CFZ Some Things to Do and Not Do to Build a Championship Roster Here

offlimits

Reaction score
It’s been nearly three decades since we have built a roster that came close as a conference championship game. Some things need to change.
Here are some things we can do and also avoid to put together a roster that can compete again for a championship:
  • Never assume because you were “good” last year, you will be next year. Look at your roster with a skeptical eye. Where do we need to get better? Ask the q- “What does our team lack?“
  • Be willing to take risks- You can’t get better being safe all the time. No need to be reckless but be open to trades or an occasional big FA- Be open even for a trade of some of your better players if it makes you better for next year.
  • No one is untouchable except Micah Parsons. Micah is the only untouchable player on this roster right now. Tyron Smith (a guy I greatly respect) is a guy who is still here for sentimental reasons. He needs to go.
  • Don’t get sentimental about any single player. This kills us way too often. See Tyron Smith. See Zeke. This is the most sentimental front office in football. That’s nice. But it doesn’t win playoff games.
  • Always be open to improve at every position. Don’t be afraid to draft at a position you think you’re set. Look at what SF did by drafting Brock Purdy this year. They already had Trey Lance and Jimmy G. We never do things like this.
  • It takes the draft, trades and FA to build a championship roster. Takes all three. We have drafted well but it’s not enough. The “draft and development model” is at least a decade behind the times. You can’t win a championship that way now.
Obviously this is an incomplete list. But we cannot continue to do the same things year after year and expect to change the same results we’ve been getting the last 27 seasons.
...but you realize that the FO will NOT spend in FA. Right?

EndGame

Reaction score
That’s true. The niners got lucky with that pick. But it also shows us that you can’t get lucky on someone you never draft. Drafting a QB every other year is a good idea IMO because you never know if you’re going to find a diamond in the rough.
On this we agree. The Cowboys have done this on an inconsistent basis, and most of them have been failed picks. Mike White is an interesting case study, though. The Cowboys drafted him and later waived him a year or so later in (I think) the last cutdown of the preseason. I believe their intention was to get him on the practice squad. The Jets grabbed him and shuffled him back and forth to their practice squad, just like the Cowboys did. It took years but, when he got a chance, he turned into a very solid backup / borderline weak starter. The problem is that with guys like that, it's hard to be patient when they don't show much for two or three years. I'd be curious what we'd know about Brock Purdy if the top two San Fran quarterbacks hadn't gotten hurt this season. Probably nothing.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
These are all great ideas and strategies but we must take into consideration of our dysfunctional organization leaders ways. And what motivates those decisions .

Then and only then can we begin to develop a plan to overcome Jethro and Sons ways. Can’t fit a square peg into a round hole. Normal solutions don’t apply.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
It’s been nearly three decades since we have built a roster that came close as a conference championship game. Some things need to change.
Here are some things we can do and also avoid to put together a roster that can compete again for a championship:
  • Never assume because you were “good” last year, you will be next year. Look at your roster with a skeptical eye. Where do we need to get better? Ask the q- “What does our team lack?“
  • Be willing to take risks- You can’t get better being safe all the time. No need to be reckless but be open to trades or an occasional big FA- Be open even for a trade of some of your better players if it makes you better for next year.
  • No one is untouchable except Micah Parsons. Micah is the only untouchable player on this roster right now. Tyron Smith (a guy I greatly respect) is a guy who is still here for sentimental reasons. He needs to go.
  • Don’t get sentimental about any single player. This kills us way too often. See Tyron Smith. See Zeke. This is the most sentimental front office in football. That’s nice. But it doesn’t win playoff games.
  • Always be open to improve at every position. Don’t be afraid to draft at a position you think you’re set. Look at what SF did by drafting Brock Purdy this year. They already had Trey Lance and Jimmy G. We never do things like this.
  • It takes the draft, trades and FA to build a championship roster. Takes all three. We have drafted well but it’s not enough. The “draft and development model” is at least a decade behind the times. You can’t win a championship that way now.
Obviously this is an incomplete list. But we cannot continue to do the same things year after year and expect to change the same results we’ve been getting the last 27 seasons.
Preach bro

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And I’m not sure I’d agree we haven’t been close to a championship appearance this era. Reaching the Divisional round is as close as you can get.

This years team was as close as we have been since prob 2016 or 2018 when we were in Divisional round .

One possession or one score away is getting close. How we progress further is a worthwhile discussion. But I’d jus characterize where or how far we’ve been better.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Do not pay franchise money to a mediocre QB…. Oooops… too late
And then try to develop an offense to make him look Elite.

And then pay a RB top money after he’s peaked . And continue starting him when the back is producing more.

Some of the Cowboys issues go beyond normal solutions because our strategy isn’t normal.

Brax

Reaction score
Good post unfortunately I don’t think Jerry’s list is anything like yours

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Things to do: hire someone from outside the family to build your roster. Give him a reasonable of time. If goals are not met, fire him.

Things not to do: put your son in charge of personnel for life, regardless of results.

There's never a change in philosophy with this organization, and have a well-established ceiling that was reached again this season.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Yes on the RB ideas. Because when you draft a RB in the first 2-3 rounds, you feel obligated to keep them too long. There are so many decent RBs available each year, it makes little sense to invest big cap space to that position.
We draft to fill holes today and the problem is it generally takes a full year to get acclimated.

We should have drafted Breece Hall or Ken Walker Jr last year

And Jelani Woods in the 2nd round.

And Kept Cooper.

We need a lot of skilled players. After Lamb, Davis, and Pollard we don't have beans as weapons.

We're gonna have to get serious at getting some young wrs and Rbs w some speed

This oline is mature and can't hold their blocks like they could 5 years ago

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We draft to fill holes today and the problem is it generally takes a full year to get acclimated.

We should have drafted Breece Hall or Ken Walker Jr last year

And Jelani Woods in the 2nd round.

And Kept Cooper.

We need a lot of skilled players. After Lamb, Davis, and Pollard we don't have beans as weapons.

We're gonna have to get serious at getting some young wrs and Rbs w some speed

This oline is mature and can't hold their blocks like they could 5 years ago
We need a lot of skilled players”…True that.

Verdict

Reaction score
I actually do not want to get rid of Tyron. I want him to play LT next year and if he breaks down Tyler can shift over.

We don't have enough depth along the OL to just cut Tyron.
Tyron is well past his prime. He was a very mediocre OL when he played this year.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I'd tell the Eagles loving traitor to get out of the building immediately.
Perhaps Parsons is laying some ground work for subsequent seasons. Easy for you to call him a “traitor”. You don’t have to try to get around Lane Johnson in a football game. For fans it’s personal. For players it’s professional.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
What if you could trade Parsons for Herbert, Allen or Mahomes?
Parsons for Mahhomes......................HELL YEAH

Parsons for Herbert............................NO..................dude has not even won a single playoff game and I am giving up best rusher in NFL.

Parsons for Allen..............................LMAO.............Josh Allen chokes just as much as Dak does, had 14 picks this year (3 more in playoffs)

mcmvp

Reaction score
Good post…but I disagree about Parsons being untouchable. He could return multiple 1st rounders in a trade.. He would be Jimmy Johnson’s Hershel Walker if played correctly. Plus he is sort of a polarizing personality. It may be a good time to get a haul for him. Mind you, it would need to be a real haul.

I just think the game has changed to favor the offense so much…that a defensive player is never untouchable. I’d pull the trigger if the offer was substantial enough.