Something Weird Going On With ET

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I'm not sure it's the money holding this up. The Cowboys were offering Seattle a 2nd for him? If that's the case then money wasn't an issue. What else would they have done after giving up a 2nd, let him walk? The Cowboys are reconsidering for other reasons.

What reason could they possibly have to go from offering a 2nd round pick to saying, "nah bro, we good"?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The only weird thing going on is ET overestimated the demand for his services. It'll work out in the end, but several teams already chose different options.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have to think that all of this bodes well for a deal with the Cowboys.

He's either asking for too much - and more than everyone is willing to pay or he wants to play in Dallas so badly that he's simply waiting and hoping that the Cowboys will somehow up their offer before he inevitably signs here.

I can't think of another reason why he hasn't signed a deal - here or elsewhere - at this point.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
What reason could they possibly have to go from offering a 2nd round pick to saying, "nah bro, we good"?

Assuming Dallas did indeed offer a second last year for him (I never really saw or heard compelling proof of that), here are some reasons their minds could have changed:

1. Thomas has had yet another season ending injury since they made the offer. The Cowboys know they likely dodged a bullet last year when he broke his leg right after the trade fell through (if there was a trade offered).

2. Thomas is now a year older. With the end of his pro bowl skills likely coming in about 2-3 years, 1 season is a big percentage of what’s left of his career.

3. He’s now on the open market making him and/or his agent feel like he is in a better bargaining position, thus expecting more money.

4. Xavier Woods played better than they thought and the need for a center fielder in Dallas has subsided.

5. With Woods solid play, they may feel like they have bigger needs than a FS that’ll bench one of their promising young DB’s. Maybe a slot WR with Bease gone. Maybe a better interior DL. Maybe they think a strong safety is more of a need with Woods’,good play.

Any combination of those reasons would be enough to keep Dallas from pulling the trigger on this. It certainly would be enough reason not to up an offer to an unreasonable number. To just set a dollar figure you’re comfortable with and let it play out.

I’m in that same boat with them, if that’s the case. I wouldn’t mind him being here but it isn’t very imperative to me that Thomas is in Dallas. There are bigger things to worry about, IMO.

Last edited:

Dre11

Reaction score
Something definitely up. Maybe there is an understanding between the team. Could Thomas be waiting for the Lawerence deal to get done.

cowboys1985

Reaction score
I just think Earl knows the cowboys offer will always be there since they aren't going to be big spenders in FA and have the cap room. He's hoping a team gets desperate after missing out on FAs and makes a better offer. I still think Bears, Colts, and now Falcons are threats.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I just think Earl knows the cowboys offer will always be there since they aren't going to be big spenders in FA and have the cap room. He's hoping a team gets desperate after missing out on FAs and makes a better offer. I still think Bears, Colts, and now Falcons are threats.
The Bears have a very young, very good all-pro FS in Eddie Jackson. I’d be shocked if they were even considering Thomas at all. If they wanted to spend big on a safety in FA, they would have looked at Collins, who would be a great compliment to Jackson. Or, they likely would have just spent to keep Amos. Either of those guys would not only fit better with Jackson, but they both are just entering the prime of their careers, while Earl is exiting his.

It would make no sense at all.

EGTuna

Reaction score
It's weird that he and Collins have the same agent, and his agent got Collins signed to perhaps an over-market deal on day -3, and Earl is still out there.

Ddisco22

Reaction score
Virtually every really good safety has signed but him.

Only two teams left that need a safety, Dallas and SF. However, reports are SF has not contacted or spoken to ET or his representatives. Teams are avoiding ET like he has the plague. Only three logical explanations.

1. ET has such crazy money demands nobody is even bothering, but reports are he wants $14 a year which is not that much more than what some others got.

2. ET injury history is scaring teams off. This doesn’t really jive since his injuries were bone breaks and not soft tissue. There should be no increased risk involved since broken bones actually get stronger when they heal.

3. He has the parameters of a deal in place with Dallas already and he is shopping it around. Teams know any offer they make he will just take back to Dallas to match so they are just not bothering. Teams are not stupid and don’t like be played with.

I think number 3 is the most realistic scenario right now in all honesty. Makes the most sense.
I'm going with number 1 currently, I'm sure the money has scared them off. Plus they are known for giving low balled offers

cowboys1985

Reaction score
The Bears have a very young, very good all-pro FS in Eddie Jackson. I’d be shocked if they were even considering Thomas at all. If they wanted to spend big on a safety in FA, they would have looked at Collins, who would be a great compliment to Jackson. Or, they likely would have just spent to keep Amos. Either of those guys would not only fit better with Jackson, but they both are just entering the prime of their careers, while Earl is exiting his.

It would make no sense at all.

Good point, I forgot Amos was SS not FS. I do think Bears want to make a signifcant signing or they wouldn't have restructured Mack's deal.