Someone Not in Favor of Mayer at 26

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Cavanaugh is a hack. And if he thinks Mayer shouldn’t be the pick then his past history shows he“s probably wrong.
He’s showing you what the common denominators are for elite TEs. His opinion just matches with the data but the data is still the data.

Mayer is a blah athlete.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
He’s showing you what the common denominators are for elite TEs. His opinion just matches with the data but the data is still the data.

Mayer is a blah athlete.
For such a blah player, why is he a consensus top 20 player ? Mayer may not have a high ceiling, but he’s better than folks here are making him out to be. There are a lot of things that we can knock the front office for. Their recent 1st round picks ain’t 1 of them.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
For such a blah player, why is he a consensus top 20 player ? Mayer may not have a high ceiling, but he’s better than folks here are making him out to be. There are a lot of things that we can knock the front office for. Their recent 1st round picks ain’t 1 of them.
Nobody is saying he sucks.

I personally think he’s a solid throwback TE prospect.

He’s just bad value.

In fact I’d say he’s super risky because if you get Dalton Schultz type production in round 1 then you screwed up because you can get that same production later on.

Big_D

Reaction score
Mayer could very well be BPA when the Cowboys are on the clock.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Almost everybody on the board was celebrating like A MFer that we got Witten AND in the third round. It was universal jubilation

Witten was expected to go much higher. He was a steal and everyone on the board knew it.

The only reason he left school was because the advisory committee told him he was expected to go in the 25-40 range, else he would have stayed for his senior year.

RS12

Reaction score
He’s just bad value.
And in your mind Johnston with suspect hands and the inability to come down with more contested catches against mostly smaller opponents is a good value?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
And in your mind Johnston with suspect hands and the inability to come down with more contested catches against mostly smaller opponents is a good value?
I’d rather take a “risk” with Johnston then take Mayer whose production I can likely replace a round or 2 later.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Nobody is saying he sucks.

I personally think he’s a solid throwback TE prospect.

He’s just bad value.

In fact I’d say he’s super risky because if you get Dalton Schultz type production in round 1 then you screwed up because you can get that same production later on.
The difference with Dalton Shultz and Mayer is that Mayer is ready to roll now, and Schultz took time.

I want 6 guys with enough talent to take to the game and win.

gtb1943

Reaction score

Mayer is a blah athlete.
keep singing to the small chorus you have gathered if it makes you fell better.

Big_D

Reaction score
The difference with Dalton Shultz and Mayer is that Mayer is ready to roll now, and Schultz took time.

I want 6 guys with enough talent to take to the game and win.

I think that's definitely part of it. You could get 5 years of quality production in comparison. to 2 or 3 .. with high hopes of 4. Immediate help and a longer window. This will definitely play into any decision they make in the first round.