Some of you all are just embarassing

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Problem is it's a bit too late to start changing philosophy, this team has been built for a running back oriented offense ever since Zeke was drafted. Sort of like drafting a bunch of heavy NTs and LBs to run a 3-4 defense, if you try to change to a 4-3 you're going to have problems, just don't have the right personnel, and to get them takes a while.

No, the Cowboys are stuck with needing a Zeke for now, I do think they will get a deal done by Sept 8th, because I think Jerry remembers what happened with Emmitt's hold out, lots of folks claimed with the Great Wall up front "any running back will do". Well, we saw that Derrick Lassic (sic) wasn't it, to me Pollard is the same, a talented back but NOT someone who's able to carry the ball 300-plus times, block for blitzes and catch 50-70 passes. Maybe he can, but I don't want to find out.

My view of this team is that with T. Smith's creaky back, Collins entering his last year on the current contract, guys like B. Jones shortly coming up for big contracts, they are in a win now mode. Jerry's no spring chicken, he doesn't have another 22 years to get that elusive sixth, non-Jimmy Johnson guys SB ring.

But hey, that's my view, you may be right, to each his own...
I don't disagree with anything you said here. I think Dallas is a closet pass happy team just waiting to come out. haha.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'd have to agree in part, Zeke does the hurdling thing and ducks away from contact some times, though I have no problem with that, I'd rather he be around more years than make tons of highlight reels for knocking into defensive players.

As far as the 3 you mentioned, Brown was 230 lbs in a time when defenders were a lot smaller, LeRoy Jordan was 215 lbs, e.g., so Brown had the weight advantage. Okoye was 254 lbs, I guess he was more a physical presence. Campbell was 232 lbs on a 5-11 frame, again bigger than Zeke, and we saw what happened to him after he tried to, and did, run over guys all the time.

Zeke does have a physical presence, not as much as Brown, etc. but I think if you ask DBs and LBs around the league if Zeke they don't relish the prospect of having to take on Zeke head on....
He wasn't. For all his size, Okoye was a speed back w/ no wiggle. He really wasn't all that good. Got a lot of press because he was huge and ran a 4.3 forty.

kskboys

Reaction score
Problem is it's a bit too late to start changing philosophy, this team has been built for a running back oriented offense ever since Zeke was drafted. Sort of like drafting a bunch of heavy NTs and LBs to run a 3-4 defense, if you try to change to a 4-3 you're going to have problems, just don't have the right personnel, and to get them takes a while.

No, the Cowboys are stuck with needing a Zeke for now, I do think they will get a deal done by Sept 8th, because I think Jerry remembers what happened with Emmitt's hold out, lots of folks claimed with the Great Wall up front "any running back will do". Well, we saw that Derrick Lassic (sic) wasn't it, to me Pollard is the same, a talented back but NOT someone who's able to carry the ball 300-plus times, block for blitzes and catch 50-70 passes. Maybe he can, but I don't want to find out.

My view of this team is that with T. Smith's creaky back, Collins entering his last year on the current contract, guys like B. Jones shortly coming up for big contracts, they are in a win now mode. Jerry's no spring chicken, he doesn't have another 22 years to get that elusive sixth, non-Jimmy Johnson guys SB ring.

But hey, that's my view, you may be right, to each his own...
Serious question: Why do you think Lassic was talented? He had a 3 year NFL career, and 1993 was the only year he got carries. He was 75/269/3.6 YPC. He played for us in 94 and got zero carries, and the Panthers in 95 and got zero carries. I'm simply not getting your comparison here at all.

catiii

Reaction score
Every time I read any reference to Pollard carrying the load....I want to scream and/or throw my laptop against the wall. You might be mad at Zeke. You might think he should "honor his contract". But does that mean you have lost all football sensibilities...or maybe you never had any?

One of the biggest things that many of you are missing....when you point to what Darren McFadden did...or what Alfred Morris averaged per carry...or what Pollard has done so far.....is NONE of them...force the defense to make a business decision. All yards per carry are NOT equal. All 100 yard games are not equal. All 1000 yards seasons are not equal. We all know about Zeke's ability to run, catch...and block. But late in games...especially when the season starts to drag on...peoples desire to tackle Zeke plays a big part in wearing down a defense. So it's NOT just about how many times Dallas runs the ball...it's how many times do they run the ball with a RB that makes the defense tap out.

So I know there are thread after thread on this topic. And I know everyone will not agree with my take. But some of you all should really STOP IT...with this nonsense comparing all of these guys to Zeke. Or thinking we have found Zeke's replacement after a couple of pre-season games. Or over valuing Darren McFadden's 1000+ yard season in Dallas. They are not Zeke for MANY reasons...and their inability to bring the violence and physicality to the run game is either not understood by some of you or not considered when comparing Zeke to them

Well, STOP IT!!

Last edited:

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Zeke's a great RB, nobody is denying that.
There is also nobody saying "just plug in another McFadden, everything will be fine".
Most of the "don't overpay Zeke" crowd - myself included - understand that if the OL is healthy and back to dominating, you can plug in a pretty good back (think of DeMarco Murray in 2014) and defenses will have to stack the box like they have with Zeke. It's not a belief that any ol' scrub RB equals Zeke, or that they shouldn't try to retain Zeke at the right price.
None of this happens in a vacuum. They have to manage the salary cap, and if it comes down to it, will have to make some tough decisions and may have to let one of these great young players go. It's a lot to consider. Teams like NE, PITT, BAL, GB, NYG, have had to let great players walk in the past, and usually manage to find a quality replacement on a rookie contract to plug in and keep on chugging. Such is life.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Sorry...I had to start a new thread...because I don't want this point to be lost. Some of you all...with 10,000....15,000....20,000+ posts on this board...your LACK of understanding the game of football is down right embarrassing. And it's not about us all having to agree on everything....we should and we do RESPECTFULLY disagree with one another a lot. But there is a difference in disagreeing...and debating with people who simply don't know the game. And maybe EVERYONE on this board THINKS they know the game...but many of you don't...and you lead people astray who admittedly are here to learn from people here that are SUPPOSED to know the game.

Every time I read any reference to Pollard carrying the load....I want to scream and/or throw my laptop against the wall. You might be mad at Zeke. You might think he should "honor his contract". But does that mean you have lost all football sensibilities...or maybe you never had any?

One of the biggest things that many of you are missing....when you point to what Darren McFadden did...or what Alfred Morris averaged per carry...or what Pollard has done so far.....is NONE of them...force the defense to make a business decision. All yards per carry are NOT equal. All 100 yard games are not equal. All 1000 yards seasons are not equal. We all know about Zeke's ability to run, catch...and block. But late in games...especially when the season starts to drag on...peoples desire to tackle Zeke plays a big part in wearing down a defense. So it's NOT just about how many times Dallas runs the ball...it's how many times do they run the ball with a RB that makes the defense tap out.

So I know there are thread after thread on this topic. And I know everyone will not agree with my take. But some of you all should really STOP IT...with this nonsense comparing all of these guys to Zeke. Or thinking we have found Zeke's replacement after a couple of pre-season games. Or over valuing Darren McFadden's 1000+ yard season in Dallas. They are not Zeke for MANY reasons...and their inability to bring the violence and physicality to the run game is either not understood by some of you or not considered when comparing Zeke to them
You got one thing right: some people on here are embarrassing.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I'd have to agree in part, Zeke does the hurdling thing and ducks away from contact some times, though I have no problem with that, I'd rather he be around more years than make tons of highlight reels for knocking into defensive players.

As far as the 3 you mentioned, Brown was 230 lbs in a time when defenders were a lot smaller, LeRoy Jordan was 215 lbs, e.g., so Brown had the weight advantage. Okoye was 254 lbs, I guess he was more a physical presence. Campbell was 232 lbs on a 5-11 frame, again bigger than Zeke, and we saw what happened to him after he tried to, and did, run over guys all the time.

Zeke does have a physical presence, not as much as Brown, etc. but I think if you ask DBs and LBs around the league if Zeke they don't relish the prospect of having to take on Zeke head on....
Agreed he is one of the more physical RBs in the league but if we could get the production from a much cheaper back in Pollard that would let us sign more talent and ultimately better the team I am not against that . If Zeke continues to hold out we might get to see just what we have in Pollard

Blackrain

Reaction score
No one ever punished DB's or defenders more than Campbell. Watching his highlight reels is something to see. Guys tearing his shirt off while he is still running. Spearing a defender in his chest with his helmet and still running. He was electric to watch. But it did wear him down real fact. For the first couple 3 years though, he was dynamite.

I amend this to add in Larry Czonka too. He was an absolute abuser of defenders also in his day.
My bad forgot about Czonka and Riggins was formidable to

Blackrain

Reaction score
So paying him a dollar less than Gurley makes you more comfortable with his potential for off the field missteps? No matter if or when he gets a new deal....I am sure behavioral clauses will be part of the language. And if you are that concerned about his off the field behavior...don't re-sign him.....trade him! And at this point I don't care what they do. I know with Zeke we HAVE a chance to win it all....without him....we have ZERO chance. So do SOMETHING so this team and fan base can move on. If they don't want to pay him...stick to your guns and move him!

Well its Jerrys money and if it was me I wouldnt feel real comfortable signing him for big money period. Thats why he has no endorsements nobody trusts his character because he continues to screw up .

Would you invest all your cash on an ultra talented guy that has a very real chance of getting drunk putting his hands on someone and getting banned from the NFL.

I dont know why you are in such a panic , So do something even if its wrong , NO WAY patients will prevail in this situation because for once we are in the driver's seat and have all the leverage.

Jerry probably would have given him top money by now if he was in camp doing his job but Jerry is the freakin BOSS and worked hard to get where he is and sure as heck isnt going to be told what he is going to to do by some young punk who makes poor decisions like Zeke

Zeke knows his credibility and respect is gone probably kills him seeing Dak in all the commercials. He thinks being the highest paid will get him respect . He is wrong till he fixes his character issues he will have no respect and trying to strong-arm Jerry is going to make it worse

jnday

Reaction score
Sorry...I had to start a new thread...because I don't want this point to be lost. Some of you all...with 10,000....15,000....20,000+ posts on this board...your LACK of understanding the game of football is down right embarrassing. And it's not about us all having to agree on everything....we should and we do RESPECTFULLY disagree with one another a lot. But there is a difference in disagreeing...and debating with people who simply don't know the game. And maybe EVERYONE on this board THINKS they know the game...but many of you don't...and you lead people astray who admittedly are here to learn from people here that are SUPPOSED to know the game.

The RBs you named gained the least impactful yards possible that came after the game was over McFadden had 1000 yards with most of them coming at the end of games when defenses was letting him run to run the clock off. He had no meaningful yards at all.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Zeke is a physical runner but watch some old footage of Jim Brown , Earl Campbell , and the Nigerian NightMare. They made defenses Tap Out . Zeke presents a physical presence but not to the point of making a defense quit
* Jim Brown ,9 years in the league, 9 consecutive pro bowl appearances:bow:

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
The RBs you named gained the least impactful yards possible that came after the game was over McFadden had 1000 yards with most of them coming at the end of games when defenses was letting him run to run the clock off. He had no meaningful yards at all.
Trting convincing the fans that cite what McFadden did with this OL.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Agreed he is one of the more physical RBs in the league but if we could get the production from a much cheaper back in Pollard that would let us sign more talent and ultimately better the team I am not against that . If Zeke continues to hold out we might get to see just what we have in Pollard
Yoh cannot measure zekes production by just looking at the stats. That is the point of this thread! And zekes stats are better than EVERYBODY'S!

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Yoh cannot measure zekes production by just looking at the stats. That is the point of this thread! And zekes stats are better than EVERYBODY'S!
:lmao:,,,er,,,COPY on that
Beatle Bailey,,,CUZ' YOU SAY IT'S SO:thumbup:

:lmao:lmao:lmao:

Blackrain

Reaction score

I fully understand your point in that Zekes punishing running style wears a defense down and can have them smoked by the 4th qtr . No one loves power running more than I do trust me .

That said I have gotten really tired of having a good offense one talented enough to win playoff games but a defense that just gives it up and kills their best efforts . We have a playoff defense now but we are going to have to pay those guys also . As good as Zeke is we just cant afford to pay him top money and have him do something stupid and not be able to play .

We have to do what's best to keep the most talent on the team and that may not be paying Zeke top money 2 yrs before we actually have to. Jerry will do what he wants but if Im paying a guy top money I want his character to be good enough that I dont have to worry about losing my investment through off field issues .

These suspensions are the bain of my existence beyond tired of that crap would hate to have to give up a couple of high character guys on defense to pay Zeke and then have him spit the bit again

jay94

Reaction score

As many want to hate on Mcfadden, our problems were NO throwing capabilities which in this era is more important than a good run game. Also our offensive line that year was 31st in penalties, tell me how are you going to move the ball when you can't throw the ball and way behind the chains? I'm sorry running back, with the cap era, can't afford him, I could care less if he comes back. Going from adequate to very good in terms of running back is a very small edge, now you want to talk about qb, pass rusher, offensive tackles or receiver, you have a monumental gap. Someone clearly broke down all his stats, and showed he was above average. He never has had MVP votes, and on pff was no where near the tops. A clear Cowboy bias that never stops hurting this team. I would rather pay an average Dak than Elliot. No you can't pay everyone, if we want no defense sign Elliot.

Last edited:

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score

The problem with your post is you are making the assumption that Pollard won't be able to force teams into making a "BUSINESS DECISION" never make assumptions. If Pollard were to start the season and in his 1st game carry 21 times for say 109 and in his 2nd game rush 22 times for say 110, plus throw in 1 or 2 catches a game, i guarantee you buy the 3rd game of the season opposing D's would be forced to make business decisions regarding Pollard. I get your point but until you see what Pollard can do in a real NFL...well quite frankly you can't make an informed decision as to what defenses will do to stop him