CFZ Some Things to Do and Not Do to Build a Championship Roster Here

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Parsons for Mahhomes......................HELL YEAH

Parsons for Herbert............................NO..................dude has not even won a single playoff game and I am giving up best rusher in NFL.

Parsons for Allen..............................LMAO.............Josh Allen chokes just as much as Dak does, had 14 picks this year (3 more in playoffs)
I'd do the Herbert deal he's going to light it up this year.

kskboys

Reaction score
Parsons for Mahhomes......................HELL YEAH

Parsons for Herbert............................NO..................dude has not even won a single playoff game and I am giving up best rusher in NFL.

Parsons for Allen..............................LMAO.............Josh Allen chokes just as much as Dak does, had 14 picks this year (3 more in playoffs)
You wouldn't trade Parsons for Herbert?

Ouch. Don't even know what to say.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes, we rely on the draft way too much.
It would be nice to take more advantage of the other avenues of team construction
We have been the youngest team in the league I think three times since Prescott was quarterback. So draft and youth without veterans should tell us something.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
In the Tom Brady era, the Patriots were one of the most conservative teams with regards to spending on free agents.

Commodes were the free agent winners for many years.

The Pat's lost in the playoffs 11 of 17 times. A huge part of their SB success was just making it to the playoffs almost every year. That's the Cowboys current model. They had to be conservative spenders to maintain good teams during Brady's 19 seasons.
The Patriots model works when you have a future HOF QB and build around him. You can even win multiple championships.

When you pretend you have a future HOF QB, or foolishly actually believe it, there is a ceiling. It's called the divisional round.

There's a huge divide between the Commanders way and the Patriots way. Dallas needs to find middle ground because Dak is never going to be Brady. He needs more help.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Patriots model works when you have a future HOF QB and build around him. You can even win multiple championships.

When you pretend you have a future HOF QB, or foolishly actually believe it, there is a ceiling. It's called the divisional round.

There's a huge divide between the Commanders way and the Patriots way. Dallas needs to find middle ground because Dak is never going to be Brady. He needs more help.
The model is getting to the playoffs consistently vs the all-in for a season or two model.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score

Funneling money to your QB through his nutrition business allowing him to ”take less for the team” helps also.

Amazing how that contract went away as soon as TB left.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-patriots-pay-a-brady-owned-company-run-by-suspect-partner/

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The model is getting to the playoffs consistently vs the all-in for a season or two model.
@xwalker your argument of “making the playoffs consistently“ as a ”model” for the Cowboys does not hold up under scrutiny.

In the 28 seasons since our last divisional playoff win, we have made the playoffs only 12 times, winning 5 wild card games. This year was the first year we’ve been in back to back playoff seasons in 15 years. So it’s not like this team has been a juggernaut appearing in the playoffs yearly. Since our last SB, the Cowboys have only made the playoffs 42% of the time.

What good is “being in the playoffs” if you only do so 42% of the time then never do anything when you’re there? Wouldn't it make more sense to be more aggressive for a team that has not been a model of consistency in even getting to the playoffs?

Last edited:

TWOK11

Reaction score
QB
OL
DL/front 4

To be a championship team you have to be good at all 3, great at 2/3, or have a transcendent QB that can get hot at the right time. This has been shown to be consistent across time.

Dallas has a good QB, an average OL and a good front 4. I would use our off-season resources to strengthen the OL and the interior DL. Adding punch at outside receiver would be nice, but ultimately making our OL and DL as good as we can will get us the furthest.

TWOK11

Reaction score
@xwalker your argument of “making the playoffs consistently“ as a ”model” for the Cowboys does not hold up under scrutiny.

In the 28 seasons since our last divisional playoff win, we have made the playoffs only 12 times, winning 5 wild card games. This year was the first year we’ve been in back to back playoff seasons in 15 years. So it’s not like this team has been a juggernaut appearing in the playoffs yearly. Since our last SB, the Cowboys have only made the playoffs 42% of the time.

What good is “being in the playoffs” if you only do so 42% of the time then never do anything when you’re there? Wouldn't it make more sense to be more aggressive for a team that has not been a model of consistency in even getting to the playoffs?
As much as people don’t want to hear this because getting mad at Jerry Jones is easier, the reality is we’ve just had a lot of bad breaks in the postseason. Michael Irvin going down against Carolina in ‘96, Crayton dropping the ball in ‘07, the Dez catch in ‘14 and the Aaron Rodgers making one of the GOAT throws in ‘16. Statistically the chances of losing all 4 of those games is small. Even this year was a one score game. Losing that many close divisional round games is a statistical anomaly.

Consistency is the key to breaking through. If you get there enough you’ll eventually win. I understand it’s easier to be superstitious and think there’s something cursed about having Jerry run the team that leads directly to statistically anomalous outcomes, but it’s just biased irrational fan think. He’s absolutely correct in saying the goal is to get to the playoffs as much as possible.

And for the record, we’ve made the 8th most playoff appearances since 1995. Our longest playoff drought was 4 seasons, and 28 other franchises have had longer droughts in the time. We’re competitive more often than the average NFL franchise.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As much as people don’t want to hear this because getting mad at Jerry Jones is easier, the reality is we’ve just had a lot of bad breaks in the postseason. Michael Irvin going down against Carolina in ‘96, Crayton dropping the ball in ‘07, the Dez catch in ‘14 and the Aaron Rodgers making one of the GOAT throws in ‘16. Statistically the chances of losing all 4 of those games is small. Even this year was a one score game. Losing that many close divisional round games is a statistical anomaly.

Consistency is the key to breaking through. If you get there enough you’ll eventually win. I understand it’s easier to be superstitious and think there’s something cursed about having Jerry run the team that leads directly to statistically anomalous outcomes, but it’s just biased irrational fan think. He’s absolutely correct in saying the goal is to get to the playoffs as much as possible.
Well said. But the problem is, we’re not getting to the playoffs consistently enough.

In the 9 full seasons Tony Romo was our starting QB, we only made the playoffs 4 times. Romo was good enough to have won more than that but we didn’t have great coaching and we had big holes in the rosters. In the 7 seasons Dak has been our starter, we have made the playoffs 4 times. We had our first back to back playoff seasons in 15 years.

My thought is- When you don’t make the playoffs more than 40-50% of the time, you should be more aggressive than this front office has been. They seem more concerned about just being competitive than going for it. I think McCarthy is the best HC we’ve had since Parcells. We should be aggressive this off-season.

TWOK11

Reaction score
Well said. But the problem is, we’re not getting to the playoffs consistently enough.

In the 9 full seasons Tony Romo was our starting QB, we only made the playoffs 4 times. Romo was good enough to have won more than that but we didn’t have great coaching and we had big holes in the rosters. In the 7 seasons Dak has been our starter, we have made the playoffs 4 times. We had our first back to back playoff seasons in 15 years.

My thought is- When you don’t make the playoffs more than 40-50% of the time, you should be more aggressive than this front office has been. They seem more concerned about just being competitive than going for it. I think McCarthy is the best HC we’ve had since Parcells. We should be aggressive this off-season.
Ironically, we make the playoffs more consistently now than we did back when Jerry was throwing money at anything that put on pads. We signed at least one big free agent or made at least one big trade nearly every year from 1997-2008 and we made the playoffs 5 times and never won a game. Since the FO really move toward the current model, starting in 2014 when McClay was elevated to Assistant Director of Player Personnel, we’ve made the playoffs 5 times in 9 years and 2 of the years we didn’t make it our starting QB was injured nearly the entire season. In the other two we missed the playoffs by one game. And the 2014, 2016 and 2022 teams were all title contending teams based on the analytic metrics that assess such things.

I’m old enough to remember when what the FO does now is what fans used to beg them to do. The way we’re doing things now has made it to where, when we actually have our starting QB, we’re either making the playoffs or have a chance to make in the last week of the year every season.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ironically, we make the playoffs more consistently now than we did back when Jerry was throwing money at anything that put on pads. We signed at least one big free agent or made at least one big trade nearly every year from 1997-2008 and we made the playoffs 5 times and never won a game. Since the FO really move toward the current model, starting in 2014 when McClay was elevated to Assistant Director of Player Personnel, we’ve made the playoffs 5 times in 9 years and 2 of the years we didn’t make it our starting QB was injured nearly the entire season. In the other two we missed the playoffs by one game. And the 2014, 2016 and 2022 teams were all title contending teams based on the analytic metrics that assess such things.

I’m old enough to remember when what the FO does now is what fans used to beg them to do. The way we’re doing things now has made it to where, when we actually have our starting QB, we’re either making the playoffs or have a chance to make in the last week of the year every season.
When I say we need to be aggressive, I’m not saying we should throw money at everything in pads. A great draft coupled with a couple of key FA signings (that aren’t bargain basement types) in areas we need to address immediately would be a major improvement. How about getting an impact DT along with possibly a WR or OL? That’s the kind of aggressive I mean.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You don't understand my post.

I don't feel like explaining it.

Shane612

Reaction score
I think Big Mac knows several things need to change. I think after the SF loss he had a very Frank conversation with the Jones boys about some of those changes. Going to be a very interesting off-season.
There's one thing he can't change, Jerry and Stephen....I guess that's two things.