Someone please explain how does Moore go from villain to hero?

Kevin T

Reaction score
Next week it will be all for naught. There is no way Garrett goes with a totally inexperienced Moore as OC in the last year of his contract.

It will be Nussmeier, for sure, with Moore getting some extra influence, and possibly another coach brought in from the outside who Garrett knows from the golden year in Miami.
Ordinarily, and in ANY other organization not owned by Jerry Jones, this would be true. However, whatever Jerry wants you can bet Garrett's on board or he's going to get tossed overboard FOR SURE. Or, it gives Garrett another scapegoat for an extension.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
This community, the media, social media, all went from decrying Moore as our QB coach to suddenly calling him a "offensive prophet" (quoting one tweet I read)....

Since when does being terrible at your job lead to a huge promotion?
No one in the media nor any fan has no idea if Moore was terrible at his job. Ive said this for quite some time now. Unless you are at practice or are in the room when they are going over film it is impossible to measure what a QB coach is or is not doing.....anyone that says otherwise is just being silly and projecting unwarranted hate.

Jenky

Reaction score
This community, the media, social media, all went from decrying Moore as our QB coach to suddenly calling him a "offensive prophet" (quoting one tweet I read)....

I think the fan's perception of Dak shunning away from Moore and horrible QB play during the first 3/4ths of the season lead to this. It was assumed Dak wanted nothing to do with Moore and horrible QB play coupled with a novice QB coach lead to this.

I'm pretty surprised there is hard push for Moore especially when he's done absolutely nothing.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The problem with many posters is they only view things in extremes - it’s all one way or all the other. Reason is almost always somehere in the middle, but I think a lot of posters are on sites like this for the soap opera.

The reality is Moore never should have been put down as much as he was to begin with. Those reactions were mostly emotional and not thoughtful. Lack of coaching experience was a reasonable concern, but none of the rest of the nonsensical arguments and complaints were.

As for him being an “offensive profit” (I laughed at that term), from what we can tell, he has always been considered by anyone who was ever associated with him as a player or coach that he has an incredibly sharp football mind and a rare understanding of the game. But, again, experience is and should be, the concern. Sharp mind or not, experience does matter.

Last edited:

tm1119

Reaction score
I think the fan's perception of Dak shunning away from Moore and horrible QB play during the first 3/4ths of the season lead to this. It was assumed Dak wanted nothing to do with Moore and horrible QB play coupled with a novice QB coach lead to this.

I'm pretty surprised there is hard push for Moore especially when he's done absolutely nothing.

How/when did Dak “shun” Kellen Moore?

Jenky

Reaction score
How/when did Dak “shun” Kellen Moore?

There were a few games where they showed Dak frustrated with him or showing disinterest. I'm sure none of us know the exact details of what went on and it could all merely be perception.

CPanther95

Reaction score
As soon as the "Offensive Genius" narrative is fully embraced by the fanbase, Stephen will be in the washroom with Jerry paying off his one dollar bet.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well I think for starters we are overreacting to his impact as a qb coach. He was more intern then an coach. Dak’s development should be on Garrett’s hands.

jsb357

Reaction score
Genuine Jones brand Arkansas anointing oil...

Worked for Garrett
Worked for Romo
Worked for Dak
It'll work for Moore.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
I wouldn't say he is a hero or villian. Just a kid who doesn't belong in that position for the Cowboys. Dallas needs someone with actual experience in the NFL and who can teach young QB's. How he goes to OC is beyond me. Actually, no it isn't. It's the Dallas Cowboys for the past 20 years or so.

InTheZone

Reaction score

Who said Moore was terrible and if they did then why? I can see the make all excuses for Dak crowd flipping their opinion but who actually knows if Moore was bad last year?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Because opinions based on absolutely nothing are easy to change.

This and you may as well end the thread here. I still don't like the prospect of Moore being OC, but really only because Dak did not seem to improve from last year to this year. Now Dak improved a lot once we traded for Cooper, but from the outside, it looks like Moore was not particularly good at his job. However, none of us really know if this is accurate or not. It may have just been the lack of options, so when guys like Prescott and Frederick give Moore ringing endorsements, it has to over ride ignorant positions to some extent.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Media has backed Jones around here no matter what. Its part of the reason this team has been less then mediocre the last 25 years.

As far as the fans, its really just your typical rubber stamp sheep that are hailing the move as genius. The types that will support anything Cowboy.

visionary

Reaction score

Before making a decision I'm going to wait and see what CZ football luminary @Idgit knows about Moore's "football mind"

:dance:

Ddisco22

Reaction score

Don't believe the hype, I don't see what all the hoopla is about.
Maybe cause we are just fans on the outside looking in, but as fans we haven't seen crap that would make me think he would be a great OC.

Maybe he will some day but got now dude needs more exp in my opinion..
Who cares what he did in college, I sure as heck don't.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I don’t want to be grouped in that. Honestly I don’t know if he hurt or helped last year or if he is good at calling plays for the future. I do think it’s an odd choice for us if he’s the OC because no matter what he will have to fit the JG playbook system. It’s why we hire within and it’s why 18 offensive assts have left under JG never to be promoted in the NFL. System is outdated

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That’s the perception...but he was never a “real” QB coach,or even given that title because that was his coaching strength,and they really needed him for it. It was just a convenient way to get him on the sidelines to get experience without ruffling feathers. But by the later part of the year,I think it did with Linehan,when Garrett started involving him more,and developing a greater working relationship. Yeah,I can see that bugging Linehan. It would me too. But Moore is neither a hero nor villain. He’s just helping out with whatever they ask,and it’s been that way for years now. He could care less about being OC,that was never his motivation. It was everyone else on the team and FO telling him “You should be a coach” before he retired. I remember all that,and them coaxing him to stay on the PS to help prepare the staff with stuff. If a team really likes a guy that much to do all that,I think I’m going to have to trust their judgment and give it the benifit of the doubt. I’ll admit I campaigned for years to dump Linehan,but I’ll give Moore extra time being he’s new,and just getting started before piling on as usual. Looool

Hard to imagine a guy that sucked in the NFL for a few years with no experience coaching is going to do a GREAT job as QB coach right off the bat. And since DAK continues to struggle with some mechanics and pocket presence people are wondering what the QB coach is doing.

When Linehan was fired the expectations of most were that we would get LESS Garrett and possibly someone from the Rams or KC staff perhaps that could usher our offense into the 21st century. Save us from the NFL wide laughing stock offense we have now. Give us what we need to take the next step.

Then out of nowhere we start hearing that Moore could be the next OC and play calling duties will be HANDED BACK to Garrett?

I hope that clears up the trepidation in the Moore promotion.