Sounds like Mazi could be in a better place this year

deerhunter11

Reaction score
If he can’t and Quinn couldn’t then the writing is on the wall. I do think this scheme fits him better. I think Quinn thought they could make a pass rusher out of him because he is a freak athlete but that’s just not his game
Was Mazi a dominating DT at Michigan.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
The comment that stood out to me is, "I know what I am supposed to do this year."

You know about read react 2 gap techniques. That is what Michigan had him do a lot. His pass rush was to convert to a bull rush.

Last year he was given completely different keys and techniques. Playing off the shoulder and jumping gaps. They are significantly different techniques akin to man vs zone coverage or rush schemes.

What bothers me is Mazi didn't fit last year's scheme. When DQ first got here he brought in guys who could 2 gap so he could 2 gap the strong side like Urban. Gholston, and Watkins. Then proceeded to use barely use them or the technique.

I suspect the defense is going to put a lot more emphasis on the DL working and gap discipline as a unit as opposed to the FFA of before. I am VERY interested to see how it works out starting next week.
Very well said , Mazy may just fit Zimmers defense , better than Quinns .

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yes, I evaluated him last year. Slow off the ball, high pad level, got pushed around like on roller skates. And you think that new leadership makes him faster and stronger?
Not to you, you just look for someone to blame. He was very strong starting out and probably returned through workouts to his entry level strength. Not everyone else is excuse burdened and has seen men developed and hardened to forged in fire. His job will again be to fill and smash.

Take your house of blame talk to someone else. I trained new soldiers to become tankers in service. He won't have a problem in growing with his talent and the current group he is with and the coaches to work him.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The comment that stood out to me is, "I know what I am supposed to do this year."

You know about read react 2 gap techniques. That is what Michigan had him do a lot. His pass rush was to convert to a bull rush.

Last year he was given completely different keys and techniques. Playing off the shoulder and jumping gaps. They are significantly different techniques akin to man vs zone coverage or rush schemes.

What bothers me is Mazi didn't fit last year's scheme. When DQ first got here he brought in guys who could 2 gap so he could 2 gap the strong side like Urban. Gholston, and Watkins. Then proceeded to use barely use them or the technique.

I suspect the defense is going to put a lot more emphasis on the DL working and gap discipline as a unit as opposed to the FFA of before. I am VERY interested to see how it works out starting next week.
That would seem logical with Zimmer being brought in. I believe Quinn saw Urban, Golston and Watkins as 5-techs for his 5-2 run fronts. They had other positions on the line they could play, but I think that was their initial value with Quinn.

I think with Mazi that he saw a powerful athlete who had 3-tech athletic ability, so he wanted him to play 3-tech to Hankins 1-tech, especially on early downs. I'm assuming that he thought he could fix Mazi's late get-off. I understand why he did what he did, but coaches can be too quick to try to make a player something he hasn't been. Sometimes it works, but often their heads are swimming.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only progress has been his increasing weight. I watched the guy be a complete non-factor last year, including in the preseason playing against guys no longer in the league. I can't beleive there is any step-level progress that is going to turn this guy into the DL we need. At best, he's a rotational peice.
If that is the only progress you think he's made, then you must have missed all reporting and articles about him.

We now know why he was a non-factor last year. That's on the coaching staff.

I have no idea how you come to the conclusion how he is a rotational piece at best. That is doing some serious jumping to conclusions.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

GREAT post.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
That would seem logical with Zimmer being brought in. I believe Quinn saw Urban, Golston and Watkins as 5-techs for his 5-2 run fronts. They had other positions on the line they could play, but I think that was their initial value with Quinn.

I think with Mazi that he saw a powerful athlete who had 3-tech athletic ability, so he wanted him to play 3-tech to Hankins 1-tech, especially on early downs. I'm assuming that he thought he could fix Mazi's late get-off. I understand why he did what he did, but coaches can be too quick to try to make a player something he hasn't been. Sometimes it works, but often their heads are swimming.
Sure that is fair. it just seems that Mazi didn't get the message or rather any message on how to make it work.

Could be that Mazi is a slow learner, nothing wrong with that particularly coupled with hard work, or any number of things.

Point is things have changed significantly. The LB have been upgraded. We just need Mazi to step up.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Sure that is fair. it just seems that Mazi didn't get the message or rather any message on how to make it work.

Could be that Mazi is a slow learner, nothing wrong with that particularly coupled with hard work, or any number of things.

Point is things have changed significantly. The LB have been upgraded. We just need Mazi to step up.
He’s too slow.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Sure: blow up the C and give easy lanes for the LB and make it unguardable on drop backs.

You are talking about a blitz look that Zimm likes to use. That does not mean the nose tackle disappears.
Or, Mazi (or any of the NT’s) could line up directly over the C during the Double A Gap Blitz.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
If that is the only progress you think he's made, then you must have missed all reporting and articles about him.

We now know why he was a non-factor last year. That's on the coaching staff.

I have no idea how you come to the conclusion how he is a rotational piece at best. That is doing some serious jumping to conclusions.
Apparently, I have missed it. What proof is there of any other progress in an offseason with zero live play? Because he said he now knows what to do? He couldn't figure that out last year after a lifetime of playing the sport? As a first rd draft pick he couldn't line up against a guy and simply win a battle?

gtb1943

Reaction score
apparently NFL teams during the season weigh their players weekly
I have seen a couple of articles claim this and it makes sense
so the idea that the staff DID NOT KNOW he was losing weight does not track