CFZ Something I noticed About Jalen Brooks

lkelly

Reaction score
His status as a third round draft pick and dead cap because of it.
What, roughly $680K of dead cap charge? I think they would save money overall this year as his $940K salary would come off the books. I don't think that's going to move the needle one way or another. Jerry's refusal to part with draft picks from day 1 or 2 is more likely the inertia keeping him on the roster if he's not actually top 5 at his position on the team. They guaranteed over $200K of bonus and salary for LB Tyrus Wheat as an UDFA. Does his cap charge give you the sweats? Not sure I've even seen him mentioned in a practice report.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Brooks has been looking good. It will be fun to see him in preseason!

Speed is an asset for a WR no doubt, but I'll take a big, strong, reliable WR who plays smart, runs precise routes, and has terrific hands.

Interesting to see him vs Jax this weekend .

Mannix

Reaction score
I'm not going to predict or pretend I know if he'll make the team, because there's still a lot of time left in camp and we've yet to play the first game, and that's where you really get a glimpse of what they can do in games.

Brooks' 40 time reminds me a lot of a few other players, like Jalen Hyatt, where they're actually faster than their 40 indicates -- just faster down the stretch and at the top of the route, which is what you need in the NFL to beat NFL level CBs and safeties, you just have to catch them at the right timing of the route, and fluctuation of speed, the ability to slow down, speed up hit a gear at will is what makes your route succeed in a given series. And since it's just one play at a time, that's why I see Jalen Brooks doing well. He's a high-IQ guy, just gets down to business after learning the why's of the play.. Just takes one play at a time. But I think that's big to him. He understand the why. I would like to see Cropper take this approach. Asking "why this, why that?"

A lot of stuff will click for players if you make them curious.

Anyway, like I said, I'm a big Jalen Cropper fan, too. But when I looked closer at Brooks, I can see why they liked him. Dare I say he's even got a little Irvin in him, early years Irvin when he, too, was sort of growing into being a full-grown adult.

Not only that, I thought Cropper was sharp, and I think he is. I still think he has a chance to be a good player. But lets not pretend Brooks 40 time on paper should be taken seriously. He plays with speed, and seems sharp as a tack. That's a coaches dream in our situation. I personally hope we can stash Cropper on IR if he doesn't make the team.

I still think Fehoko is intriguing. But I want to see he and Tolbert both produce in preseason. Or I'm willing to cut bait to add better players.

Maybe Tolbert does have that 4th spot locked up. But I think it's possible there actually may be better players suited for the role.

This is a nice class of players, IMO. It's nice to be talking about a 7th rounder or UDFAs. We have a great problem in Dallas, baby!
I said the day he was drafted that he reminded me of Irvin....just watch the tape on him! This could be a REAL STEAL...lets just hope Booger and Chuckles don't try and stash him in favor of some slug named Tolbert, Turpin, or Fehoko.

kskboys

Reaction score
Brooks has been looking good. It will be fun to see him in preseason!

Speed is an asset for a WR no doubt, but I'll take a big, strong, reliable WR who plays smart, runs precise routes, and has terrific hands.
Brooks runs precise routes? I haven't heard that, but it would be awesome!!!!

Hope he's physically able to.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'll say that they keep 6 and have 2 on the Practice squad.

I could see that. It's amazing the difference a year makes. Last year, we had very little behind Lamb to get excited about at WR. Now, we have more WRs than we know what to do with.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yep... Not sure if he'd stick around. But you're probably right. He may have better odds elsewhere, and I'd hate to see him go. There's always IR and all that. So, we'll see.
I think if he was in TC last year with us, he easily makes the roster. But, this year, we have talented WRs coming out of our ears.

quickccc

Reaction score
I'm not going to predict or pretend I know if he'll make the team, because there's still a lot of time left in camp and we've yet to play the first game, and that's where you really get a glimpse of what they can do in games.

Brooks' 40 time reminds me a lot of a few other players, like Jalen Hyatt, where they're actually faster than their 40 indicates -- just faster down the stretch and at the top of the route, which is what you need in the NFL to beat NFL level CBs and safeties, you just have to catch them at the right timing of the route, and fluctuation of speed, the ability to slow down, speed up hit a gear at will is what makes your route succeed in a given series. And since it's just one play at a time, that's why I see Jalen Brooks doing well. He's a high-IQ guy, just gets down to business after learning the why's of the play.. Just takes one play at a time. But I think that's big to him. He understand the why. I would like to see Cropper take this approach. Asking "why this, why that?"

Anyway, like I said, I'm a big Jalen Cropper fan, too. But when I looked closer at Brooks, I can see why they liked him. Dare I say he's even got a little Irvin in him, early years Irvin when he, too, was sort of growing into being a full-grown adult.

Not only that, I thought Cropper was sharp, and I think he is. I still think he has a chance to be a good player. But lets not pretend Brooks 40 time on paper should be taken seriously. He plays with speed, and seems sharp as a tack. That's a coaches dream in our situation. I personally hope we can stash Cropper on IR if he doesn't make the team.

I still think Fehoko is intriguing. But I want to see he and Tolbert both produce in preseason. Or I'm willing to cut bait to add better players.

Maybe Tolbert does have that 4th spot locked up. But I think it's possible there actually may be better players suited for the role.

This is a nice class of players, IMO. It's nice to be talking about a 7th rounder or UDFAs. We have a great problem in Dallas, baby!
And you've noticed all of this off just mere chop and bit pieces of camp practices high lights ? (and it's a reason why they are called " highlights" )

Not even when the actual live action preseason games haven't even started yet ? :huh:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

I like the way I have seen Brooks use his body as a shield vs defender, brought back some memories, preseason can be his playground, looking forward to watching all this WR depth, crazy battles going on.

rambo2

Reaction score
And you've noticed all of this off just mere chop and bit pieces of camp practices high lights ? (and it's a reason why they are called " highlights" )

Not even when the actual live action preseason games haven't even started yet ? :huh:
The people that cover the team mention him every day and the coverage we get is more than just highlights. We get a lot of live action as well.

Mannix

Reaction score
If you are the standout WR in camp, then why are we talking #6 or #7 and not seeing much time his Rookie season? If he's clearly the best guy in camp, why not #3?

quickccc

Reaction score
The people that cover the team mention him every day and the coverage we get is more than just highlights. We get a lot of live action as well.
You're banking off clips and view points that can be bias, and vary among media outlets. That's how you end up with toy-pets ,ala Hunter Lupeke..

Basically your own eye ball test in preseason games bests put the varies to rest, right ?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I actually bet Brooks makes the roster too. The more I see him play, the more I see he'll soon be NFL ready, if he isn't already. This guy is good. I saw his film clip from this offseason working on his routes, and I'm telling you guys.. This guy is an athlete, and a playmaker.

Here's his 40 time. Like I was saying, his speed picks up after 40 yards, and he has a long stride...

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
A guy with his talent (he was actually expected by some to go as high as 2nd round) isn't going to get cut as a rookie. Especially considering he was a small school guy struggling with the more technical adjustments in the nfl. There also wasn't any WRs that didn't make it that were worth keeping over him.
I’m talking this year, based on reports of day to day stuff, camp coverage… people are thinking Turpin and Brooks are having better camps; not that Tolbert has had a bad one.

How many WRs are we keeping on the 53?

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
What, roughly $680K of dead cap charge? I think they would save money overall this year as his $940K salary would come off the books. I don't think that's going to move the needle one way or another. Jerry's refusal to part with draft picks from day 1 or 2 is more likely the inertia keeping him on the roster if he's not actually top 5 at his position on the team. They guaranteed over $200K of bonus and salary for LB Tyrus Wheat as an UDFA. Does his cap charge give you the sweats? Not sure I've even seen him mentioned in a practice report.
Honestly, yeah, I’m thinking that 700k keeps him on the roster over a guy that might be outperforming him right now in camp. Im not saying Tolbert stinks, this is solely just my opinion.

You’re only keeping 5-6 WRs, if that number is 6, he’s probably good for the 53.