Somebody talk me down

Knotamus

Reaction score
We started off slow in every playoff game. That's coaching
I hear what your saying.. I guess I see it another way. Coaching is what helped EVEN be in the playoffs in the first place. The coaching took an average defense and a rookie QB to the best record in football and the #1 seed. Besides, we were one Aaron Rodgers miracle play from the NFC championship game last year. If we started off slow (3pts), so did Greenbay (7pts). Although Dallas may have started off 'slow' ... Dak had 300+yrds 3tds, Zeke 120+yds, and Dez had 130+yds 2 Tds.. but the DL had 0 sacks. I think the blame for the slow start isn't the coaching.. it would be the inability to create ANY kind of turnover. Coaches can only coach.. but the players have to produce.

Last edited:

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
I hear what your saying.. I guess I see it another way. Coaching is what helped EVEN be in the playoffs in the first place. Besides, we were one Aaron Rodgers miracle play from the NFC championship game last year. If we started off slow (3pts), so did Greenbay (7pts). Although Dallas may have started off 'slow' start ... Dak had 300yrds 3tds, Zeke 120+yds, and Dez had 130+yds 2 Tds.. but the DL had 0 sacks. I think the blame for the slow start isn't the coaching.. it would be the inability to create ANY kind of turnover. Coaches can only coach.. but the players have to produce.
We were down like 21-3, vs Detroit I believe 17-3. What's up with that?

Knotamus

Reaction score
We were down like 21-3, vs Detroit I believe 17-3. What's up with that?

To try to answer.. Rookie QB, Rookie RB, a secondary that doesn't make plays, a DL that didn't get pressure.. I don't know, pick one. The fact is and everyone knows..'turnovers' creates wins in the NFL. That's on the players, not the coaches.

I'll state again, The coaching took an average defense and rookie QB one play away from the NFC championship game.

Good news though, the coaches realize the current players wasn't making plays and have done something about it.. that's what coaches are suppose to do.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hear what your saying.. I guess I see it another way. Coaching is what helped EVEN be in the playoffs in the first place. The coaching took an average defense and a rookie QB to the best record in football and the #1 seed. Besides, we were one Aaron Rodgers miracle play from the NFC championship game last year. If we started off slow (3pts), so did Greenbay (7pts). Although Dallas may have started off 'slow' ... Dak had 300+yrds 3tds, Zeke 120+yds, and Dez had 130+yds 2 Tds.. but the DL had 0 sacks. I think the blame for the slow start isn't the coaching.. it would be the inability to create ANY kind of turnover. Coaches can only coach.. but the players have to produce.

Produce is part of it... Talent is part of the equation too. Gregory couldn't participate. T. Crawford had one good arm. Lawrence was underwhelming due to complications of his back injury/surgery. J. Crawford wasn't very good.

The only DE showing anything was Irving... And he was getting held.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To try to answer.. Rookie QB, Rookie RB, a secondary that doesn't make plays, a DL that didn't get pressure.. I don't know, pick one. The fact is and everyone knows..'turnovers' creates wins in the NFL. That's on the players, not the coaches.

I'll state again, The coaching took an average defense and rookie QB one play away from the NFC championship game.

Good news though, the coaches realize the current players wasn't making plays and have done something about it.. that's what coaches are suppose to do.

That's the other way of looking at it too.

Did coaching hold an overly talented team back or did coaching take it to a level beyond its overall talent?

Knotamus

Reaction score
That's the other way of looking at it too.

Did coaching hold an overly talented team back or did coaching take it to a level beyond its overall talent?

I understand that point, but when I a rookie QB is out playing every rookie QB in history, a rookie RB is leading the league in rushing, a defense that was considered 'over-achieved', and your team obtains the best record in football, the head coach earns 'coach of the year'.. well, I'll say the coaching wasn't the problem.

Wood

Reaction score
I'm not usually the most "glass half full" fan and most of you guys know that (all too well!), but in looking at this team, what they accomplished in 2016, their youth, and the players they're adding in both the draft and free agency, my hopes are SKY HIGH!

I'm just seeing signs for improvement and reasons for optimism each and every place I look.

I need a dose of reality from some fellow fans to tell me what I should be worried about. (Other than backup QB, that one might be legit based on the Romo, no-Romo beliefs)

But the more I look at this team, the more excited for what they can be in 2017 and beyond I get.

Someone talk me out of it!

be worried that the DB will take time to adjust to NFL. The offense will need to carry them for first half of season.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
20 TOs and 34 sacks won't do it against playoff competition. Unless you score 34+PPG. We scored 421 last year and I don't expect a lot more this year unless the TOs and sacks goes up.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I don't think Wentz is a god, but I do think if the weapons they put around him come to play he will have a good season. Commanders are no slouch, and I think Giants will have a pretty damn good year even with Eli starting to decline.

Yet again, this division looks like it's right back to being one of the more competitive divisions in the league. I hate it.
I agree with you. It is going to be a very competitive division again. I liked Wentz out of college but their are some people who think he would be great if he was here. The fact is he is not and I am happy with Dak or only as a qb but as person in general. I hope Dak continues to improve and win many SBs .

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score
Jaylon's nerve.

Dak's sophomore slump.

Zeke will get suspended.

Heath will play and he is poop.

Still no pass rush everyone knows Taco is only good against the run and D-Law has a broken back.

Sean Lee injury.

Scandrick washed up.

No backup RB.

O-line decline (no Leary, no good replacement for Free, chemistry will suffer).

Dez getting older and a troublemaker as we all know.

Witten slower than my grandpa.

Jason Garrett.

Shall I go on?

:D
You forgot Jerry and Poland!

Verdict

Reaction score
I'm not usually the most "glass half full" fan and most of you guys know that (all too well!), but in looking at this team, what they accomplished in 2016, their youth, and the players they're adding in both the draft and free agency, my hopes are SKY HIGH!

I'm just seeing signs for improvement and reasons for optimism each and every place I look.

I need a dose of reality from some fellow fans to tell me what I should be worried about. (Other than backup QB, that one might be legit based on the Romo, no-Romo beliefs)

But the more I look at this team, the more excited for what they can be in 2017 and beyond I get.

I would never attempt to stifle your optimism. We are "past due" for some good fortune and success in the playoffs.

I think how someone would project us going forward depends on how you want to look at it. Reasons for optimism are:

1. If Dak plays as well as he did last year we are going to win a hell of a lot more games than we lose. He played other worldly for a rookie.

2. Jaylon Smith and Charles Tapper. These guys could very well set the world on fire.

3. Better depth all over the roster than we have had during Red's entire tenure.

4. A very good offensive line. If Collins kicks out to tackle that could well be an improvement over Free, the human turnstile.

5. Zeke is the best back in the NFL. He makes the rest of the offensive engine hum.

6. Heath will play better than the DB he replaced. Our rookie DBs carry pretty good credentials. We could easily be better on the back end.

7. Collins is stronger than he was last year with a full year in an NFL weight room. He will be a force on the DL.

8. I think that the Cowboys have been hiding their optimism about Tapper and Jaylon even though they ARE clearly expecting great things from both.

Reasons to wring your hands:

1. Last year we had a very good year in terms of lack of injuries and very good team health other than Romo. That is likely to regress towards the mean.

2. The secondary is inexperienced and the NFC opponents got better on offense, especially at wide receiver.

3. We let Leary go which was a huge mistake. It wouldn't have hurt much without Collins flipping out to RT. If Collins wins the RT spot, then we could be really compromised at LG unless Cooper regains his college form.

4. Dak had a great year and was very fortunate he didn't have more turnovers. Teams dropped several sure INTS. That isn't likely to happen as much.

5. Dak has been on the team a year. Maybe that is long enough to break him from all the good habits he shied last year as a rookie. The team has probably been brain washing him incessantly about throwing to a covered Dez because of course he's always open even when he's not. Don't worry about those ints. Just throw it to Dez to keep his head right.

6. We are still pissing off way too much cap room on under performing players and will begin to lose more good players. We are over paying Dez, Witten, Crawford, et. al.

7. We have a first place schedule.

8. We selected at the bottom of the draft. We didn't likely get as many hits as we think we did.

9. Taco was a reach. He isn't any better than what we already have on the roster. So we may have wasted our first round pick.

10. We got the bounces last year in a few games. We won't be quite as lucky this year.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Something Garrett has shown he has trouble with.

So what adjustments has Garrett attempted and what adjustments do you think he should have made and did not?

Cause I watched the offense adjust the depths of routes, changeup where they attacked in the running game, adjust blocking schemes, and the like. They move Dez, Witten, and Beasley around and get him better matchups. Change personnel and the like.

I watched the defense blitz, zone blitz, change defensive fronts and the backend and all of that in games.

We did win a lot last year. There were a lot of games where Dak started off slow and picked it up in the second quarter or later.

The defense in the GB game gave up scores on the first 3 possessions and switched up to the 326 and started making stops and plays.

Last edited:

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score

There will be no talking you out of it sir. Revel in every moment of it. It's beautiful. :flagwave: