Some Week of the draft thoughts!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
A middle linebacker is not that important unless you have stud. Your defense is only as good your front four. Wilson has potential but is too much of an injury risk. We have one pass rusher that scares anyone. The rest are jags.
Cooper is a do it all linebacker with pass rush abilities

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Honestly wouldn’t surprise me if whoever they pick plays like Stroud.
I wouldn’t expect that from any rookie in any year. What Stroud did last year was bonkers. Stroud is an elite and accurate thrower to all levels of the field . That Washington line has a lot to prove as it relates to protecting their QB. If the Texans add a couple pieces they are going to be an elite team.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I have been hammering if this team truly wants to become a legitimate contender they have to fix the trenches and not be such a 1 dimensional team on both sides of the football:

-If the truly want to run the football better, it's all about fixing the interior and keeping Tyler Smith inside at Guard. When I looked at the final 4 teams last season, 3 had elite centers and 1 had an elite scheme. Draft an elite option and our run game will vastly improve.

-What about running back? We have seen top teams find backs very late in the draft and are very effective in a rotational system. Chiefs spent a 1st rd pick on a back, yet their 7th rounder has become their lead back and a very good one at that. Wait on drafting a running back until day 3. Adding a 4th rd pick would be ideal to address this need.

-The Cowboy Defensive Tackle positional group is one of the worst on the entire team. Osa is good for half a season then wares down, perhaps cause they have nothing behind him. Team is relying on Mazi Smith to become an impact starter, but he had his struggles throughout his rookie season and is coming off of shoulder surgery. We just have journeyman Carl Davis behind him. They have to address this area and not with late day 3 picks either. Murphy/Newton would be a homerun, but probably going to have to address the need or needs on day 2.

-What about Linebacker? Kendricks is a quality bridge starter, have to ultimately find his future replacement at the mike. They already have Overshown with Clark backing him up at the Will. If they decide to add a linebacker early, he better be able to rush the passer to see the field. A position that is important, but more towards the future.

-Corner/Wide Receiver-depth is certainly needed, but it is going to be real difficult to spend a high pick on either with so many starter needed and just 3 premium selections.
Not with you on the Day 3 running back. Just because some teams have gotten lucky and found one late doesn't mean it's the norm. The percentages are quite low. Ideally for me, our first three picks would be in some order OL, RB, DT. I'd prefer a C on the OL because I believe that's our weakest spot, but it depends on who is available.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Not with you on the Day 3 running back. Just because some teams have gotten lucky and found one late doesn't mean it's the norm. The percentages are quite low. Ideally for me, our first three picks would be in some order OL, RB, DT. I'd prefer a C on the OL because I believe that's our weakest spot, but it depends on who is available.
The rb run is going to start mid 3rd range, obtain a 4th and you will get a quality back

cnuball21

Reaction score
I wouldn’t expect that from any rookie in any year. What Stroud did last year was bonkers. Stroud is an elite and accurate thrower to all levels of the field . That Washington line has a lot to prove as it relates to protecting their QB. If the Texans add a couple pieces they are going to be an elite team.
Certainly not the norm, but I think you can make an argument Maye and Daniels are better prospects than Stroud was.

Obviously surrounding talent and coaching matters though.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Certainly not the norm, but I think you can make an argument Maye and Daniels are better prospects than Stroud was.

And I meant the Commanders jump us IF they get great rookie QB play…not that I expect them too.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The rb run is going to start mid 3rd range, obtain a 4th and you will get a quality back
Some say mid-second to mid-third. Then, we're left hoping we get a quality back. I'd rather pick from the top of that group and get the guy I want than to take from whatever is left and hope for the best.

My scenarios would be;

1st Murphy or Newton
2nd Frazier or Brooks
3rd Estime or Wright, or Puni or Van Pran (if we took Brooks in the second)

1st Barton or JPJ (if Murphy and Newton aren't there)
2nd Brooks or Benson
3rd Sweat or DeWayne Carter

Of course, many of those players may be gone when we pick.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Some say mid-second to mid-third. Then, we're left hoping we get a quality back. I'd rather pick from the top of that group and get the guy I want than to take from whatever is left and hope for the best.

My scenarios would be;

1st Murphy or Newton
2nd Frazier or Brooks
3rd Estime or Wright, or Puni or Van Pran (if we took Brooks in the second)

1st Barton or JPJ (if Murphy and Newton aren't there)
2nd Brooks or Benson
3rd Sweat or DeWayne Carter

Of course, many of those players may be gone when we pick.
I believe Frazier might even be our pick at 24. Don’t want a back who just tore his acl, Benson I like, but many believe he is more of a mid 3rd rounder. Hearing Murphy could go to the Falcons towards the top of the draft.

I fine with Wright at 87, but taking a back at 56 is way too rich when the difference isn’t that wide from the top to the middle of the class

gimmesix

Reaction score
I believe Frazier might even be our pick at 24. Don’t want a back who just tore his acl, Benson I like, but many believe he is more of a mid 3rd rounder. Hearing Murphy could go to the Falcons towards the top of the draft.

I fine with Wright at 87, but taking a back at 56 is way too rich when the difference isn’t that wide from the top to the middle of the class
Could be on Frazier, and I wouldn't be surprised if Murphy goes early in the first. Not a lot of first-round DTs in this draft and they are usually coveted.

I think Brooks is clearly considered the best of a weak RB draft, so I don't mind him despite the tear. He might not be 100 percent the first year, but that doesn't mean he won't be good. I can live, if we miss out on Brooks, with either trading down and taking Benson, Wright or Estime, but I think if we wait until 87, we may be picking from players like Allen and Irving. I don't want us to take a back by default because other teams got the one(s) we liked, not unless we also add a back later in the draft to increase the chances that we hit on one.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Daniels and Maye are not even in the same stratosphere as a pocket passer. Stroud was an underrated prospect because of all the talent on Ohio State. Stroud is Goff on steroids. Daniels is poor man’s version of Lamar with two top 5 receivers at LSU. Maye is a poor man’s version of Herbert. Very disappointing season with North Carolina. Seems to have a hard time handling pressure. As soon as there was whispers that he was better then Caleb, he went down hill.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Daniels and Maye are not even in the same stratosphere as a pocket passer. Stroud was an underrated prospect because of all the talent on Ohio State. Stroud is Goff on steroids. Daniels is poor man’s version of Lamar with two top 5 receivers at LSU. Maye is a poor man’s version of Herbert. Very disappointing season with North Carolina. Seems to have a hard time handling pressure. As soon as there was whispers that he was better then Caleb, he went down hill.
I’d disagree…Stroud was accurate but pretty much every report out there knocked him as a systems QB throwing to wide open WRs every game that didn’t work through progressions very well. If you’re going to knock Daniels on having good WRs you have to do the same to Stroud.

And Maye had no help…he dragged that team to be competitive without him they would’ve been bottom feedersz

cnuball21

Reaction score
I’d disagree…Stroud was accurate but pretty much every report out there knocked him as a systems QB throwing to wide open WRs every game that didn’t work through progressions very well. If you’re going to knock Daniels on having good WRs you have to do the same to Stroud.

And Maye had no help…he dragged that team to be competitive without him they would’ve been bottom feedersz
Lamar also wasn’t on the same planet as Daniels as a prospect…

Obviously him and Stroud turned into studs but there talking about as prospects.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Ohio State was loaded no doubt but Stroud was the only quarterback that challenged Georgia’s great defense. I have watched LSU continuously lose big games with Daniels as the quarterback. He is the master stat padding. Florida State put him in hand cuffs but he had plenty of garbage time stats at the end. Maye never played well against stiff competition.

Carter

Reaction score
Still dont know why we didnt resign Tyron Smith to a deal in the range the Jets gave him. Would have easily been doable. Would have given us way more options in the early rounds cause Tackle would have gone from #1 need to maybe #3 or #4 need. Especially when it was clear that you lose your starting Center too.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Ohio State was loaded no doubt but Stroud was the only quarterback that challenged Georgia’s great defense. I have watched LSU continuously lose big games with Daniels as the quarterback. He is the master stat padding. Florida State put him in hand cuffs but he had plenty of garbage time stats at the end. Maye never played well against stiff competition.
Yea I just see it completely differently…LSUs defense was historically bad and they might not be a 500 team without him and dude won the freaking hesiman. And again Mayes team sucked…his tape is littered with top 5 throws / arm talent.

Agree to disagree.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Yea I just see it completely differently…LSUs defense was historically bad and they might not be a 500 team without him and dude won the freaking hesiman. And again Mayes team sucked…his tape is littered with top 5 throws / arm talent.

Agree to disagree.
I usually agree with you. :thumbup: Got a prediction you are gonna hate but you can see it happening. I think the Cowboys will trade back in the first round but draft Brooks the Texas running back with the first pick. Just to much smoke and he won’t be there at 56.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Could be on Frazier, and I wouldn't be surprised if Murphy goes early in the first. Not a lot of first-round DTs in this draft and they are usually coveted.

I think Brooks is clearly considered the best of a weak RB draft, so I don't mind him despite the tear. He might not be 100 percent the first year, but that doesn't mean he won't be good. I can live, if we miss out on Brooks, with either trading down and taking Benson, Wright or Estime, but I think if we wait until 87, we may be picking from players like Allen and Irving. I don't want us to take a back by default because other teams got the one(s) we liked, not unless we also add a back later in the draft to increase the chances that we hit on one.
We have seen players first hand coming off of that injury, Gallup never recovered and is off the roster, Steele really struggled as well. Why take the injured player where he may be half himself as a rookie? Take Benson if you want to take the best in the class! Players like Estime, Allen, Davis, Wright should all be there at 87!

cnuball21

Reaction score
I usually agree with you. :thumbup: Got a prediction you are gonna hate but you can see it happening. I think the Cowboys will trade back in the first round but draft Brooks the Texas running back with the first pick. Just to much smoke and he won’t be there at 56.
Say it ain’t so man…the only thing worse than Brooks at 56 is Brooks at 24.

There’s going to be a stud that falls and I’m terrified we’re going to blow it and draft someone like Kingsley.