CFZ Some Things to Do and Not Do to Build a Championship Roster Here

kskboys

Reaction score
As much as people don’t want to hear this because getting mad at Jerry Jones is easier, the reality is we’ve just had a lot of bad breaks in the postseason. Michael Irvin going down against Carolina in ‘96, Crayton dropping the ball in ‘07, the Dez catch in ‘14 and the Aaron Rodgers making one of the GOAT throws in ‘16. Statistically the chances of losing all 4 of those games is small. Even this year was a one score game. Losing that many close divisional round games is a statistical anomaly.

Consistency is the key to breaking through. If you get there enough you’ll eventually win. I understand it’s easier to be superstitious and think there’s something cursed about having Jerry run the team that leads directly to statistically anomalous outcomes, but it’s just biased irrational fan think. He’s absolutely correct in saying the goal is to get to the playoffs as much as possible.

And for the record, we’ve made the 8th most playoff appearances since 1995. Our longest playoff drought was 4 seasons, and 28 other franchises have had longer droughts in the time. We’re competitive more often than the average NFL franchise.
Yeah, bad breaks like failing to build a championship level DLine.

You see, your way depends on luck. My way is to build the team where you minimize the luck needed.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It'd be great if only we could convince the Dallas FO to be actively committed to welcoming veteran free agent players with a better ranking than we have in the past. I'm partially encouraged to see that they've recently been somewhat more willing to do that. Of course, they have been, for the most part, older and not necessarily much more than 3rd-tier additions. However, let's hope it's remotely possible that they'll continue on that path and select some players much closer to being better than 3-rd tier additions. I say this fully knowing that it's asking a lot but hope springs eternal for the optimists such as yours truly. I think that's a more preferable mindset than always playing it safe. Here's hoping the Dallas FO realizes that at some point fairly soon. I'm relieved slightly to see that they've taken some baby steps lately. Let's hope their strides continue to lengthen. (wink, wink)

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
At the end of all acquisitions we need to have a max amount of firepower we can put on the field at once.

The only upside to our Starting rotation is with Pollard, Lamb, and Davis. Imo.

They are the only players who made big plays consistently.

We need a Trio of wrs or a Duo w an Elite TE going into the playoffs.

This is a throw out your best 6 skilled players "who can score" when it matters league!!

We have a #3 wr trying to be a #2 wr in Gallop and a #4 wr trying to be a #3 wr in Brown and we failed the test!!

But ya go back to the drawing board and ya fix the problem and stack this offense with even more talent than ya let go of.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
I actually do not want to get rid of Tyron. I want him to play LT next year and if he breaks down Tyler can shift over.

We don't have enough depth along the OL to just cut Tyron.
Getting rid of Tyron would be one of the most idiotic things we could do this off season. If he wants to show up at camp and compete for a job his resume affords him the courtesy to do so.

But like any other player he has to prove he belongs in the NFL in 2023.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think Big Mac knows several things need to change. I think after the SF loss he had a very Frank conversation with the Jones boys about some of those changes. Going to be a very interesting off-season.
If moving on from Zeke isnt one of those big changes than whatever else we do wont matter.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
At the end of all acquisitions we need to have a max amount of firepower we can put on the field at once.

The only upside to our Starting rotation is with Pollard, Lamb, and Davis. Imo.

They are the only players who made big plays consistently.

We need a Trio of wrs or a Duo w an Elite TE going into the playoffs.

This is a throw out your best 6 skilled players "who can score" when it matters league!!

We have a #3 wr trying to be a #2 wr in Gallop and a #4 wr trying to be a #3 wr in Brown and we failed the test!!

But ya go back to the drawing board and ya fix the problem and stack this offense with even more talent than ya let go of.

Davis?

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Getting rid of Tyron would be one of the most idiotic things we could do this off season. If he wants to show up at camp and compete for a job his resume affords him the courtesy to do so.

But like any other player he has to prove he belongs in the NFL in 2023.
if he's just a part time player he has to be allocated part time resources.

17 games are very long seasons at every position. They are gonna have to keep expanding the roster sizes imo

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What a great post, B Hayz. I hope someone from the FO is listening

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
He looks great next to zeke no doubt.
we never really get to see what we do have because we don't integrate and substitute players very well.

I think we need to churn the roster this year and bring in alot of skilled players

I'd keep Lamb, Pollard, and Davis in which to build around but I'm still looking to improve the Rb, Wr, and Te cores.

I'm figuring Gallop as the #3 wr at best.

And I'd rather have another top wr than avg te

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I'm figuring Gallop as the #3 wr at best.

And I'd rather use the monopoly money cap on another top wr than can open things up for everybody else underneath.

And hopefully Ferguson and Hendershot aren't getting 10 targets a game like Schultz down the stretch!!

Just use more 11 personnel so we're not watching 2-3 tes running spread passing formations w tes that are just average receivers. Urgh.

Last edited:

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Yeah, bad breaks like failing to build a championship level DLine.

You see, your way depends on luck. My way is to build the team where you minimize the luck needed.
Exactly. Being active in team building lessens the effects of “bad breaks.” It’s also amazing how hard work can make “good breaks” too.