CFZ Some Things to Do and Not Do to Build a Championship Roster Here

Flamma

Reaction score
It’s been nearly three decades since we have built a roster that came close as a conference championship game. Some things need to change.
Here are some things we can do and also avoid to put together a roster that can compete again for a championship:
  • Never assume because you were “good” last year, you will be next year. Look at your roster with a skeptical eye. Where do we need to get better? Ask the q- “What does our team lack?“
  • Be willing to take risks- You can’t get better being safe all the time. No need to be reckless but be open to trades or an occasional big FA- Be open even for a trade of some of your better players if it makes you better for next year.
  • No one is untouchable except Micah Parsons. Micah is the only untouchable player on this roster right now. Tyron Smith (a guy I greatly respect) is a guy who is still here for sentimental reasons. He needs to go.
  • Don’t get sentimental about any single player. This kills us way too often. See Tyron Smith. See Zeke. This is the most sentimental front office in football. That’s nice. But it doesn’t win playoff games.
  • Always be open to improve at every position. Don’t be afraid to draft at a position you think you’re set. Look at what SF did by drafting Brock Purdy this year. They already had Trey Lance and Jimmy G. We never do things like this.
  • It takes the draft, trades and FA to build a championship roster. Takes all three. We have drafted well but it’s not enough. The “draft and development model” is at least a decade behind the times. You can’t win a championship that way now.
Obviously this is an incomplete list. But we cannot continue to do the same things year after year and expect to change the same results we’ve been getting the last 27 seasons.
The final bullet point is important. We have at least one team in our division that uses all 3, draft, trades, and FA. It may not work all the time, but the ceiling is much higher doing so. And the floor is also lower.

Our owners/GM have to know this. I believe they prefer a system that keeps the floor higher at the expense of the ceiling. No need to ever go through a rebuilding period.

My guess as to why they do this, they were never really good at it during the salary cap era. They don't want to screw up.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I think Big Mac knows several things need to change. I think after the SF loss he had a very Frank conversation with the Jones boys about some of those changes. Going to be a very interesting off-season.
I agree. I think you are right. I get the feeling he was not comfortable telling them the truth about the anointed Kellen and Dak duo last year.

Or....or...he told them after the 49ers game the year before and they did not believe him until they saw it for the second straight year

Now that I think about it...I believe the latter is true. The Jonesboys...who because of their arrogance....did not believe McCarthy...and then they witnessed the horror 2 years in a row and it knocked them back. McCarty has been around a long time. Too many smart football people told anyone what the 49ers were going to do the first time around....they did it.....the Jonesboys thought it was a one off. The thought of that makes me laugh. These guys really think they know football. They thought there is NO WAY Purdy....at 700k a year QB could beat a guy we are paying 40+m.

The way the Jonesboys are not talking....but going about the business of burning down the coaching offices...is showing their wrath. They are seething. But the have no one but themselves to blame. They spent the entire offseason COMFORTABLE on their yacht....thinking they could just run it back. They spent the whole season hanging out on their radio shows...grinning at the sound of their own voices. They started twerking it up after trouncing Tampa Bay. And then another complete dud. Against the team that beat them the year before...who they just knew we were better than.

Again, Jerry will tell you exactly what he thinks...it is up to you to listen....he has not said much since that game....but here is what he did say...and I paraphrase...I felt good about our chances because of our advantage at QB.

Earth to Jerry....a in his prime Tom Brady was only winning Super Bowls by 3 points. You have to build a COMPLETE team. Not sit back an dream of Super Bowls because you paid a QB 40m. Heck you did not even WANT to pay him that. So that is proof that YOU did not believe you were going to get 40m of production. And they all make that or will make more than that at some point. So if you want to do this job...if you want this smoke....roll up your sleeve and do it.

I have been saying since the season ended that bold moves need to be made. The people you see getting ran off the property is a step in that direction. Players will be next. A sacred cow or 2 will be gone. A "promising" young player who they either portrayed as a cornerstone piece or who the fans thinks is a cornerstone piece will be moved for premium pick(s). Or at least that should happen. You cannot get better paying every guy you have anointed. Especially if you are expecting said players to give you a hometown discount. That ain't happening. Nor should it. Billionaires should not expect handouts from ANYBODY.

Changes are still to come....and its about d@mn time!

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
All of Bunch of nonsense.

Most of your claims are wrong.

They couldn't move on from Zeke because his contract was guaranteed thru 2022.

Josh Ball would have been the RT after Steele's injury if Tyron was not on the roster. The decision to keep him was made before the draft. The top OT contract is now approaching 2x Tyron's AAV.

Fan's always think players on the roster have more trade value than they have in reality.

In the Tom Brady era, the Patriots were one of the most conservative teams with regards to spending on free agents.

Commodes were the free agent winners for many years.

The Pat's lost in the playoffs 11 of 17 times. A huge part of their SB success was just making it to the playoffs almost every year. That's the Cowboys current model. They had to be conservative spenders to maintain good teams during Brady's 19 seasons.
Calling his post nonsense, and posting your reasons don't add up. The Dallas culture stinks, and it is a combination of bad management and over evaluating talent.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
bob...you are a real treasure.
wish you lived here in okc...the steak is on me.

one thing i like about coach mccarthy...he has shown a willingness to try...anything.
he could stand pat....leanin' on the high season ending offensive rankings.
with a...if it ain't broke don't fix it attitude.
he didn't.
he knows something is still not right.
he wants to win a title and he knows as good as its been...its not enough.
i'm excited to watch how this unfolds.
Great post my friend, I feel the same.

Why hire a coach like Mike and then not use one of his strengths?

I'm hoping this move means Mike has more power than we thought.

I've wanted him to call plays since we got him, and I have nothing against Moore. Mike obviously has seen a lot more than Kellen. And he's won with backups at almost every position.

Makes my offseason feel a lot better.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
It’s been nearly three decades since we have built a roster that came close as a conference championship game. Some things need to change.
Here are some things we can do and also avoid to put together a roster that can compete again for a championship:
  • Never assume because you were “good” last year, you will be next year. Look at your roster with a skeptical eye. Where do we need to get better? Ask the q- “What does our team lack?“
  • Be willing to take risks- You can’t get better being safe all the time. No need to be reckless but be open to trades or an occasional big FA- Be open even for a trade of some of your better players if it makes you better for next year.
  • No one is untouchable except Micah Parsons. Micah is the only untouchable player on this roster right now. Tyron Smith (a guy I greatly respect) is a guy who is still here for sentimental reasons. He needs to go.
  • Don’t get sentimental about any single player. This kills us way too often. See Tyron Smith. See Zeke. This is the most sentimental front office in football. That’s nice. But it doesn’t win playoff games.
  • Always be open to improve at every position. Don’t be afraid to draft at a position you think you’re set. Look at what SF did by drafting Brock Purdy this year. They already had Trey Lance and Jimmy G. We never do things like this.
  • It takes the draft, trades and FA to build a championship roster. Takes all three. We have drafted well but it’s not enough. The “draft and development model” is at least a decade behind the times. You can’t win a championship that way now.
Obviously this is an incomplete list. But we cannot continue to do the same things year after year and expect to change the same results we’ve been getting the last 27 seasons.
Lovely post sir!!!! To me one thing should I say ONE team comes to mind, and this team is currently going to the Superbowl! (Eagles!!!!)

Acceptablename

Reaction score
I actually do not want to get rid of Tyron. I want him to play LT next year and if he breaks down Tyler can shift over.

We don't have enough depth along the OL to just cut Tyron.
Draft a guard in the first two rounds. Tyrone history is informative

Brooksey

Reaction score
I actually do not want to get rid of Tyron. I want him to play LT next year and if he breaks down Tyler can shift over.

I'd like to keep him too but not at 17M. Are you trying to sign McGovern or letting him walk?

Flamma

Reaction score
Calling his post nonsense, and posting your reasons don't add up. The Dallas culture stinks, and it is a combination of bad management and over evaluating talent.
I don't think his post is nonsense. I didn't see anything in it that was wrong. But even though he's right, I don't believe anyone should use Tom Brady as an example of success while being conservative. If the Cowboys had Patrick Mahomes, yeah, be conservative. But we don't have a quarterback good enough to win a championship without a lot of help.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
All of Bunch of nonsense.

Most of your claims are wrong.

They couldn't move on from Zeke because his contract was guaranteed thru 2022.

Josh Ball would have been the RT after Steele's injury if Tyron was not on the roster. The decision to keep him was made before the draft. The top OT contract is now approaching 2x Tyron's AAV.

Fan's always think players on the roster have more trade value than they have in reality.

In the Tom Brady era, the Patriots were one of the most conservative teams with regards to spending on free agents.

Commodes were the free agent winners for many years.

The Pat's lost in the playoffs 11 of 17 times. A huge part of their SB success was just making it to the playoffs almost every year. That's the Cowboys current model. They had to be conservative spenders to maintain good teams during Brady's 19 seasons.
That was something that the Pats were very good at, finding low cost FA's that fit their scheme and what they were asked to do. Seeing some of that with DQ and some of the guys he brought in on defense Kearse, Hooker, Wilson.....

dreameaglegreen

Reaction score
we’ve been getting the last 27 seasons.
Isn't it 28 now?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Eagles fans are more informed than the CZ haters.

You often claim to be embarrassed by Jerry. I'm 1000x more embarrassed by the majority of Cowboys fans. The shear volume of moronic posts and threads this week is beyond embarrassing for the 1% of fans that are not whiny crybabies.
Stephen Jones, is that you? Lol. Lighten up, Francis.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If there is a player to give them a hometown discount, it would be him. They helped him out when he was a rookie with his parasitic family and he's never forgotten it.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Great post my friend, I feel the same.

Why hire a coach like Mike and then not use one of his strengths?

I'm hoping this move means Mike has more power than we thought.

I've wanted him to call plays since we got him, and I have nothing against Moore. Mike obviously has seen a lot more than Kellen. And he's won with backups at almost every position.

Makes my offseason feel a lot better.
i'm with you.
i think this move away from someone many thought...including me...was untouchable shows mccarthy has alot of pull.
it was time for a change.
excited for the future with mccarthy and how this unfolds.
season can't start fast enough.

EndGame

Reaction score
Look at what SF did by drafting Brock Purdy this year.
I agree with a lot of the original post, but let's be real -- Brock Purdy wasn't drafted to be a starter. They probably figured he'd be a camp body/practice squad guy who maybe, maybe, maybe someday could be a backup. You don't pick guys with the last pick in the draft with anything else in mind.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This has probably already been said, but I'll say it anyhow. I agree with a lot of the original post, but let's be real -- Brock Purdy wasn't drafted to be a starter. They probably figured he'd be a camp body/practice squad guy who maybe, maybe, maybe someday could be a backup. You don't pick guys with the last pick in the draft with anything else in mind.
That’s true. The niners got lucky with that pick. But it also shows us that you can’t get lucky on someone you never draft. Drafting a QB every other year is a good idea IMO because you never know if you’re going to find a diamond in the rough.