Some positive notes from what I am hearing at camp

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Let me first say, it's extremely difficult to know how each player is truly doing just by hearing from practice observers. We all will get a chance to watch these players in actual games starting this Thursday night and then we can start drawing our own conclusions.

Based on what I have heard, read and see, here are some positives come out of camp:

Offense

-Tyron Smith might be having the best camp out of any player. Very pivotal season as he must show he can stay healthy for the majority of the season.

-Glowing reports recently about Connor McGovern, heard he is actually taking starting snaps now at Left Guard, where the other Connor is working as the backup center. McGovern is one of the most improved according to the coaches. Not sure if he is ahead of Williams, but he can be in the conversation now.

-Zeke looks like he really transformed his body this off-season. His lack of explosive plays has been a big issue, but everything said is very encouraging at this point.

Defense

-Just like McGovern, hearing similar things about Gallimore. Gallimore might be that 2nd yr year that takes a big jump. Let's also remember McGovern in essence was just a rookie too last yr.

-Randy Gregory is getting rave reviews, not just as a pass rusher, but also against the run. Everything is there for him to have that breakout yr.

-LVE is flying around again and having a very productive camp. They moved him back to his natural weakside position. Just like Tyron, must show he can play a full season.

-Parsons has star potential, making many wow plays every practice. His maturity is the biggest surprise to me as he looks like he is taking the coaching.

-Many good things about the secondary, but let's not get too crazy yet, as they are playing against street fa type of backup QB's. Diggs is another one who looks to make the 2nd yr jump. Canady has been a surprise. Kazee continues to always been around the football, which is what you want a safety to be like.
Nice contribution, Cowboyny. I really feel LVE is the piece that the Cowboys need playing productive ball at a high level the most on the D. He is such an instinctive playmaker with tremendous physical ability. It also seems he prepares very well for his opponent. Hope he stays healthy.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Decide which we need most, Schultz or Jarwin, then look to trade one for a corner and a 3rd round pick. That other young TE can be developed at a gradual pace.
Having Schultz or Jarwin on the bench is a waste and we need corner help.
Why not trade both for 2 CBs and have one play both ways and run 5 wide

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Nice contribution, Cowboyny. I really feel LVE is the piece that the Cowboys need playing productive ball at a high level the most on the D. He is such an instinctive playmaker with tremendous physical ability. It also seems he prepares very well for his opponent. Hope he stays healthy.
I am one of the few who loved the pick a few seasons ago, but he needs to stay healthy. He has missed more games then Sean Lee in his first 3 seasons, which isn't good.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
From what we’ve been hearing I’m not anticipating sophomore slumps out of Lamb or Diggs they seem to be ascending even more

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

LVE is the biggest unknown on defense. Could be like the last couple of years, or worse. Could be like his 2nd Team All Pro year in 2018. And between the two, it's a coin flip for me. I just don't know what we'll get. But the signs so far have been good.

kumizi

Reaction score
Secondary is the obvious concern outside of health to Tyron, LVE, Zach, etc. We're a #1 corner and better free safety away from being a potential contender.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I have been hearing how great a camp CeeDee Lamb is having and that it’s basically a toss up between him and Tyron Smith for who is looking to be having the best camp.

quickccc

Reaction score
Let me first say, it's extremely difficult to know how each player is truly doing just by hearing from practice observers. We all will get a chance to watch these players in actual games starting this Thursday night and then we can start drawing our own conclusions.

Based on what I have heard, read and see, here are some positives come out of camp:

Offense

-Tyron Smith might be having the best camp out of any player. Very pivotal season as he must show he can stay healthy for the majority of the season.

-Glowing reports recently about Connor McGovern, heard he is actually taking starting snaps now at Left Guard, where the other Connor is working as the backup center. McGovern is one of the most improved according to the coaches. Not sure if he is ahead of Williams, but he can be in the conversation now.

-Zeke looks like he really transformed his body this off-season. His lack of explosive plays has been a big issue, but everything said is very encouraging at this point.

Defense

-Just like McGovern, hearing similar things about Gallimore. Gallimore might be that 2nd yr year that takes a big jump. Let's also remember McGovern in essence was just a rookie too last yr.

-Randy Gregory is getting rave reviews, not just as a pass rusher, but also against the run. Everything is there for him to have that breakout yr.

-LVE is flying around again and having a very productive camp. They moved him back to his natural weakside position. Just like Tyron, must show he can play a full season.

-Parsons has star potential, making many wow plays every practice. His maturity is the biggest surprise to me as he looks like he is taking the coaching.

-Many good things about the secondary, but let's not get too crazy yet, as they are playing against street fa type of backup QB's. Diggs is another one who looks to make the 2nd yr jump. Canady has been a surprise. Kazee continues to always been around the football, which is what you want a safety to be like.

OFFENSE:
CeeDee Lamb
Dalton Schultz
Tyron Smith
Michael Gallup
* Noah Brown

DEFENSE
Randy Gregory
Michah Parsons
Trevor Diggs
Kelvin Joseph
Donovan Wilson
Nahshon Wright
LVE
Anthony Brown
Quinton Bohanna
* Damonte Kazee

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Love seeing Bossman show out in camp. We'll see how he handles adversity, but that silky smooth man-coverage athleticism is all there.

Not surprised at all that CeeDee and Gregory are destroying the TC... both are just dripping with talent and Gregory especially is finally getting a chance to use it. I think those two are your breakout studs of 2021.

Schultz though is a guy I was dead wrong about... I didn't think he had enough juice to play in the league, but he got his shot last season and he's just solid at everything. Catching, blocking, separating, run after the catch... he's just a super assignment sound dude. Jarwin isn't as well rounded and is going to have a hard time beating him out.

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
I've often wondered if certain draft prospects get extra points if their fathers were in the NFL and especially if they are juniors. I'm not saying it's being done deliberately but i could see it done subliminally. Could it be a "star power" thing, something that will make them more popular with fans?

Could it be that the Cowboys got one of the best CB's in Joseph, one that was more under the radar?

plasticman

Reaction score
Noah Brown was my pet cat in 2017 when he was drafted in the 7th round. Many don't want him and say what you will but my man has been stickling like Velcro now going into his fifth year. I think he stays.