CFZ Something I noticed About Jalen Brooks

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I'm not going to predict or pretend I know if he'll make the team, because there's still a lot of time left in camp and we've yet to play the first game, and that's where you really get a glimpse of what they can do in games.

Brooks' 40 time reminds me a lot of a few other players, like Jalen Hyatt, where they're actually faster than their 40 indicates -- just faster down the stretch and at the top of the route, which is what you need in the NFL to beat NFL level CBs and safeties, you just have to catch them at the right timing of the route, and fluctuation of speed, the ability to slow down, speed up hit a gear at will is what makes your route succeed in a given series. And since it's just one play at a time, that's why I see Jalen Brooks doing well. He's a high-IQ guy, just gets down to business after learning the why's of the play.. Just takes one play at a time. But I think that's big to him. He understand the why. I would like to see Cropper take this approach. Asking "why this, why that?"

A lot of stuff will click for players if you make them curious.

Anyway, like I said, I'm a big Jalen Cropper fan, too. But when I looked closer at Brooks, I can see why they liked him. Dare I say he's even got a little Irvin in him, early years Irvin when he, too, was sort of growing into being a full-grown adult.

Not only that, I thought Cropper was sharp, and I think he is. I still think he has a chance to be a good player. But lets not pretend Brooks 40 time on paper should be taken seriously. He plays with speed, and seems sharp as a tack. That's a coaches dream in our situation. I personally hope we can stash Cropper on IR if he doesn't make the team.

I still think Fehoko is intriguing. But I want to see he and Tolbert both produce in preseason. Or I'm willing to cut bait to add better players.

Maybe Tolbert does have that 4th spot locked up. But I think it's possible there actually may be better players suited for the role.

This is a nice class of players, IMO. It's nice to be talking about a 7th rounder or UDFAs. We have a great problem in Dallas, baby!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm not going to predict or pretend I know if he'll make the team, because there's still a lot of time left in camp and we've yet to play the first game, and that's where you really get a glimpse of what they can do in games.

Brooks' 40 time reminds me a lot of a few other players, like Jalen Hyatt, where they're actually faster than their 40 indicates -- just faster down the stretch and at the top of the route, which is what you need in the NFL to beat NFL level CBs and safeties, you just have to catch them at the right timing of the route, and fluctuation of speed, the ability to slow down, speed up hit a gear at will is what makes your route succeed in a given series. And since it's just one play at a time, that's why I see Jalen Brooks doing well. He's a high-IQ guy, just gets down to business after learning the why's of the play.. Just takes one play at a time. But I think that's big to him. He understand the why. I would like to see Cropper take this approach. Asking "why this, why that?"

Anyway, like I said, I'm a big Jalen Cropper fan, too. But when I looked closer at Brooks, I can see why they liked him. Dare I say he's even got a little Irvin in him, early years Irvin when he, too, was sort of growing into being a full-grown adult.

Not only that, I thought Cropper was sharp, and I think he is. I still think he has a chance to be a good player. But lets not pretend Brooks 40 time on paper should be taken seriously. He plays with speed, and seems sharp as a tack. That's a coaches dream in our situation. I personally hope we can stash Cropper on IR if he doesn't make the team.

I still think Fehoko is intriguing. But I want to see he and Tolbert both produce in preseason. Or I'm willing to cut bait to add better players.

Maybe Tolbert does have that 4th spot locked up. But I think it's possible there actually may be better players suited for the role.

This is a nice class of players, IMO. It's nice to be talking about a 7th rounder or UDFAs. We have a great problem in Dallas, baby!
Did you even know who Brooks was before he was a Cowboy?

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score

I think the only thing keeping Tolbert was his draft status/contract

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Brooks has been looking good. It will be fun to see him in preseason!

Speed is an asset for a WR no doubt, but I'll take a big, strong, reliable WR who plays smart, runs precise routes, and has terrific hands.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Did you even know who Brooks was before he was a Cowboy?
No, I can't say many did.. Although I'm sure Timb2 and a few others knew about him. But that's not the point of what I'm trying to say, which is why I say Something I noticed about Jalen Brooks.

It took me a minute, to really like him. Then, boom, I saw it. He could make in the the NFL. Same for Cropper, who was my pet, dark-horse candidate at WR.
He was considered a top player by many media either.. which shows how reliable they are. So, it's a good pick, far as I can tell. I'm holding Cropper as the bar because I know he's got game.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Speed is an asset for a WR no doubt, but I'll take a big, strong, reliable WR who plays smart, runs precise routes, and has terrific hands.
Honest to goodness, he could take Tolbert's spot if Tolbert doesn't go and get his. But I think Tolbert might have some dog in him. It's in his college tape. He's a pro now. Should be acclimated to it.

I just like seeing the competition for spots.

Will Tolbert play ST? Can he return? I bet he can....

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

I think our WR group is going to become quietly one of the best in the league. Dare I say they keep 6-7 WRs? I think that we will have the following group at WR: Lamb, Cooks, Gallup, Tolbert, Brooks, and Turpin. Maybe Cropper if they go 7. That said, I could see them trying to stash Cropper on the PS.

rambo2

Reaction score
Honest to goodness, he could take Tolbert's spot if Tolbert doesn't go and get his. But I think Tolbert might have some dog in him. It's in his college tape. He's a pro now. Should be acclimated to it.

I just like seeing the competition for spots.

Will Tolbert play ST? Can he return? I bet he can....
Brooks has been pretty much outstanding every day.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Brooks has been pretty much outstanding every day.
I've seen it.. I'm not getting overhyped about the 1-on-1 stuff. I'm not that cheesy. I'm talking about in traffic and just his overall game, like he's been doing this for a long time. He moves like a vet. And I hadn't a clue about him. Like I was saying above, not all that many did. I'm sure a few though.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I think our WR group is going to become quietly one of the best in the league. Dare I say they keep 6-7 WRs? I think that we will have the following group at WR: Lamb, Cooks, Gallup, Tolbert, Brooks, and Turpin. Maybe Cropper if they go 7. That said, I could see them trying to stash Cropper on the PS.
Yep... Not sure if he'd stick around. But you're probably right. He may have better odds elsewhere, and I'd hate to see him go. There's always IR and all that. So, we'll see.

rambo2

Reaction score
I've seen it.. I'm not getting overhyped about the 1-on-1 stuff. I'm not that cheesy. I'm talking about in traffic and just his overall game, like he's been doing this for a long time. He moves like a vet. And I hadn't a clue about him. Like I was saying above, not all that many did. I'm sure a few though.
He looks like a lock to make the team.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
His status as a third round draft pick and dead cap because of it.
A guy with his talent (he was actually expected by some to go as high as 2nd round) isn't going to get cut as a rookie. Especially considering he was a small school guy struggling with the more technical adjustments in the nfl. There also wasn't any WRs that didn't make it that were worth keeping over him.

rambo2

Reaction score
I'll say that they keep 6 and have 2 on the Practice squad.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
He looks like a lock to make the team.
I want to see some games. Personally, that seems to be where Cropper shines. They at least have to give him a chance, too. I believe it's all friendly practice. It comes down to what they do in games.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score

Sounds like you are describing the egirls big man. We may have a steal here on our hands.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No, I can't say many did.. Although I'm sure Timb2 and a few others knew about him. But that's not the point of what I'm trying to say, which is why I say Something I noticed about Jalen Brooks.

It took me a minute, to really like him. Then, boom, I saw it. He could make in the the NFL. Same for Cropper, who was my pet, dark-horse candidate at WR.
He was considered a top player by many media either.. which shows how reliable they are. So, it's a good pick, far as I can tell. I'm holding Cropper as the bar because I know he's got game.
We hear about the WR's every year in TC. Lets see what he can do in preseason. Sadly I dont think our backup Oline is going to give the QB much time or RB's much room to run. I guess we will find out if this short, dumpoff additions to the offense are going to work.