Sounds like Mazi could be in a better place this year

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
That wasn't the problem last year.
Yes. The problem is likely (based on what I saw last year) that he simply isn't a good NFL player. And at this point in his life a coach, a scheme, or some maturity can elevate him somewhat, but not enough to make him the starting level DL this team desperately needs.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Sure that is fair. it just seems that Mazi didn't get the message or rather any message on how to make it work.

Could be that Mazi is a slow learner, nothing wrong with that particularly coupled with hard work, or any number of things.

Point is things have changed significantly. The LB have been upgraded. We just need Mazi to step up.
Not sure how much the LBs have been upgraded. I have some hope since Kendricks has had success in this defense, but we don't know how much he has left. I have some hope for our past two third-round picks as well, and liked what Overshown was showing before he got hurt. And I have hope that Clark's ole in this scheme will better fit him. I do think having to take over for LVE proved to be too much for him last year.

I don't know what the major reason for Mazi's failure was last year. It could have been multiple things. I do hope that returning to doing what is more familiar will at least get him back to where we expected him to be as a rookie. Usually, it does take time for DL to hit their stride in the jump to the NFL, but Mazi did not come close to having success.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Not sure how much the LBs have been upgraded. I have some hope since Kendricks has had success in this defense, but we don't know how much he has left. I have some hope for our past two third-round picks as well, and liked what Overshown was showing before he got hurt. And I have hope that Clark's ole in this scheme will better fit him. I do think having to take over for LVE proved to be too much for him last year.

I don't know what the major reason for Mazi's failure was last year. It could have been multiple things. I do hope that returning to doing what is more familiar will at least get him back to where we expected him to be as a rookie. Usually, it does take time for DL to hit their stride in the jump to the NFL, but Mazi did not come close to having success.
Better than last year?

You cannot understand how Overshown, Kendricks, Clark, and the Luifau are better than Bell, Clark, and the corpse of LVE at first glance?

gimmesix

Reaction score
Better than last year?

You cannot understand how Overshown, Kendricks, Clark, and the Luifau are better than Bell, Clark, and the corpse of LVE at first glance?
I don't go by first glance. I'm a prove-it type. Overshown and Liufua have proven nothing. The corpse of LVE was playing pretty well before getting hurt. For all we know, Kendricks may turn into a corpse this year. He's on the downhill part of his career, for sure. I'm glad we addressed linebacker because we needed to, but we are doing it with a cheap FA (because of age) and two midround picks. That doesn't give me confidence, but it does give me hope. I do expect it to be better than Bell playing out of position and Clark trying to take over for LVE, but I can't say for certain that it will be.

A lot is going to depend on those DTs. If Mazi, in particular, is not able to hold his ground and force doubles, I'm not sure it's going to matter who is at linebacker because a guard or center is going to be on them off the snap.

CCBoy

Reaction score
try posting something positive about anyone for a change
He has been complimentary as a fan, also, for years...you tend towards bias and full of stereotypes.

Mazi was an extremely strong lineman when he started. He will be even stronger now and with experience that is set in a new defense.

How long did it take Larry Allen before he benched 700. Those types of separation need development time. Don't kid one's selr.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don't go by first glance. I'm a prove-it type. Overshown and Liufua have proven nothing. The corpse of LVE was playing pretty well before getting hurt. For all we know, Kendricks may turn into a corpse this year. He's on the downhill part of his career, for sure. I'm glad we addressed linebacker because we needed to, but we are doing it with a cheap FA (because of age) and two midround picks. That doesn't give me confidence, but it does give me hope. I do expect it to be better than Bell playing out of position and Clark trying to take over for LVE, but I can't say for certain that it will be.

A lot is going to depend on those DTs. If Mazi, in particular, is not able to hold his ground and force doubles, I'm not sure it's going to matter who is at linebacker because a guard or center is going to be on them off the snap.
Oh, he will learn 'brick wall' as if he hasn't gone onto a first named basis already.

CCBoy

Reaction score
That wasn't the problem last year.
He has to grow with Osa, who is a good teacher and example.

Over the last three seasons, Osa Odighizuwa has gone from a third-round pick to one of the top players on the Cowboys’ defense. However, his individual success aside, the defensive tackle position hasn’t been a strength overall for Dallas. Heading into the 2024 training camp, there’s legitimate concern that the rest of the group will still be a weak point.

Odighizuwa hasn’t lit up the league like fellow 2021 draftee Micah Parsons, few have in the history of the NFL. While not the flashiest DT you’ll ever see, Odighizuwa has earned league-wide respect as a formidable pass rusher who shows up in advanced analytics. He certainly stands out in the modern history of the position for Dallas; the days of La’Roi Glover and Jay Ratliff are in the ever-more-distant past.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...zi-smith-carl-davis-justin-rogers-mike-zimmer

gimmesix

Reaction score
Oh, he will learn 'brick wall' as if he hasn't gone onto a first named basis already.
He's got to be. The shoulder injury/surgery is a bit concerning in that regard. Hopefully, he's able to get back to full strength before the season starts because we need him to be stout in the interior.

gimmesix

Reaction score
He has to grow with Osa, who is a good teacher and example.

Over the last three seasons, Osa Odighizuwa has gone from a third-round pick to one of the top players on the Cowboys’ defense. However, his individual success aside, the defensive tackle position hasn’t been a strength overall for Dallas. Heading into the 2024 training camp, there’s legitimate concern that the rest of the group will still be a weak point.

Odighizuwa hasn’t lit up the league like fellow 2021 draftee Micah Parsons, few have in the history of the NFL. While not the flashiest DT you’ll ever see, Odighizuwa has earned league-wide respect as a formidable pass rusher who shows up in advanced analytics. He certainly stands out in the modern history of the position for Dallas; the days of La’Roi Glover and Jay Ratliff are in the ever-more-distant past.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...zi-smith-carl-davis-justin-rogers-mike-zimmer
Odighizuwa is better than what we've previously had at the spot (maybe the best since Hatcher's brief time at 3-tech), but I'm not sure that he'll ever be the type of 3-tech you need in this defensive alignment. This is a spot intended in the 4-3 for a game-changer that the rest of the defense feeds off. Osa is not that player. What makes Kansas City's defense go is Chris Jones in that role. What made the Rams' defense formidable their Super Bowl years was Aaron Donald in that role. Even Philly's defense during its Super Bowl years was keyed by having players like Fletcher Cox/Javon Hargrave keying it as that interior presence. Maybe Osa can continue to progress, but right now, he's inferior to those players. If we want to know why our defense struggles in the playoffs year after year, this is the first place you look.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm a linebacker man. This group is filled with real linebackers and deep in what they want ... hitters.
This is even shown here:

How He Got Here: Mogensen spent six years at South Dakota, becoming one of the top defensive players, not only in school history, but in the entire FCS. Mogensen earned MVFC (Missouri Valley Football Conference) As the team captain, he earned four different All-American selections last year and finished 11th in the Buck Buchanan voting for the nation's top defensive player. He had 113 tackles, which also ranked 15th nationally. Over his time at USD, Mogensen played five seasons as the school didn't play any games during 2020. He finished just one tackle shy of the 400-tackle mark, finishing his career with 399.

What's Next: Last year, the Cowboys saw a fullback from North Dakota State make the roster as an undrafted free agent. Mogensen is trying to do the same from South Dakota. The difference for Mogensen is that he joins a linebacker group that certainly needed to improve from last year. He'll have to compete with other youngsters such as DeMarvion Overshown and Marist Liafau, but the production Mogensen showed in his career means he's a good tackler. That kind of ability must show out on special teams, where rookie linebackers often shine the most.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/role-call-mogensen-adds-production-experience

Special team time on field, first.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Odighizuwa is better than what we've previously had at the spot (maybe the best since Hatcher's brief time at 3-tech), but I'm not sure that he'll ever be the type of 3-tech you need in this defensive alignment. This is a spot intended in the 4-3 for a game-changer that the rest of the defense feeds off. Osa is not that player. What makes Kansas City's defense go is Chris Jones in that role. What made the Rams' defense formidable their Super Bowl years was Aaron Donald in that role. Even Philly's defense during its Super Bowl years was keyed by having players like Fletcher Cox/Javon Hargrave keying it as that interior presence. Maybe Osa can continue to progress, but right now, he's inferior to those players. If we want to know why our defense struggles in the playoffs year after year, this is the first place you look.
I doubt Bill Parcells would have been disappointed in him on his team after 3 seasons.

Straight up, does Dallas yet have a Lawrence Taylor yet in Parsons.

Lawrence and Parsons are high cotton as are the fields in South Texas right now. I like growth potentials of both Odighizuwa and Mazwi, myself.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I doubt Bill Parcells would have been disappointed in him on his team after 3 seasons.

Straight up, does Dallas yet have a Lawrence Taylor yet in Parsons.

Lawrence and Parsons are high cotton as are the fields in South Texas right now. I like growth potentials of both Odighizuwa and Mazwi, myself.
He would have been playing 3-4 DE for Parcells, so no, he wouldn't have been disappointed.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas does develop well within roster...

From being a 5th round pick in 2022 To being AP-First Team in 2023-24’, DaRon Bland will team with Trevon Diggs for what could well be the best NFL pair of cornerbacks. Relevant along with other changes. Diggs was drafted in the second round. Talent evaluations in team and developments?

CCBoy

Reaction score
He would have been playing 3-4 DE for Parcells, so no, he wouldn't have been disappointed.
Uh, he was drafted to fill the slot at linebacker and developed from that point....(coughing) LT yet? Answer the statement...and joined implications applied elsewhere.

While Diggs and Bland have played ten games together, 2024 will mark the first time that the two will play across from each other on the outside, with Jourdan Lewis or Caelen Carson likely playing at nickel. The Cowboys defense will undoubtedly be a nightmare for opposing quarterbacks this season. Regardless of what side of the field the ball is thrown to, it will be thrown in the direction of arguably the best ball-hawk in the league. To make it even more intimidating, Micah Parsons will be breathing down the quarterback’s neck in the backfield.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...nerback-2024-slot-jourdan-lewis-caelen-carson

Start taking looks at strengths being developed...not players to pick and start blaming.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Dallas does develop well within roster...

From being a 5th round pick in 2022 To being AP-First Team in 2023-24’, DaRon Bland will team with Trevon Diggs for what could well be the best NFL pair of cornerbacks. Relevant along with other changes. Diggs was drafted in the second round. Talent evaluations in team and developments?
It is not a common thing for the boys unlike what you are trying to say
the vast majority of our impact players were drafted earlier.

and where is all this development on the DL?

CCBoy

Reaction score
It is not a common thing for the boys unlike what you are trying to say
the vast majority of our impact players were drafted earlier.

and where is all this development on the DL?
A couple wannabe leaders?...blame on.

While Diggs and Bland have played ten games together, 2024 will mark the first time that the two will play across from each other on the outside, with Jourdan Lewis or Caelen Carson likely playing at nickel. The Cowboys defense will undoubtedly be a nightmare for opposing quarterbacks this season. Regardless of what side of the field the ball is thrown to, it will be thrown in the direction of arguably the best ball-hawk in the league. To make it even more intimidating, Micah Parsons will be breathing down the quarterback’s neck in the backfield.

Over the last three seasons, Osa Odighizuwa has gone from a third-round pick to one of the top players on the Cowboys’ defense.

You merely stick to pick a person and blame...all the above was lost on yourself. Good night and don't even try to bore me further.