Sounds like Mazi could be in a better place this year

John813

Reaction score
Yea, hard to blame anyone really unless some damning evidence comes out and is reported by someone official and not the Liquor store owner.

Mazi Smith was a rawish prospect.
Adaption to the NFL alone makes some rookies first year a struggle in multiple ways. Some weaknesses from his "report" were seen but he did show some good plays here and there.

Hoping he has a good bounce back 2nd year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What’s so concerning about Mazi is he didn’t show a single flash in any game last season. I can’t remember one play where he impressed. Most first round picks that get off to slow starts as rookies, that become solid players show at least a few flashes to give you some hope. I can’t recall any player that we’ve drafted in any round that was given an opportunity as a rookie become a good player that didn’t at least show a few flashes. Even Taco showed a flash or two as a rookie. Mazi was such a liability his playing time was limited. I knew the coaches were concerned with him when he was playing practically every snap in preseason, including the final preseason game.

conner01

Reaction score
Yea, hard to blame anyone really unless some damning evidence comes out and is reported by someone official and not the Liquor store owner.

Mazi Smith was a rawish prospect.
Adaption to the NFL alone makes some rookies first year a struggle in multiple ways. Some weaknesses from his "report" were seen but he did show some good plays here and there.

Hoping he has a good bounce back 2nd year.
DT is a slow developing position. A lot to learn because just over powering guys might work in college but not so much in nfl. Have to learn technique to thrive in the nfl

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wish the mods woul
What’s so concerning about Mazi is he didn’t show a single flash in any game last season. I can’t remember one play where he impressed. Most first round picks that get off to slow starts as rookies, that become solid players show at least a few flashes to give you some hope. I can’t recall any player that we’ve drafted in any round that was given an opportunity as a rookie become a good player that didn’t at least show a few flashes. Even Taco showed a flash or two as a rookie. Mazi was such a liability his playing time was limited. I knew the coaches were concerned with him when he was playing practically every snap in preseason, including the final preseason game.
DT’s and LB’ers don’t flash in Quinn’s defense.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Quinn owes Mazi a huge apology.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...r-osa-odighizuwa-defensive-tackle-run-defense

“Just really, just getting back all the way to how I’m supposed to be. Putting everything back the right way. Training the right way. Eating the right things. All of that stuff that you’re supposed to do.”
I'm so tired of all the excuses, if he's going to be the guy then he needs to step up bigtime or release his sorry behind ASAP! Cowboys can't afford to carry anymore dead weight this coming season. It's bad enough that JJ didn't do anything to upgrade this position and it's going to be worse if this is just another fluff story...................

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Mazi is one of the players I'm going to be focusing on during preseason and when I can tune into tc. I'm expecting to see him clog up the middle for the LBers and other players. I'm expecting him to be able to take down the rbs. Basically, I'm expecting him to function as a NT.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You WILL see it.....right on schedule during his contract year
He may never reach his contract year if he doesn’t vastly improve. Taco was gone after two seasons. I don’t remember this much negativity with Taco after his rookie season.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'd have to think it will help him if his primary job is occupying blockers and keeping the linebackers clean. He is not a pass rusher.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm so tired of all the excuses, if he's going to be the guy then he needs to step up bigtime or release his sorry behind ASAP! Cowboys can't afford to carry anymore dead weight this coming season. It's bad enough that JJ didn't do anything to upgrade this position and it's going to be worse if this is just another fluff story...................
Who peed in your cereal?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
DT is a slow developing position. A lot to learn because just over powering guys might work in college but not so much in nfl. Have to learn technique to thrive in the nfl
This and their impact don't show in stats sometimes...........

blueblood70

Reaction score
Quinn’s defense was all about pressuring the QB. He wanted Mazi to lose weight to improve his pass rushing abilities.
Right Dan Quinn's defense was rushed to passer at all costs, if you happen to see a running back flashing in your peripheral just reach out at least get a paw on him,slow him down let his drag you 5 yards but het him down it counts as tackle. LOL

It IS that kind of run defense get that Paw out,

I mean you know getting his way but when you're that undersized like he used his linebackers kind of hard to play the run well at all... It's like he lived with it as long as the stat sheet filled up with pressures and sacks and turnovers which is all good,

but completely ignoring stopping the run is just not going to work against the better teams that can line up and do it all they're just going to pick on you you know like the Buffalo Bills, their quarterback had 100 yards or less in passing I don't know what his net yards were and they ran the ball all day, that whole game and you know what they said after the game that wasn't the game plan but we noticed they weren't even going to try to stop the run ,we decided to run it until they showed they were going to stop it and we lost that game because Dan Quinn wouldn't adjust,

sound familiar.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Right Dan Quinn's defense was rushed to passer at all costs, if you happen to see a running back flashing in your peripheral just reach out at least get a paw on him,slow him down let his drag you 5 yards but het him down it counts as tackle. LOL

It IS that kind of run defense get that Paw out,

I mean you know getting his way but when you're that undersized like he used his linebackers kind of hard to play the run well at all... It's like he lived with it as long as the stat sheet filled up with pressures and sacks and turnovers which is all good,

but completely ignoring stopping the run is just not going to work against the better teams that can line up and do it all they're just going to pick on you you know like the Buffalo Bills, their quarterback had 100 yards or less in passing I don't know what his net yards were and they ran the ball all day, that whole game and you know what they said after the game that wasn't the game plan but we noticed they weren't even going to try to stop the run ,we decided to run it until they showed they were going to stop it and we lost that game because Dan Quinn wouldn't adjust,

sound familiar.
Very familiar.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Mazi’s listed at 6’3” 337lbs. Hopefully he’s back to that playing weight.
Hopefully, because I don't know if he can ever become more than the run plugger he was supposed to be coming out of college, but right now, we need him to just be that player.