Sorry, but I need to vent

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
I'm still aching over the first round.

First, on the Mendenhall-Felix debate:

I don't have a problem with Felix Jones. I think he's a real nice addition to the team. I love his quickness, big-play ability and intangibles.

My problem with the pick is about philosophy. If you have Mendenhall ranked higher, then you should take him. Jerry refused to comment on the board, so that's all we need to know. He got off the team's board to pick Barber a running mate, instead of picking a guy who may become a franchise back.

Why have a draft board if you're going to ignore it? Months of work by Ciskowski and the scouts go into putting the board together.

I think this is a bad habit and it makes me nervous with Jerry as the dominant personality in the draft room. If Dallas liked Jones better, I'm fine with that. But he should have been higher on the board then.

Like I said, I like Felix Jones and what he offers. I think he'll be a nice fit. But we'll follow this in the coming years and see how the two backs compare.

My biggest disappointment was the Jenkins pick. Out of the top 8 or so cornerbacks, he was the one guy I didn't want. Every report I read talked about his inconsistency and his lack of ball skills.

Everyone talked about the top-notch physical ability, but that's just not enough. Even his own position coach talked about how Jenkins needs to be pushed, how he needs to play harder.

I liked Cason and Flowers because of their productivity and intangibles. I don't think Jenkins is that much better of an athlete. Cason had 15 interceptions to Jenkins' 6 in their four-year careers. A.J. Smith at San Diego is a GM whom I trust and he jumped all over Cason. I'm not surprised.

Simply put, Dallas bypassed the better football players at CB to pick the better athlete.

Again, the next few years will tell us if Jerry was right. I'll be glad to admit it if I'm wrong, and I actually hope I have to.

But right now, this is the most disappointed I've been on draft weekend since 2001.

Angus

Reaction score
You make good points, but the water is over the bridge.

:star:

ndanger

Reaction score
Why are you assuming it was all Jerry? I've read several reports where some of his ideas were shut down. Maybe Jason and Wade made the case that Felix was more valuable in the way they could integrate him into the playbook.If you step back and analyze the situation with out personal preference and emotion it all makes sense.I was a Ray Rice supporter, still am in that I will curiously watch his carreer to see how he does.After analyzing the picks and the way they will be utilized, I think this was a very good draft.I was not a proponent of drafting a wide receiver so that to me will not be viewed as a negative.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
this is how you vent people

intelligently

althought I don't necessarily agree, I'm pretty stocked

ndanger

Reaction score
Chief;2058735 said:
Because Jerry tells everyone he has final say.

And final say could not have possibly been to go with a consensus rather than what he really wanted to do?:confused:

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Here, let me cheer you up:

Your football knowledge pales in comparison to scouts.

NinePointOh

Reaction score
Chief;2058735 said:
Because Jerry tells everyone he has final say.

Last night he said they sat still at 30 in the 2nd round and took Martellus Bennett because he got outvoted.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are way more positives than negatives to this draft. You can't always get what you want or need, but we did a pretty good job of picking without reaching too much. The trading down bugged me until I took a look and realized we picked up a 3rd and 4th next year and a 5th and 7th this year. Not too shabby.

IronCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
And how many games have you scouted? How many hours of film have you watched? How many interviews have you conducted?

Right, none. Now shut the hell up and let the SMART people do their jobs and scout players.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chief;2058698 said:
My biggest disappointment was the Jenkins pick. Out of the top 8 or so cornerbacks, he was the one guy I didn't want.
He was the #1 CB on the Cowboys board. Sorry!

BHendri5

Reaction score
Chief,

Jerry said that Felix and Rashard M. were rated even on their board. Besides, Mendenhall has one year under his belt, Felix has 3, T. Choice has 3, also Mendenhall was kept on the sidelines by a guy that went undrafted last season, so think about that, while you are venting.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2058752 said:

I'm afraid the Cowboys will be.

I hope he decides to start working hard now that he's getting paid.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Chief;2058767 said:
I'm afraid the Cowboys will be.

I hope he decides to start working hard now that he's getting paid.

Mike Jenkins is a heck of a football player.

If hes our biggest worry then we had one hell of a draft.

jbsg02

Reaction score
Mike Jenkins was our best pick, I don't know why you dislike him so much. They called him the most NFL ready corner in the draft, no way they were gonna take Talib

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
No wonder why fans of other teams make fun of our fans so often. We had an absolutely fantastic draft and some of you don't even realize it. We addressed two of our three areas of weakness in superb fashion (RB and CB). We didn't get a WR because there weren't any worth taking, at least according to our front office. We did very well and it will show this fall.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Chief, I agree entirely on the philosophy aspect (I dont' know enough about Jenkins to comment intelligently).

I like Felix Jones and think he'll contribute nicely. But like you said, I never like the philosophy of falling in love with a guy and ignoring a draft board.

The "he's too much like Barber" argument doesn't sit well with me because Barber shined as a backup to a starter that didn't do much. If Mendenhall is like Barber as Jerry and Wade said, you would figure he, too, could perform admirably as a backup.

The only argument I buy is if the Cowboys simply don't think he'd work as a backup. There are running backs that get better as the game goes by and won't succeed with 8 carries a game. If we deemed Mendenhall is like that, then he'd have been a wasted pick. But why the Barber comparisons then?

Oh, and lastly ... I can't agree that this draft makes me feel like 2001. We had no first round pick and took like third- and sixth-round talents in the second round. I really saw no upside with that draft. At least this one, we agree Felix is a quality player -- perhaps not the best pick, but a solid one -- and Jenkins was a good prospect, even if not everyone's favorite available.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
jbsg02;2058803 said:
Mike Jenkins was our best pick, I don't know why you dislike him so much.

I don't like guys with motivation issues.

And that's coming from his position coach at South Florida.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I have the same concerns. I said when Ireland left that Ciskowski's biggest job responsibility that comes with the promotion is not the talent evaluation, but someone who will stand up to Jerry and speak on behalf of the scouts when Jerry gets some of his pet cats. Reportedly Ireland and Jerry got into some pretty heated discussions in the War Room. I don't know if Ciskowski has the same chutzpah.

I don't have a problem with Felix Jones at #21, and stated as much before the draft. However, if the scouts had Mendenhall rated higher on their board, that's who the pick should have been. Jerry sort of evaded the question yestereday, which kind of makes me think he was Jerry's pet cat. If Felix was ranked higher than Mendenhall on the scouts board, I'll gladly take it all back.

Mickey said today that Jerry was chomping at the bit to move up in the 2nd round to get Martullus Bennett, and Stephen and Wade had to talk him down off the ledge and told him to be patient. Again, it feels like one of Jerry's pet cats. And as I said in the Bennett thread, I've watched him pretty extensively since he was the #1 recruit coming out of the State of Texas, and he's always struck me as the Look Like Tarzan and Play Like Jane guy. Seems like a lot of risk and hoopla over a guy who wasn't really necessary.

I have the same concerns about Mike Jenkins, and we've talked about it before. I don't blame Jerry and the Cowboys for that, because apparently we're in the minority and he was pretty much universally liked (well, maybe not universally because he did fall pretty far from where he was projected). I just haven't seen such a highly regarded prospect with such a lackluster resume ... including getting benched last year. Maybe if he was a huge big play turnover machine or some freak of nature athlete I could overlook all the red flags but ... I just ... don't get it.

I love the 2nd day. I would have been completely happy with Choice in the 3rd and Scandrick in the 4th, and the fact that Jerry was able to maneuver around and get both of them and a 3rd adn 4th next year and get them both a round later was shrewd. And the 1st day isn't without hope by any means ... it's just going to be boom or bust with all three guys. Like I said last night, I don't think anyone is going to look back on this draft in 5 years and give it a C-. It's going to be an A or an F, depending on what the top 3 picks give us. And just like Julius was linked with Steven Jackson, and DeMarcus will always be linked with Merriman, Felix will now always be linked and compared with Mendenhall. And Felix' productin will always be slanted compared to how it stands with Mendenhall. May not be fair, but that's the way it is. But the hints of pet cats running amok in the War Room and a lot of crazy moving back for the sake of moving back ... it brought back some late 90's flashbacks.