Someone Not in Favor of Mayer at 26

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I 100% agree and didn’t need analytics to see he is bad value in round 1 and I think the guy has 10 year starter written all over him and will be really good.

If I’m drafting a TE I want a playmaker not some 1990s check down guy.

Sydla

Reaction score
I tend to agree with the premise on value. I don't think using a first round pick on a TE is wise. The value just isn't there regardless of how athletic he is.

I am praying like hell somehow, someway, Darnell Wright falls to us.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I tend to agree with the premise on value. I don't think using a first round pick on a TE is wise. The value just isn't there regardless of how athletic he is.

I am praying like hell somehow, someway, Darnell Wright falls to us.
Ideally, I’d like to double-up on Darnells with those first two picks!

:thumbup:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would be wonderful but both very well may be gone by #26!

fun-sucker-party-pooper.gif

;)

RS12

Reaction score
Mayer is a safe pick who will play at high level for years. I am fine if he is the pick. Forget Wright he isn't making it to 26. I think Washington will be productive but fans will continually ask why he isn't more productive. I d rather have a Mayer than someone who probably doesn't get a second contract.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Cavanaugh makes good points but his obsession with little wide receivers is alarming. Cavanaugh must have loved the run and shoot offense back in the day.
Jitterbug WRs are kind of rare as regards long productive careers

gtb1943

Reaction score
Amuses me how obsessed some people are on Mayer.

I think its probably because he went to Notre Dame.

Or is it a fact that some here do not respect lunch pail players?

So in love with flash and dash?

Or so hopped up on potential that all too often does not pan out - Washington has IMMENSE potential but how often does it work out?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Amuses me how obsessed some people are on Mayer.

I think its probably because he went to Notre Dame.

Or is it a fact that some here do not respect lunch pail players?

So in love with flash and dash?

Or so hopped up on potential that all too often does not pan out - Washington has IMMENSE potential but how often does it work out?

Drafting TEs in round 1 does not turn out well more times then not.

He’s nothing special outside of his production which means Jack squat going forward.

If Jake Ferguson and Michael Mayer get the same opportunity I think the production increase from Mayer is minimal at best.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think he walked on as a WR at whatever university he attended.
If he had his way we would our receiving core would have been Cooper, CeeDee, Devonte, and Sky Moore but we wouldn’t have a defense or offensive line. :thumbup:

gtb1943

Reaction score

He’s nothing special outside of his production which means Jack squat going forward.

If Jake Ferguson and Michael Mayer get the same opportunity I think the production increase from Mayer is minimal at best.
Just admit it you don't like Mayer and it has nothing to do with him as a player.

I bet you did not like Martin either before he was drafted, right? Thought he was 'meh' too

As I recall Jason Witten was considered Meh by a lot of people as well

Gaede

Reaction score
He's totally right. I don't love the RAS as some foolproof recipe for a good player, but for what we want out of the position (yds and TDs), we absolutely need someone who is athletic and Mayer's score is very telling. Mayer is not that guy. Like Cavanaugh says, he's a Schultz. If that's all we want, get LaPorta later in the draft, or just roll with Fergie

Gaede

Reaction score
Just admit it you don't like Mayer and it has nothing to do with him as a player.

I bet you did not like Martin either before he was drafted, right? Thought he was 'meh' too

As I recall Jason Witten was considered Meh by a lot of people as well
Almost everybody on the board was celebrating like A MFer that we got Witten AND in the third round. It was universal jubilation

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Almost everybody on the board was celebrating like A MFer that we got Witten AND in the third round. It was universal jubilation
I remember a lot wanting Lee Suggs and not Witten.

Still though.. 3rd round.

And

Just because we’re the Dallas Cowboys doesn’t mean a slow in athletic TE we draft is Witten.

Like that logic means if you’re a Vikings fan then the guy is Kyle Rudolph. It’s just silly.

Aven8

Reaction score

I have no doubt Mayer will be an excellent TE. But he’s slow and not very dynamic. He pretty much does everything well. Having said that Fergs and Hendershot have a ton of potential and it seems like Mayer would be more of a luxury pick.