Someone please explain how does Moore go from villain to hero?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Who said Moore was terrible and if they did then why? I can see the make all excuses for Dak crowd flipping their opinion but who actually knows if Moore was bad last year?

For the most part the entire board was laughing at the Moore hire as QB coach. Where were you?

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I don't see Moore as a hero just yet, he could be, but what do I see is a desperate Cowboys Nation hopeful that a hero will emerge and save us from our curse of 20-plus years. Should the Boy Wonder stumble, torches and pitchforks or just an arm's length away and the village will be seeking to run him out of town as the villain.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This and you may as well end the thread here. I still don't like the prospect of Moore being OC, but really only because Dak did not seem to improve from last year to this year. Now Dak improved a lot once we traded for Cooper, but from the outside, it looks like Moore was not particularly good at his job. However, none of us really know if this is accurate or not. It may have just been the lack of options, so when guys like Prescott and Frederick give Moore ringing endorsements, it has to over ride ignorant positions to some extent.

Having an opinion is certainly better then having no opinion at all, which some seem to have. And certainly having a "prove it" attitude is better then the "everything the cowboys do I will support" attitude that some people adopt.

Then there is just plain common sense. That handing the OC duties to a young kid that has ONLY coached one year in the NFL, never called plays before, and sucked in the NFL as a QB seems foolish.

And we have all heard this...…………"he is really smart" mantra before with Garrett. Our team has suffered for 14 years under Garrett. Tired of inexperienced supposed geniuses that have potential. I want REAL PROVEN football people. But that's just me.

Like I said, others will just hail whomever we hire as great. Or they wont have an opinion at all and will just insult those that do.

birdwells1

Reaction score
The problem I have is Jason Garrett did nothing in coaching prior to getting the Cowboys job to earn it. I have the same issue with Moore, show me what he's done in all his year of coaching to be the OC for America's Team.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For the most part the entire board was laughing at the Moore hire as QB coach. Where were you?

No, that's not true. Many had reservations about his lack of experience as a coach, but to say for the most part everyone laughed at it is false. A lot of us felt good about Moore in general, and frankly, QB coach is not a top coaching level position, so I was okay with it. But while others may have preferred he get more experience in a lesser role before being given the QB coach position, they weren't laughing at it.

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This community, the media, social media, all went from decrying Moore as our QB coach to suddenly calling him a "offensive prophet" (quoting one tweet I read)....

Since when does being terrible at your job lead to a huge promotion?

I never had an issue of him being the QB coach. I think he is an easy scape goat for people who are on the outside looking in but have no clue as to what is taking place on the sideline or the work he is doing with Dak.

erod

Reaction score
This community, the media, social media, all went from decrying Moore as our QB coach to suddenly calling him a "offensive prophet" (quoting one tweet I read)....

How do you know he was terrible at his job?

In fact, I heard that he had a MUCH bigger voice in the gameplanning the last 8 games than he did early on. Since then, they went 7-2.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem I have is Jason Garrett did nothing in coaching prior to getting the Cowboys job to earn it. I have the same issue with Moore, show me what he's done in all his year of coaching to be the OC for America's Team.

I think that's all it is with most - the lack of experience. Being widely praised as having a sharp mind and great understanding of the game is great - something to be excited about - but it can't completely negate the need for experience. Experiencing is part of learning and growing.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Jerry is trying to change the narrative and the usual sheep are pushing and shoving to get in front of the yes men line.

Frauds surround themselves with other frauds. Throughout history, this has been a constant whether its politics, corporations, or sports.

GMO415

Reaction score

Moore was aiding Dak in Linehan's system. If Moore creates a new offense, then Kitna can assist him to adapt to it.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I'm completely open to the idea that Kellen Moore may be a great coach one day, and I'm usually on board with getting in front of something.

However, this team is a few steps away from competing for titles. There is zero need to gamble on an OC right now. No one is trying to steal Kellen Moore from you. Go get the best OC that money can buy and let Moore get some more experience, learning from him.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

he is grass is greener on the other side. he represents hope. he was a villain by association perhaps, since we/media/fans didn't have all the fact. Moore was drafted by linehan. brought here by linehan. we hate Linehan.so we hate Moore.

but some stories/facts/things have come up that hey, we didn't know everything. we assumed Dak doesn't like Moore or is being held back. turns out they have a very good relationship. turns out that in the NFL circles people consider moore up and coming. so now he represents hope

jujoboys

Reaction score

1) There was never any justification or proof that he was a bad QB coach. People saying he was a bad QB coach were just saying it to have someone to rip apart. No one knows whether he was good or bad at his QB coach gig except maybe the QB or the other coaches. Fans and media trashed him because they needed someone to trash. Just like they trashed Wade Wilson before him.
2) People get promoted based on what people in the organization see. For instance, Travis Fredericks stated that Kellen Moore created a play that scored several TDs. Maybe there are quite a few examples of this that we know nothing about.

The real problem is that the media and the fans don't really have any way to judge whether Moore was a good or bad QB coach or whether he will be a good or bad OC. One thing we do know is that if he becomes the OC and is put in charge of calling the plays then we will finally see whether he is good or bad.

links18

Reaction score
The Jones have their media hacks punping Moore up and some people buy it?

coult44

Reaction score

This is why JJ is a genius. Say whatever we want. Jerry has made one of the sorriest teams in the NFL for the last 24 years be one of the most relevant and most valuable in sports. It would be like the owners of your local Benny's Corner Market convincing the town his store was as great as Walmart or Target.

coult44

Reaction score
1) There was never any justification or proof that he was a bad QB coach. People saying he was a bad QB coach were just saying it to have someone to rip apart. No one knows whether he was good or bad at his QB coach gig except maybe the QB or the other coaches. Fans and media trashed him because they needed someone to trash. Just like they trashed Wade Wilson before him.
2) People get promoted based on what people in the organization see. For instance, Travis Fredericks stated that Kellen Moore created a play that scored several TDs. Maybe there are quite a few examples of this that we know nothing about.

The real problem is that the media and the fans don't really have any way to judge whether Moore was a good or bad QB coach or whether he will be a good or bad OC. One thing we do know is that if he becomes the OC and is put in charge of calling the plays then we will finally see whether he is good or bad.

And most of y'all are willing to take that kind of risk of hiring an unknown? Why? Because it's been a quarter century of losing, what's another 5 to 7 years.

Wolfpack

Reaction score

The Cowboy’s employee a PR staff plus outsourced minions as well for this sort of stuff. They’ve been two weeks into this and it’s remarkable how easy this stuff sells.

9darter

Reaction score
Sports fan psychology 101. Adjust to the realities at hand if you are unable or unwilling to maintain an independent (especially critical) viewpoint of your own. Could be associated with the coping mechanism of Stockholm syndrome.

Other than that, seen from the FO POV, it's entirely possible that they always, you know, 'liked' their guy.

Lazy hire if they do in fact promote him. But who knows if Moore's another wonderboy like, ehm, Garrett.

jujoboys

Reaction score
And most of y'all are willing to take that kind of risk of hiring an unknown? Why? Because it's been a quarter century of losing, what's another 5 to 7 years.

You are making a lot of assumptions with this statement. I did not say that I would have made the move to promote Moore to the OC position. I have no say in what the front office decides to do. I was just merely stating that none of us know anything about Moore when it comes to being a QB coach or OC. If I were in charge then Garrett would have been fired years ago. Since I am not in charge and Garrett remains the HC then I am all for a move like making Garrett or Moore the OC. If it turns out to be a failure next year then maybe we finally get what we want (Garrett fired). If it works out and Moore takes the league by storm then we reap the benefits of what looks like a questionable move at this point. I honestly think the 2019 -2020 season is Garrett's last chance. If Moore helps screw it up and JG gets fired then so be it. If Moore stuns everyone and helps get this team where we want them then we win. Dallas making the playoffs and winning a playoff game saved Garrett's bacon. It didn't save Linehan's bacon so I got one of the two guys I wanted gone.