Some people need to stop this Troy wasn't elite take

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
When it was announced that Troy was retiring, I was listening to the Dallas sports radio at the time. They had Jimmy on to comment on Troy ending his career.

Jimmy stated that Troy could have thrown for Marino numbers. But the team concept required he not toss it all over the yard, but to get the lead and then allow the running game to take it home for the win.

People can say he was a system QB all they like. But for me, I'll believe the guy who went out of his way to keep Aikman when Troy was disappointed in the team early in his career. And get Troy on board to be the voice of the coach on the field and do what was required to win Championships.

Three Lombardi's suggest these people who pop off have little to no clue.

But consider this. The league, at one time, had games being played where the scores were low because defenses had equality in all competitive areas.

But the fans wanted scoring. Mainly because a defensive game bored fans. The league changed the rules to give the short attention span fans sizzle to keep the league exciting.

Aikman did what he was required to fit the game plan devised by Jimmy. It wasn't sexy, but it was effective. Much like the defensive battles of years gone by. No flash, just success.

I suggest fans who look at Aikman, must have a stat sheet in front of them to tell them who they should like because of a lack of understanding this game in its entirety. I also think if you went back to the passing rules before the receiver became untouchable, you would not see all the stats QB's are tossing out now days. Just my opinion.
I remember being in middle school and a classmate telling me Erik Kramer could do what Troy was doing in Dallas. I just laughed at him.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I mean, it’s hard to differentiate between eras and I believe posters are more inclined to stick with the Cowboys out of personal preference/bias. I personally think those units were just as talented. The Raiders had only 1 title due to the Steelers, the Hogs won 3 titles with 3 different QBs, Those Broncos lines could make any RB look good. And those Chiefs lines were just a beauty to behold, but they didn’t have the surrounding cast to have sustained success.
I still think it is a good thread topic. I would like to see the answers. Of course, you will get flame broiled by some. For example, any criticism of Aikman (however warranted) is considered blasphemy by many here. Got to roll with the punches. Give them the rope-a-dope and they will tire out. Their punches are weak.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
They each had different strengths and I keep waffling back and forth between the two. I do believe that Roger was more feared in his era than Troy in his. It’s like deciding between one pound of gold vs 16 ounces of gold…neither is a bad choice.
It really is such a narrow choice to me. I do live watching their old games on YouTube for a nice nostalgia kick.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
People who say he wasn't elite are the ones who have grown up watching this watered down version of the NFL where everything is designed to favor the passing game. Defenses back then were vicious. Troy was an absolute warrior and would murder you with his timing and accuracy. He'd be a 4000-5000 yard 35+td qb in today's league.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Exactly. The term elite is a vague term that is used far too often. Bottom line when your great your great at your job. We get caught up in Labels too much. Troy was just one of those guys that lived for the moment when he was called on. Some shrink, but the elite ones rise up and want that moniker and embrace it. Troy could have broken all sorts of passing records if he was asked to pass more. He was the epitome of TEAM. He never cared about stats, JUST WINS. Jim Plunkett was the same. Did what was asked. I think Jim could have had inflated stats as well if he had to do that to get a win routinely. But like Troy, he usually had a great supporting cast behind him at RB. Football is the ultimate team game. Guys like Dan Marino never could get a ring and the reason was simple, he didnt have a great supporting cast at RB. Danny White took us to 3 NFC Title games but never won a ring. One year he did it with Ron Springs and Timmy Newsome as the starting backs. Tony was hurt 1 year, I forget which year. Roger Staubach could have had another ring if we didnt have to play the Steelers 2 times. They were built the right way everywhere. Bradshaw did what was asked. Same with Troy.

Rayman70

Reaction score
People who say he wasn't elite are the ones who have grown up watching this watered down version of the NFL where everything is designed to favor the passing game. Defenses back then were vicious. Troy was an absolute warrior and would murder you with his timing and accuracy. He'd be a 4000-5000 yard 35+td qb in today's league.
Troys toughness for the time he played in made him elite.Not many could have endured the beatings he did then win like he did. I agree 100% with the above statement.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Anyone saying he wasn't elite needs to be mocked and ridiculed. And then sent to the ignore list.
A lifetime ban should be in order for them!
(tongue in cheek comment)

The highest rated player ever in the NFL Draft.
1st overall pick (obviously) in an incredibly talented draft.
Super Bowl MVP
3-time SB Champion
1st ballot Hall of Famer

People can argue about Romo and Dak all day long
but dissing Troy Aikman calls for a public tar and feathering, possibly a burning at the stake, for each
offender. Time to improve the gene pool.

(For those who can't take a joke, I got 2 fingers for ya..lol)

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Is he elite though? Isn’t elite saved for the best quarterbacks in the league? Was he better than Marino?

I’ll say he was elite because he has the hardware but he played with more hall of famers then anyone. We discredit Purdy because of his talent but not Aikman?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Troy understood the right way to play the game and what it took from a team standpoint. Totally humble and willing to defer to others if that was needed. When it was time for him to shine, he never failed us in a big moment. He flipped a switch and he was unreal. I never seen a guy so accurate as him under heavy pressure. I think he craved the pressure and needed it because he carried a chip on his shoulder from his OU days with Switzer. I think that drove him to be great. Stands to reason that when we hired Barry he didn't like him.Troy never forgave him for how he was mishandled in College. I think these days the 2 are likely ok with each other. But not back then.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
You know who you are. Troy Aikman was a legendary quarterback and he was one of the best! Enough of this bull. You youngsters have no idea what you missed with that man. He was a true Cowboy and the recent attack on his reputation is asinine. Sit down and go watch some of his highlights and how clutch he was in the postseason. Do it and your mind might be changed!
How anyone can think negatively about Troy is beyond me.
One of the best to ever wear the star.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Is he elite though? Isn’t elite saved for the best quarterbacks in the league? Was he better than Marino?

I’ll say he was elite because he has the hardware but he played with more hall of famers then anyone. We discredit Purdy because of his talent but not Aikman?
Yes to Marino, just different stats. Playoff and super-bowls wins vs yards and TDs.

Who is discrediting Purdy? You? Do you know what Purdy has accomplished in his first 20 games? Blows away those "stats" but more important wins than Young and Montana as they started out. Local San Fran heroes and super-bowl / HOF QBs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You have some boneheads that don’t think any of the Cowboys QBs were any good. I’ve seen fans here point to Staubach and Aikman‘s career numbers as the reason they weren’t any good. :rolleyes: