Sorry, but I need to vent

MONT17

Reaction score
RCowboyFan;2059066 said:
I disagree there. I am not saying, player should be evaluated sorely based on SB, but how much the team wins with the player in fold, if surrounding case is also pretty comparable is very fair.

For example, Barry Sanders vs Emmit Smith. Not many might agree, but I will bet, Cowboys wouldn't have won three SBs with Barry Sanders vs Emmit.

Barry was flashy but very flawed RB, who never trusted his OL and wasn't a great team mate from all that I read about him, and saw him when I was in Detroit compared to Emmit. His ammo was he would have one or two flashy great runs which would make everyone forget all the bad plays he had.

Same thing can be said about Dan Marino. As much I think Dan Marino is a great QB, he also wanted be more focal point than winning IMO.

Anyway, the point is, I agree that you cannot totally go on SBs, but there are certain players, who always seem to be on winning teams. I just don't think thats by chance.

The Cowboys do not win on the road in NY v. Giants the last game of the year in 93 with BARRY! EMMITT was a GOD

BuckyG

Reaction score
Chief;2059002 said:
"One thing he needs to do is work harder, learn that every play has an impact, whether it's in practice or a game. He's gotta learn that - 'This play is very, very important, don't take a play off.' He could also work on his ball skills a bit. He has good hands, not great hands."

This is from the defensive coordinator, not the position coach.

Obviously, the coach has a lot great things to say about the kid. This part just bothered me. It's a red flag for a first-rounder, IMO.

I didn't mention the arrest, because the coach's explanation seemed good.

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/archives/2008/04/dallas-cowboys-nfl-draft-series-south-fl.html

To be fair, when you look at the analysis of first-round picks, particularly those chosen in the latter half of the first round, you see this kind of thing all the time. Heck, they said the same thing, essentially, about Mario Williams and he was the #1 overall pick two years ago. It's actually a bit rare to have the combination of super physical talent, a nonstop motor, clean injury history, and great character. That's Chris Long. As you move farther down, you get greater levels of degree in those areas: great talents with character issues, hair-on-fire productive gym rats lacking ideal physical measurables, guys who have it all but have injury concerns, etc. Jenkins may or may not live up to his potential, but Anthony Henry just isn't fast enough to cover speedy receivers, and he's breaking down physically. The NFC East looks to be loading up with bigger wideouts. Jenkins has speed, size, and skills, and that's hard to come by.

But to me, the CB issue is almost academic: the real problem in the secondary is, sadly, Roy Williams.

Ratmatt

Reaction score
Chief;2058698 said:
I'm still aching over the first round.

First, on the Mendenhall-Felix debate:

I don't have a problem with Felix Jones. I think he's a real nice addition to the team. I love his quickness, big-play ability and intangibles.

My problem with the pick is about philosophy. If you have Mendenhall ranked higher, then you should take him. Jerry refused to comment on the board, so that's all we need to know. He got off the team's board to pick Barber a running mate, instead of picking a guy who may become a franchise back.

Why have a draft board if you're going to ignore it? Months of work by Ciskowski and the scouts go into putting the board together.

I think this is a bad habit and it makes me nervous with Jerry as the dominant personality in the draft room. If Dallas liked Jones better, I'm fine with that. But he should have been higher on the board then.

Like I said, I like Felix Jones and what he offers. I think he'll be a nice fit. But we'll follow this in the coming years and see how the two backs compare.

My biggest disappointment was the Jenkins pick. Out of the top 8 or so cornerbacks, he was the one guy I didn't want. Every report I read talked about his inconsistency and his lack of ball skills.

Everyone talked about the top-notch physical ability, but that's just not enough. Even his own position coach talked about how Jenkins needs to be pushed, how he needs to play harder.

I liked Cason and Flowers because of their productivity and intangibles. I don't think Jenkins is that much better of an athlete. Cason had 15 interceptions to Jenkins' 6 in their four-year careers. A.J. Smith at San Diego is a GM whom I trust and he jumped all over Cason. I'm not surprised.

Simply put, Dallas bypassed the better football players at CB to pick the better athlete.

Again, the next few years will tell us if Jerry was right. I'll be glad to admit it if I'm wrong, and I actually hope I have to.

But right now, this is the most disappointed I've been on draft weekend since 2001.
Everyone has a right to their own opinion on what happened,but we don't know if A.J.Smith would have chosen Cason if Jenkins had been there.Your argument against Jenkins contradicts your earlier argument on the 2 running backs.On that argument,you said you should always go by your board and take the higher player.Now albeit we don't know what the Chargers board looked liked,but most people had Jenkins ranked higher than Cason.Everone is entitled to their opinion,and some people here are happy,and some mad.I'm just glad that they played it pretty smart,and didn't start reaching for guys where they didn't belong.Good draft!