. Jerry is a great salesman. He wouldn’t have to sell anything if they started winning playoff games.
  • The Cowboys aren’t popular because of business decisions- they are popular because they used to win a lot of playoff games. The Cowboys were extremely popular before JJ bought the team. Why? Because our Cowboys played in 8 of the first 30 SBs. (Now, we’ve missed 26 in a row) The Cowboys won 31 playoff games in its first 36 years. We’ve won 4 in the last 26.
  • Fans really don’t care how much their favorite team is worth. Especially when they don’t win anything of importance anymore.
  • Not all publicity is good publicity. Negative stories (like player arrests or other off field distractions) are never good for the team’s ability to focus on winning.
  • Nepotism is bad for large organizations where accountability is needed. Most NFL owners recognize that hiring their kids for football operation decisions is detrimental to team success. There is a lot of research available now that shows that nepotism is disruptive to organizational health.
  • Being an NFL owner is one of the easiest, risk-free ways to make big money. Even the Jaguars owner made big bucks last year because of revenue sharing and big TV deals. NFL teams’ value has gone up exponentially in the last decade. An NFL owner could go 0-17 this year and still make tons of money.
I’m glad the Cowboys are popular. But I know it’s based almost entirely on its glorious past. I just wish our owner would wake up and realize some of these sports truths. Fans don’t care about how much money this team is worth. It’s about winning championships.
well, you are describing these tenets for hard core fans...
#1facts is that its not about championships, its about bottom line and if championship could contribute to bottom line with proper ROI, then we would focus on that. given how much the cowboys are worth, having had the highest attendence in the league last year and 3 players in top 20 of the jersey sales should tell you, that you don't need championships to win.

#2 and thus your second tenet is wrong, given we are just as popular having been 1-3 in the playoffs in past 6 years and one of the worst in the league n past 25 years, yet appreciated in value more than any other franchise.

#3 fans don't care how much a franchise is worth. the owner does and that's his sole goal. thus how you feel doesn't matter to him. if you understand that, then you will feel a lot better.

#4 all publicity is good publicity for the business. never forget. bad publicity is bad for team chemistry which distracts from winning, but see the other tenets and understand that its not about championships.

#5 who care what you think about nepotism. he has groomed stephen to be his successor as any good king would, despite qualifications. he will make the franchise more valuable. and the legacy will be richer.

#6. yes, I totally agree with that, but it takes a lot of money to own a franchise. maybe we can all pool our money and offer to buy the cowboys......like GB

slick325

Reaction score
We all know the Cowboys are still a very popular team in TV ratings and in monetary value. JJ often crows about the monetary value of the Cowboys more often than he talks about wins. And why not? What else can he brag about? It’s certainly not been about playoff wins around here for a very long time.

Part of the current problem with JJ being the centerpiece of the entire organization is he fails to understand several fundamental “sports truths”- things that are accurate about sports and winning championships. Here is a list of sports truths I wish Jerry Jones would grasp:
  • Winning championships is the greatest sales pitch in sports. Jerry is a great salesman. He wouldn’t have to sell anything if they started winning playoff games.
  • The Cowboys aren’t popular because of business decisions- they are popular because they used to win a lot of playoff games. The Cowboys were extremely popular before JJ bought the team. Why? Because our Cowboys played in 8 of the first 30 SBs. (Now, we’ve missed 26 in a row) The Cowboys won 31 playoff games in its first 36 years. We’ve won 4 in the last 26.
  • Fans really don’t care how much their favorite team is worth. Especially when they don’t win anything of importance anymore.
  • Not all publicity is good publicity. Negative stories (like player arrests or other off field distractions) are never good for the team’s ability to focus on winning.
  • Nepotism is bad for large organizations where accountability is needed. Most NFL owners recognize that hiring their kids for football operation decisions is detrimental to team success. There is a lot of research available now that shows that nepotism is disruptive to organizational health.
  • Being an NFL owner is one of the easiest, risk-free ways to make big money. Even the Jaguars owner made big bucks last year because of revenue sharing and big TV deals. NFL teams’ value has gone up exponentially in the last decade. An NFL owner could go 0-17 this year and still make tons of money.
I’m glad the Cowboys are popular. But I know it’s based almost entirely on its glorious past. I just wish our owner would wake up and realize some of these sports truths. Fans don’t care about how much money this team is worth. It’s about winning championships.

Dynamite post Bullet!