CFZ Something I noticed About Jalen Brooks

quickccc

Reaction score
That’s very fair, I’d probably agree with it. I’m curious to see Tolbert in preseason. Houston can’t be forgotten either

it's too bad Tolbert is not being trained to be a punt returner, as Deuce is currently being trained in that area... but maybe the coaches did not
want that extra duty to load up on Tolbert, when they are already trying to un-cork him as a receiver.
Let him focus on one role and position this year.

rambo2

Reaction score
it's too bad Tolbert is not being trained to be a punt returner, as Deuce is currently being trained in that area... but maybe the coaches did not
want that extra duty to load up on Tolbert, when they are already trying to un-cork him as a receiver.
Let him focus on one role and position this year.
Turpin is the punt returner.

quickccc

Reaction score
Turpin is the punt returner.
- Turpin is not going to return punts and kicks in preseason ,,, just work exclusively as a receiver

- Deuce is likely gonna be the preseason punt returner; ... we do need an emergency backup punt returner in the event Turpin gets hurt.

- After Deuce ... who is next in line as a punt returner ? ... who returns punts in preseason if da Deuce gets nicked and banged up in preseason?

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Preseason apparently doesn't matter, so since he's been a training camp star he's on the team! :rolleyes:

Jarntt

Reaction score
The biggest question about Brooks making the team is does he run down and tackle on STs. We won't likely keep a #5/6 WR who doesn't on the 53 and most certainly not on the game day roster.

Macnalty

Reaction score
He was not on my radar for the draft last year, one of the few things I trust with this team is talent evaluation, they have missed some but overall they are pretty savvy with Will McClay. Very disappointed in his last year situation, not sure I really understood what was happening. Much like this lack of respect for Martin our LG. Preseason will give us the reality of his comeback and status.

quickccc

Reaction score
The biggest question about Brooks making the team is does he run down and tackle on STs. We won't likely keep a #5/6 WR who doesn't on the 53 and most certainly not on the game day roster.
,,, or punt protector ala Noah Brown..

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm not going to predict or pretend I know if he'll make the team, because there's still a lot of time left in camp and we've yet to play the first game, and that's where you really get a glimpse of what they can do in games.

Brooks' 40 time reminds me a lot of a few other players, like Jalen Hyatt, where they're actually faster than their 40 indicates -- just faster down the stretch and at the top of the route, which is what you need in the NFL to beat NFL level CBs and safeties, you just have to catch them at the right timing of the route, and fluctuation of speed, the ability to slow down, speed up hit a gear at will is what makes your route succeed in a given series. And since it's just one play at a time, that's why I see Jalen Brooks doing well. He's a high-IQ guy, just gets down to business after learning the why's of the play.. Just takes one play at a time. But I think that's big to him. He understand the why. I would like to see Cropper take this approach. Asking "why this, why that?"

A lot of stuff will click for players if you make them curious.

Anyway, like I said, I'm a big Jalen Cropper fan, too. But when I looked closer at Brooks, I can see why they liked him. Dare I say he's even got a little Irvin in him, early years Irvin when he, too, was sort of growing into being a full-grown adult.

Not only that, I thought Cropper was sharp, and I think he is. I still think he has a chance to be a good player. But lets not pretend Brooks 40 time on paper should be taken seriously. He plays with speed, and seems sharp as a tack. That's a coaches dream in our situation. I personally hope we can stash Cropper on IR if he doesn't make the team.

I still think Fehoko is intriguing. But I want to see he and Tolbert both produce in preseason. Or I'm willing to cut bait to add better players.

Maybe Tolbert does have that 4th spot locked up. But I think it's possible there actually may be better players suited for the role.

This is a nice class of players, IMO. It's nice to be talking about a 7th rounder or UDFAs. We have a great problem in Dallas, baby!
Basically he's the Noah Brown 2.0, who will play special teams, he will be a team favorite, will dress some games, won't others, he's a guy after we lose cooks in free agency and let go of Gallup, he'll be our #2

kskboys

Reaction score
Basically he's the Noah Brown 2.0, who will play special teams, he will be a team favorite, will dress some games, won't others, he's a guy after we looks cooks in free agency and let go of Gallup, he'll be our #2
That's pretty much what I see. His physical traits just don't add up to starter.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That's pretty much what I see. His physical traits just don't add up to starter.
Ksk you're so negative I love it lol jk, we shall see, we sure do know how to hype up players after making a few decent catches in camp!

kskboys

Reaction score
Ksk you're so negative I love it lol jk, we shall see, we sure do know how to hype up players after making a few decent catches in camp!
We do this every year. Fall in love w/ TC standouts, and then they don't make the team.

You simply cannot tell a whole lot from TC. Preseason is where guys who can play start to show it. But even then, you must evaluate w/ a strong consideration as to who they're facing. Can a WR who gets open against a coming cut get open against an NFL quality CB?

And then, you gotta consider, we need the next Noah Brown. We need a good STer who can fill in when needed, and Noah didn't do badly when filling in when you consider he was our 5th WR.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We do this every year. Fall in love w/ TC standouts, and then they don't make the team.

You simply cannot tell a whole lot from TC. Preseason is where guys who can play start to show it. But even then, you must evaluate w/ a strong consideration as to who they're facing. Can a WR who gets open against a coming cut get open against an NFL quality CB?

And then, you gotta consider, we need the next Noah Brown. We need a good STer who can fill in when needed, and Noah didn't do badly when filling in when you consider he was our 5th WR.
totally agree