CFZ Some Things to Do and Not Do to Build a Championship Roster Here

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s been nearly three decades since we have built a roster that came close as a conference championship game. Some things need to change.
Here are some things we can do and also avoid to put together a roster that can compete again for a championship:
  • Never assume because you were “good” last year, you will be next year. Look at your roster with a skeptical eye. Where do we need to get better? Ask the q- “What does our team lack?“
  • Be willing to take risks- You can’t get better being safe all the time. No need to be reckless but be open to trades or an occasional big FA- Be open even for a trade of some of your better players if it makes you better for next year.
  • No one is untouchable except Micah Parsons. Micah is the only untouchable player on this roster right now. Tyron Smith (a guy I greatly respect) is a guy who is still here for sentimental reasons. He needs to go.
  • Don’t get sentimental about any single player. This kills us way too often. See Tyron Smith. See Zeke. This is the most sentimental front office in football. That’s nice. But it doesn’t win playoff games.
  • Always be open to improve at every position. Don’t be afraid to draft at a position you think you’re set. Look at what SF did by drafting Brock Purdy this year. They already had Trey Lance and Jimmy G. We never do things like this.
  • It takes the draft, trades and FA to build a championship roster. Takes all three. We have drafted well but it’s not enough. The “draft and development model” is at least a decade behind the times. You can’t win a championship that way now.
Obviously this is an incomplete list. But we cannot continue to do the same things year after year and expect to change the same results we’ve been getting the last 27 seasons.

cowboyec

Reaction score
bob...you are a real treasure.
wish you lived here in okc...the steak is on me.

one thing i like about coach mccarthy...he has shown a willingness to try...anything.
he could stand pat....leanin' on the high season ending offensive rankings.
with a...if it ain't broke don't fix it attitude.
he didn't.
he knows something is still not right.
he wants to win a title and he knows as good as its been...its not enough.
i'm excited to watch how this unfolds.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
It’s been nearly three decades since we have built a roster that came close as a conference championship game. Some things need to change.
Here are some things we can do and also avoid to put together a roster that can compete again for a championship:
  • Never assume because you were “good” last year, you will be next year. Look at your roster with a skeptical eye. Where do we need to get better? Ask the q- “What does our team lack?“
  • Be willing to take risks- You can’t get better being safe all the time. No need to be reckless but be open to trades or an occasional big FA- Be open even for a trade of some of your better players if it makes you better for next year.
  • No one is untouchable except Micah Parsons. Micah is the only untouchable player on this roster right now. Tyron Smith (a guy I greatly respect) is a guy who is still here for sentimental reasons. He needs to go.
  • Don’t get sentimental about any single player. This kills us way too often. See Tyron Smith. See Zeke. This is the most sentimental front office in football. That’s nice. But it doesn’t win playoff games.
  • Always be open to improve at every position. Don’t be afraid to draft at a position you think you’re set. Look at what SF did by drafting Brock Purdy this year. They already had Trey Lance and Jimmy G. We never do things like this.
  • It takes the draft, trades and FA to build a championship roster. Takes all three. We have drafted well but it’s not enough. The “draft and development model” is at least a decade behind the times. You can’t win a championship that way now.
Obviously this is an incomplete list. But we cannot continue to do the same things year after year and expect to change the same results we’ve been getting the last 27 seasons.
Yes, we rely on the draft way too much.
It would be nice to take more advantage of the other avenues of team construction

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bob...you are a real treasure.
wish you lived here in okc...the steak is on me.

one thing i like about coach mccarthy...he has shown a willingness to try...anything.
he could stand pat....leanin' on the high season ending offensive rankings.
with a...if it ain't broke don't fix it attitude.
he didn't.
he knows something is still not right.
he wants to win a title and he knows as good as its been...its not enough.
i'm excited to watch how this unfolds.
I think Big Mac knows several things need to change. I think after the SF loss he had a very Frank conversation with the Jones boys about some of those changes. Going to be a very interesting off-season.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I think Big Mac knows several things need to change. I think after the SF loss he had a very Frank conversation with the Jones boys about some of those changes. Going to be a very interesting off-season.
i wonder if part of those conversations involved a different approach or use of f/a.
we'll see.
i'm not expecting them to make it rain...but come up a level or 2.
similar to what you addressed in your other thread.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Jerry has fallen into this trap many times since Jimmy Johnson left. The "We're one or two players away" mentality is a sure way toward failure.

The Cowboys have not done this in a long time. Sure they traded firsts for players, overpaid star players, etc. here and there, but they have never really taken the "win now" approach.

I suspect a lot of that is because they know that the Cowboys value with a winning regular season is profitable enough without a successful post-season if it means not risking bad seasons.

I have always said this. Every player is available for trade or release. Every position should be open to competition every year regardless of their contract or what they did last season.

Every player treats their NFL team like a job, and I have no issue with that. On the other side though, teams need to treat the player the same way.

You can have your one or two longtime fan favorite players, but even those need to have a limit.

As I have said many times, I would throw numbers at the running back position every year. Draft a couple of late round running backs and sign a couple more as rookie free agents.

All you need to do is hit on one good one every 2-3 seasons to have success and even if none stand out, you get fresh legs every year.

rambo2

Reaction score
I actually do not want to get rid of Tyron. I want him to play LT next year and if he breaks down Tyler can shift over.

We don't have enough depth along the OL to just cut Tyron.
There is an oline shortage league wide. I agree with you.

Creeper

Reaction score
Just about perfect!

"We like our guys" is the path to mediocrity.

Trades are great but you have to give up something of value to get something of value, unless you are dealing with Jerry. Then you give Jerry a 5th round draft pick for a top WR.

On the same topic, you do not have to trade anyone. You may want to, but you can always say no if no one wants to give you a fair deal. Before you put someone on the trade block, decide what it is you want for him. What is a fair deal? If no one gives you what you want. Call it off. Don't give away players or draft picks for nothing because they are lost opportunities. Trading someone of value for nothing just because he ticked you off one day is not a good business decision.

Also, always enter the draft with solutions to your problems even if they are not optimal. Do not create holes in the roster before the draft and fill the holes you have. Never go into the draft desperate for a player or position. Give yourself the freedom to take the BPA when it is your turn to make a selection. Any improvement at any positions improves the team.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Jerry has fallen into this trap many times since Jimmy Johnson left. The "We're one or two players away" mentality is a sure way toward failure.

The Cowboys have not done this in a long time. Sure they traded firsts for players, overpaid star players, etc. here and there, but they have never really taken the "win now" approach.

I suspect a lot of that is because they know that the Cowboys value with a winning regular season is profitable enough without a successful post-season if it means not risking bad seasons.

I have always said this. Every player is available for trade or release. Every position should be open to competition every year regardless of their contract or what they did last season.

Every player treats their NFL team like a job, and I have no issue with that. On the other side though, teams need to treat the player the same way.

You can have your one or two longtime fan favorite players, but even those need to have a limit.

As I have said many times, I would throw numbers at the running back position every year. Draft a couple of late round running backs and sign a couple more as rookie free agents.

All you need to do is hit on one good one every 2-3 seasons to have success and even if none stand out, you get fresh legs every year.
Yes on the RB ideas. Because when you draft a RB in the first 2-3 rounds, you feel obligated to keep them too long. There are so many decent RBs available each year, it makes little sense to invest big cap space to that position.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Good points.

Majic

Reaction score
Absolutely spot on. Please send it to the front office addressed to the Jones family

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I actually do not want to get rid of Tyron. I want him to play LT next year and if he breaks down Tyler can shift over.

We don't have enough depth along the OL to just cut Tyron.
Right. I can see them drafting a tackle, but that seems excessive when you can do it next year, and you still don't know what you have in Welletsgo and you still have a HOF player, albeit an injured one.

Tyler Smith helps solve the depth issue, because he'll go where you tell him, which I thought set a nice example for Tyron Smith to follow. Because otherwise, I can't see him just moving over to RT without putting up a fuss. Those two give us versatility. We have Martin, and Biadasz, so it makes more sense to build on those guys and fill the weaker holes this year.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All of Bunch of nonsense.

Most of your claims are wrong.

They couldn't move on from Zeke because his contract was guaranteed thru 2022.

Josh Ball would have been the RT after Steele's injury if Tyron was not on the roster. The decision to keep him was made before the draft. The top OT contract is now approaching 2x Tyron's AAV.

Fan's always think players on the roster have more trade value than they have in reality.

In the Tom Brady era, the Patriots were one of the most conservative teams with regards to spending on free agents.

Commodes were the free agent winners for many years.

The Pat's lost in the playoffs 11 of 17 times. A huge part of their SB success was just making it to the playoffs almost every year. That's the Cowboys current model. They had to be conservative spenders to maintain good teams during Brady's 19 seasons.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What if you could trade Parsons for Herbert, Allen or Mahomes?