Something Weird Going On With ET

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
4. Hes holding out hope that Dallas will give a competitive offer to his agent, but he can’t even get the time of day from them. In the end he signs a team friendly deal in some place he never wanted to be.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
These men are prideful and performing at a level which keeps people respecting them is also a motivation. I think it is a mistake to assume that others think like we do.
You would think that wouldn't you. Depends on the Integrity of the individual player

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
not sure what it is but is kinda different I would of thought he would of already signed with someone

Sandyf

Reaction score
Lots to digest on this free agency bit with many teams grossly overpaying for older or average starters. In some cases, changing teams is good for a player and may prove of value but most of the time you don't see the value. With Earl Thomas, I believe he helps Dallas but that doesn't mean I wouldn't worry about the money he wants and his age.

The one thing that makes me hesitate on anything about Lawrence or Thomas or Dak or Cooper or Zeke or Jones is Jerry Jones. He has a huge, huge flair for the dramatic. So would it surprise anyone that on March 13th or March 15th, he calls a press conference and parades all of those guys in front of us and announces the signing and extensions. Heck, he would be the NEWS for the rest of free agency. Newspapers, social media, newscasts, ESPN, NFL channel and just about anything else would be talking Cowboys for weeks. The perfect Jerry storm!

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Although ET is regarded as the most talented safety in this league there's a bit going against him.

1. He outright was dissing his current team. Other than holding out for the whole year it was as blatant as it can get with outright going to another team and saying come get me. Constantly showing your affection to play for a conference rival for 1 1/2 seasons. Then the "F" finger. Bowing after generating a couple INT's to our coaching staff. Teams know his heart is in Texas and this is most likely his last deal. They shy away from a player that intimates those things when they're not the team he's looking for.

2. He's coming off an injury. Has time to come back from it but it creates questions of where he is physically, especially missing 17 games in the past 3 seasons.

3. This doesn't bother me as much as I can see this guy playing at a high level until 34 but he will be 30 this season.

4. Wants to be the highest paid safety in the league.

5. Most teams that could have used him already have agreed to new safety deals.

6. Sherman said what he said but other than that,where have the 49er's shown any interest? I heard the Texans but they're out of that conversation now. Indy drafted Malik Hooker 15th overall and is a good FS, so where they come up beats me?

Now the Bears need someone when they had a chance to keep their guy, but they let Amos go. They just free'd up some room re-structuring Mack so if they are not going after him and the 49er's aren't going after him I can't see how we don't have this locked up?

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Virtually every really good safety has signed but him.

Only two teams left that need a safety, Dallas and SF. However, reports are SF has not contacted or spoken to ET or his representatives. Teams are avoiding ET like he has the plague. Only three logical explanations.

1. ET has such crazy money demands nobody is even bothering, but reports are he wants $14 a year which is not that much more than what some others got.

2. ET injury history is scaring teams off. This doesn’t really jive since his injuries were bone breaks and not soft tissue. There should be no increased risk involved since broken bones actually get stronger when they heal.

3. He has the parameters of a deal in place with Dallas already and he is shopping it around. Teams know any offer they make he will just take back to Dallas to match so they are just not bothering. Teams are not stupid and don’t like be played with.

I think number 3 is the most realistic scenario right now in all honesty. Makes the most sense.
The market for ET's age, talent, injury history and the unknown of how he will play after his last injury is not 14 mil a year.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
4. Hes holding out hope that Dallas will give a competitive offer to his agent, but he can’t even get the time of day from them. In the end he signs a team friendly deal in some place he never wanted to be.

This is my belief as well...unfortunately.

SSoup

Reaction score
We’re overthinking this.

Earl doesn’t care about coming to Dallas. He wants to be paid.
Ding ding ding.

It's been pretty clear to many of us from the beginning.

When a player or agent goes out of their way to drag our team's name into the picture with them, 99.9% of the time it's a cynical, fairly see-through strategy to leverage more money for themselves. (And yet it so often works because our bumbling GM still has no filter or concept of how to not get played.)

But when the chips are down, they sign elsewhere. No matter what love they said they had for us or Texas or whatever nonsense they spouted.

Everyone's your brother til the rent comes due.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

Slater joined the GBAG Nation today on 105.3 The Fan to discuss what she was hearing regarding Thomas, and according to her, several teams that were thought to be in on the free agent safety haven't expressed any interest as of yet.

"I heard Houston was in play at one point. I ran down the rumor of Cleveland being interested earlier today," Slater said. "I've made calls to Arizona they don't need one (safety). San Francisco ... no. They haven't even had a conversation with him yet. Unless this dark horse emerges, it's a little quiet out there.

"My luck in 10 minutes we'll get Ian Rapoport or Mike Garafolo from my network reporting he signed a $15 million deal with someone else. ... But the phone calls that I've made. Every rumor and every whisper. ... I've done my due diligence. ... It's feeling pretty quiet out there. And, I have a feeling, his numbers might fall and the Cowboys might end up with their man after all."

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
We’re overthinking this.

Earl doesn’t care about coming to Dallas. He wants to be paid.

Cheaper options were there. Simple as that

Totally agree. If we think that SJ was unaware of his contract wants moving ahead while talking with Seattle during the 2018 off season then we don't know dick about planning. He wouldn't negotiate with the team without knowing what the player wanted. I don't believe the Cowboys have any intentions of paying ET what he believes he is worth. I think that ship sailed last spring. I could be wrong, I may be crazy. Hey, maybe ET will bend over and take it for the team. I don't see him as that "type" with a team first mentality as he flips off his team from a stretcher. Low class, lot's of sass and very crass

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I can't get this out of my head. ET wants $15 million. Dallas wants to give him $10 million.

But the Cowboys are keeping a receiver with a broken leg (Allen Hurns) that counts $5 million towards the cap.

Can the Dallas front office do first or second grade level math???

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

This nugget reminded me of a tweet I read from a former GM couple months ago regarding ET value as a free agent. He pointed out that speed was a big of ET game and w/o it, he's just an average player. That's going the challenge for next the team that signs.....are you still getting ET with speed, it so, out much is left.

Earl Thomas (29), Seattle
Plenty of safeties have flourished in their 30s, but most were box players (John Lynch, Brian Dawkins, Charles Woodson, etc.). Thomas is a rangy centerfielder hoping for a Rod Woodson-type second act. Even coming off the leg injury, he’s worth the gamble. He’ll be an alpha in your secondary who can give a defensive play-caller invaluable peace of mind

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
I can't get this out of my head. ET wants $15 million. Dallas wants to give him $10 million.

But the Cowboys are keeping a receiver with a broken leg (Allen Hurns) that counts $5 million towards the cap.

Thought something very similar.

Hurns is a nice guy though and doesn’t rock the boat. He is well liked so he deserves 6 million dollars lol

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
This nugget reminded me of a tweet I read from a former GM couple months ago regarding ET value as a free agent. He pointed out that speed was a big of ET game and w/o it, he's just an average player. That's going the challenge for next the team that signs.....are you still getting ET with speed, it so, out much is left.

Earl Thomas (29), Seattle
Plenty of safeties have flourished in their 30s, but most were box players (John Lynch, Brian Dawkins, Charles Woodson, etc.). Thomas is a rangy centerfielder hoping for a Rod Woodson-type second act. Even coming off the leg injury, he’s worth the gamble. He’ll be an alpha in your secondary who can give a defensive play-caller invaluable peace of mind

ET with no speed is a huge upgrade over Jeff Heath at any speed. The Cowboys have to make this happen. With no 1st round pick Thomas is their lone chance to immediately improve the roster.

I say this because I was hoping Adrian Amos or Tashaun Gipson would be around as cheaper Plan B's. They're gone. ET, Phone Home!!

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hurns was signed on a two year deal, I think. Even if we cut him, I think we still take a cap hit.

Reaction score

They have exercised an option for Hurns at that amount. Doesn’t mean they’ll keep him at that amount, or at all. While that $5 million counts toward the cap right now, it doesn’t factor at all in the decision on ET. You should worry more about the $20 million tied up in D Law’s franchise tag