Some perspective for Jerry Tonight

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since 1993 Cowboy fans have had their loyalty taken hostage by a man who bought an NFL franchise for the sole purpose of making money.

The NFL is a tax exempt organization. NFL teams are considered a collaboration between the owner and taxpayers in the area those teams represent. NFL teams were supported by the owner of a successful business. It was a way to increase the reputation of his business while giving something back to the community. Most teams lost money but the owner gained in the way that team enhanced the loyalty of consumers to his company.

The average lower to middle class fans were not pushed out by predatory season pass policies as they are today.

So now Jerry Jones owns the most profitable business in all Pro sports. He should be ashamed of himself. But that's not enough for Jerry. He has to be the GM and sometimes even the Head Coach (See Wade Phillips, Defensive Coordinator). Then, posing as an knowledgeable GM, he deceptively informs the fans of the great season coming up while neglecting to mention serious injuries and concerns detrimental to the success of the team in an effort to increase ticket sales.

If only Jerry would behave like the owners of successful NFL franchises by keeping his mouth shut and signing checks, the only exception being when they accept the Lombardi trophy on behalf of the team, it's fans, and the community they represent. Alas, even after he is long gone and buried, we must then endure his progeny.
Your point about how NFL owners used to be seen as being collaborators with the community is lost on most people. The modern NFL owner seems to have little care for the cost of its product in relation to its community. The middle class and below have been squeezed out of the NFL by greed.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Your point about how NFL owners used to be seen as being collaborators with the community is lost on most people. The modern NFL owner seems to have little care for the cost of its product in relation to its community. The middle class and below have been squeezed out of the NFL by greed.
I missed plastic mans post. Best in the thread!!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's not overlook that thousands of fans probably died of old age and never got to see the team in the SB again.

We're about to see more pass on and not get even close to a SB.
When I watched SB XXX 25 years ago with my sons and my dad, I never dreamed 25 years later we would have never even come close. My dad was 61 that SB Sunday, now he’s 86 and has Alzheimer’s. My 3 sons were 11, 9 and 7 that day. They are now 36, 34 and 32 and consider the Cowboys a joke.

25 years ago, I would have never dreamed the Cowboys wouldn’t have even won a divisional playoff game, much less a SB.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Wonder how history would have changed for many people if Robert Kraft decided he was going to run the team 15 years ago and got rid of Belichik.

He decided it was that easy and wanted all the credit for himself.

It seems ridiculous just typing it, imagine reality.

This is basically what happened in Dallas and we are all the victims. Still taking the bait because it's in our blood.

I guess Jerry playing at Arkansas makes all the difference between the two situations. Then he brings in his son who isnt qualified to do much more.

We are shocked at the results?

Youll never hear it publicly, but I'm sure much of the league laughs at their attempt to run a football team.

I'm also sure none of them want it to end.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Since 1993 Cowboy fans have had their loyalty taken hostage by a man who bought an NFL franchise for the sole purpose of making money.

The NFL is a tax exempt organization. NFL teams are considered a collaboration between the owner and taxpayers in the area those teams represent. NFL teams were supported by the owner of a successful business. It was a way to increase the reputation of his business while giving something back to the community. Most teams lost money but the owner gained in the way that team enhanced the loyalty of consumers to his company.

The average lower to middle class fans were not pushed out by predatory season pass policies as they are today.

So now Jerry Jones owns the most profitable business in all Pro sports. He should be ashamed of himself. But that's not enough for Jerry. He has to be the GM and sometimes even the Head Coach (See Wade Phillips, Defensive Coordinator). Then, posing as an knowledgeable GM, he deceptively informs the fans of the great season coming up while neglecting to mention serious injuries and concerns detrimental to the success of the team in an effort to increase ticket sales.

If only Jerry would behave like the owners of successful NFL franchises by keeping his mouth shut and signing checks, the only exception being when they accept the Lombardi trophy on behalf of the team, it's fans, and the community they represent. Alas, even after he is long gone and buried, we must then endure his progeny.
Best post in the thread sir!!!

Id only add Jethro also bought a NFL team to fulfill his dreams of running a football franchise. Making money was a needed benefit .

And the brilliant revenue streams he implemented were to prevent from being held financially accountable from lack of success on the field.

Which had stuck with him from Tex’s influence which had told Jethro success on the field was necessary to the popularity and revenue which had dipped in late 80’s without the teams success.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wonder how history would have changed for many people if Robert Kraft decided he was going to run the team 15 years ago and got rid of Belichik.

This is basically what happened in Dallas and we are all the victims. Still taking the bait because it's in our blood.

I guess Jerry playing at Arkansas makes all the difference between the two situations. Then he brings in his son who isnt qualified to do much more.

Youll never hear it publicly, but I'm sure much of the league laughs at their attempt to run a football team.

I’ve shared this before but I have a cousin who is a huge egirls fan, and he tells me all the time that people in Philly absolutely love Jerry Jones. They want him to live to be 120 and stay in charge. He tells me all the time that Jerry has been a great boost to the egirls for a long time.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Yep

Note no other franchise has followed Jethro’s method or style .

fivetwos

Reaction score
I DO think he is running out of time though.

If things dont go well with MM, he cant be trying to sell Kellen Moore to the fanbase as HC.

I'm not sure he can sell much of anything except at least creating the image that he will step away.

The years of futility are really piling up into decades and counting.

The Dallas media is a joke btw. Is anyone at all tough on these people?

kskboys

Reaction score
So it’s Jerry’s fault for this supposed talented, especially offensive roster that people, especially Dak-stans, were cheering about in the off-season..
Of course. He's the GM. He's responsible for all, win or lose. He was responsible for the 3 super bowls. And now the 25 plus years of treading water are on him.

Why would you think otherwise? As the GM, it's on him.

kskboys

Reaction score
Jerry would prefer to win, all other things being equal. He prefers to make money more.
Possibly, but what Jerry prefers is being known as the man in charge. Most people cannot even fathom having an ego so large that nothing matters except self agrandizement. Jerry doesn't want to win, he wants to be Da man.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Agreed, BH. Yet, Jerry has the last laugh. He's by far the richest and has built the most financially lucrative sports franchise in any sport. Obviously, Jerry is doing something right. Don't you think?

He is not by far the richest. Jaguars owner is know to be 9 billions heavy.

And he may do something right. Its always depend what your goals and moral perspective is in live. To me having a lot of money has nothing to do with doing it "right".

cern

Reaction score
You clearly think and talk into your own vacuum dude listen there are tons of successful franchises that do this year and year out I gave an example in my original post. If you choose not to comprehend that's on you but teams like Baltimore with strong front offices figure it out and they go get people that will their culture to stay competitive every year. Those are facts no matter how hard you try to argue it.
i don't really see this as an argument. as with almost every facet of life, it's all about the money. we have chosen, wisely and unwisely, to put the majority of our cap money into existing players. sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. the cowboys way of doing things is in many instances "old school". that's because of jerry. stephen is slowly, inexorably taking the cowboys out of the dark ages and more into the new style of thinking . but he can't do it overnight due to his dad so he just keeps chipping away as his dad, more and more, gets out of the way. i personally like the "new age" gm's like philly and the rams have shown recently. but their way of free spending and deal making make them have to severely readjust every two years or so. i'm worth a ridiculous amount of money, but at 74, i surround myself with plenty of 30's and 40's guys so i'm always up to date on business strategies and money management. more than one way to skin a cat.

GMO415

Reaction score
When I watched SB XXX 25 years ago with my sons and my dad, I never dreamed 25 years later we would have never even come close. My dad was 61 that SB Sunday, now he’s 86 and has Alzheimer’s. My 3 sons were 11, 9 and 7 that day. They are now 36, 34 and 32 and consider the Cowboys a joke.

25 years ago, I would have never dreamed the Cowboys wouldn’t have even won a divisional playoff game, much less a SB.
That's eye opening.

cern

Reaction score
they are the basis of the tv revenue as they're the group that watches at home. luxury boxes, etc. are purely the venue of the affluent and just fluff in the owners pockets.

cern

Reaction score
Best post in the thread sir!!!

Id only add Jethro also bought a NFL team to fulfill his dreams of running a football franchise. Making money was a needed benefit .

And the brilliant revenue streams he implemented were to prevent from being held financially accountable from lack of success on the field.

Which had stuck with him from Tex’s influence which had told Jethro success on the field was necessary to the popularity and revenue which had dipped in late 80’s without the teams success.
other than the fact the nfl is a tax exempt organization is entirely wrong. the teams pay taxes just like every other business. they always have.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
other than the fact the nfl is a tax exempt organization is entirely wrong. the teams pay taxes just like every other business. they always have.
Correct. I was assuming he was referring to the NFL tax exemption.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Possibly, but what Jerry prefers is being known as the man in charge. Most people cannot even fathom having an ego so large that nothing matters except self agrandizement. Jerry doesn't want to win, he wants to be Da man.
This is the truth too many fail to see. Jerry wants to win, but it’s not THE MOST important thing to him. It’s probably 3rd on his priority list. There’s no other explanation for sticking with the model of him being the centerpiece of this franchise. The winning owners of the last 24 SB’s all decided to hire someone else to be their GM. 100% of them. Jerry’s “model” hasn’t worked for so long, not a single owner outside of him and Cincy owner Mike Brown think it’s even plausible.

SixFiveCowboy

Reaction score
i don't really see this as an argument. as with almost every facet of life, it's all about the money. we have chosen, wisely and unwisely, to put the majority of our cap money into existing players. sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. the cowboys way of doing things is in many instances "old school". that's because of jerry. stephen is slowly, inexorably taking the cowboys out of the dark ages and more into the new style of thinking . but he can't do it overnight due to his dad so he just keeps chipping away as his dad, more and more, gets out of the way. i personally like the "new age" gm's like philly and the rams have shown recently. but their way of free spending and deal making make them have to severely readjust every two years or so. i'm worth a ridiculous amount of money, but at 74, i surround myself with plenty of 30's and 40's guys so i'm always up to date on business strategies and money management. more than one way to skin a cat.
I agree there is more than one way but I tend to lean toward consistency especially when you talk about giving up the amount of money they give to some of the big name FA signers. I get the fiscal responsibility approach because you have to be some what sure that your investment is going to yield a high ROI. This is hard to do when you're looking at names, previous stats, and salary expectation. My point is you have to have the front office in place that can consistently differentiate between what piece could yield such a return and when to be fiscally responsible. I look at what Ozzie Newsome was able to do with no GM experience and keep his team out of cap hell all the while seeing two trophies in the meantime. I think Will McClay was a god send to the Jones but at some point you got to let the purse strings go and get a difference maker versus saying hey we know our guy we brought him in and try to add some spice to the gumbo or else you end up with what we've been seeing the past 25 years. I always look back at the TO signing and the level of success it brought we're a few bad plays and decisions away from one of those teams getting it done. But that's my take some times it's the Jimmy's and Joe's that make all the difference, especially when you look at our current linebacker and safety dilemma