CFZ Something I noticed About Jalen Brooks

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If you are the standout WR in camp, then why are we talking #6 or #7 and not seeing much time his Rookie season? If he's clearly the best guy in camp, why not #3?

I think the WR 3 spot will be Gallup's. However, I could see him taking WR 4 or 5. That allows him to play in the slot, which I think will benefit him. Just shows how good our WR group is this year.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think the WR 3 spot will be Gallup's. However, I could see him taking WR 4 or 5. That allows him to play in the slot, which I think will benefit him. Just shows how good our WR group is this year.
Gallup should be your 3, but there is some serious depth battle at WR taking place.
I am thankful for the expanded PS retention rules, because we have a serious shake up taking place.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Camp Pet Cat Project detonating in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

Every year some low drafted/free agent wide receiver makes a splash in training camp and is considered the next Rod Smith.

And every year, when the dust settles, the pet receiver never makes it to the roster.

Not saying it can't happen, but I'm not ready to pour the anointing Meow Mix just yet.

rambo2

Reaction score
Camp Pet Cat Project detonating in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

Every year some low drafted/free agent wide receiver makes a splash in training camp and is considered the next Rod Smith.

And every year, when the dust settles, the pet receiver never makes it to the roster.

Not saying it can't happen, but I'm not ready to pour the anointing Meow Mix just yet.
Put the meow mix on the list at Costco.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'm not going to predict or pretend I know if he'll make the team, because there's still a lot of time left in camp and we've yet to play the first game, and that's where you really get a glimpse of what they can do in games.

Brooks' 40 time reminds me a lot of a few other players, like Jalen Hyatt, where they're actually faster than their 40 indicates -- just faster down the stretch and at the top of the route, which is what you need in the NFL to beat NFL level CBs and safeties, you just have to catch them at the right timing of the route, and fluctuation of speed, the ability to slow down, speed up hit a gear at will is what makes your route succeed in a given series. And since it's just one play at a time, that's why I see Jalen Brooks doing well. He's a high-IQ guy, just gets down to business after learning the why's of the play.. Just takes one play at a time. But I think that's big to him. He understand the why. I would like to see Cropper take this approach. Asking "why this, why that?"

A lot of stuff will click for players if you make them curious.

Anyway, like I said, I'm a big Jalen Cropper fan, too. But when I looked closer at Brooks, I can see why they liked him. Dare I say he's even got a little Irvin in him, early years Irvin when he, too, was sort of growing into being a full-grown adult.

Not only that, I thought Cropper was sharp, and I think he is. I still think he has a chance to be a good player. But lets not pretend Brooks 40 time on paper should be taken seriously. He plays with speed, and seems sharp as a tack. That's a coaches dream in our situation. I personally hope we can stash Cropper on IR if he doesn't make the team.

I still think Fehoko is intriguing. But I want to see he and Tolbert both produce in preseason. Or I'm willing to cut bait to add better players.

Maybe Tolbert does have that 4th spot locked up. But I think it's possible there actually may be better players suited for the role.

This is a nice class of players, IMO. It's nice to be talking about a 7th rounder or UDFAs. We have a great problem in Dallas, baby!
I am on the fence with Fehoko. I think he is intriguing, because of size and speed and we all think/fantasize about a dominant WR (him becoming one), but he hasn't shown much and has iffy hands and missing opportunities.

I like Brooks, based on what I have read, he runs good routes, has good hands and is fairly physical. some people have game speed. there is one thing to run in shorts, but there is another thing to run in pads, while someone is clinging to you. those two speeds are different.

I think Moreno is a good candidate for PS. he shows promise. has had some flashes, but I think he is still a bit too green. My opinion, we keep 6 WRs and its between Fehoko and Brooks, with top 5 being Lamb, Cooks, Gallup, Tolbert, Turpin. I really don't think we go 7 WRs this year and probably lean on extra bodies in TE or RB group.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think Tolbert, Turpin, brooks/fehoko will get some reps and be in the rotation, as each brings something different. top 3 will obviously get majority reps.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I want to see some games. Personally, that seems to be where Cropper shines. They at least have to give him a chance, too. I believe it's all friendly practice. It comes down to what they do in games.
On Special Teams.

As receivers, games don't matter.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Gallup should be your 3, but there is some serious depth battle at WR taking place.
I am thankful for the expanded PS retention rules, because we have a serious shake up taking place.
Entirely agree, but I think the problem is that some of our prospects, like Cropper, won't make it to the PS (unless they're stashed) as other teams will probably pluck them.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think Tolbert, Turpin, brooks/fehoko will get some reps and be in the rotation, as each brings something different. top 3 will obviously get majority reps.

I think you're right, but I think Fehoko is going to be cut. I think he's had a horrible camp so far, and, unless he either steps it up or plays better than Brooks in the preseason games, I think it's Brooks' job to lose ATM.

stiletto

Reaction score
We hear about the WR's every year in TC. Lets see what he can do in preseason. Sadly I dont think our backup Oline is going to give the QB much time or RB's much room to run. I guess we will find out if this short, dumpoff additions to the offense are going to work.
I don't know how ANYONE is excited about the offense even with adding Cooks. Everyone knows Tyron will eventually go down. How is Dak going to throw with these scrub Olinemen?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The front office/coaching staff is "hoping" either Semi or Brooks becomes that next Noah Brown. Strong special teamer, who can also do the dirty worker as a receiver in certain packages. Brooks appears to have the edge, but the preseason games could force the team to roster Semi.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think one of the less talked abour aspects is the fact that our WR group has gotten so much better that I forgot that Dennis Houston was a starter last year. How crazy is that? And now it seems like Dennis Houston will be lucky to get a spot on the PS.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't know how ANYONE is excited about the offense even with adding Cooks. Everyone knows Tyron will eventually go down. How is Dak going to throw with these scrub Olinemen?

I think it's more to do with the weapons. Plus, the fact that we're going with a quicker passing scheme should help Tyron. This is because Dak should have the ball out within 3-5 seconds of taking the snap. I think part of the problem with the Garrett/Linehan/Moore scheme is that the routes took a long time to develop, which meant the oline had to hold their blocks longer. Now that we're going to a quicker passing scheme, the time with which the oline needs to block is going to decrease. Thus, the scheme should help protect the oline.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I think one of the less talked abour aspects is the fact that our WR group has gotten so much better that I forgot that Dennis Houston was a starter last year. How crazy is that? And now it seems like Dennis Houston will be lucky to get a spot on the PS.
That's right. We have the perpetual trolls telling us it's nothing. But I see something with this guy. More than, say, players like Houston. I don't think Houston has much of a chance on the 53 myself.. Not sure how they set up the PS.

I've never seen Houston or Fehoko look like that in camp.. ever.