Twitter: Sounds like the Malik Hooker deal is done

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Not necessarily. Teams are always looking to upgrade at every position. Kazee is one of Quinn's guys. Nobody thought Amari Cooper and Michael Gallup were in danger when the Cowboys drafted CeeDee Lamb last year, for example.

Signing Hooker, who was once a top 15 pick and is still just 25 years old, is worth the Cowboys' time. It's great to see Dallas actually pouring resources into the safety position after years of neglect.
You do realize Michael Gallup will be a cap casualty

Dre11

Reaction score
For his plays, Kazee has always been a so-so FS when healthy. He isnt even a natural FS, he is a CB. He doesnt have great range so he is somewhat limited even when healthy. Hooker is a much better S than Kazee is, its just his injury history is terrifying

2018 the dude had 7 interceptions that led the league, and 10 pbu's? I say he's been better or looked just as good as Hooker

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ld-be-critical-to-the-cowboys-defense-success

Dre11

Reaction score
Broaddus been talkin about how poor the safeties have looked. I expect the safeties to be hooker and wilson come game 1. I would mind that happening with kazee and my moms cuz my mom is 60 and her husband is broke. Def a come up

Broaddus isn't the only one at camp, I heard what Broaddus said and he didn't say they were bad. Hooker was always in the plans as Mike said, they were just waiting for him to improve with his rehab.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Broaddus isn't the only one at camp, I heard what Broaddus said and he didn't say they were bad. Hooker was always in the plans as Mike said, they were just waiting for him to improve with his rehab.
Mike who??? Mccarthy?

Dre11

Reaction score
Mike who??? Mccarthy?

Yes, the feeling is they wanted both in the beginning. Hooker physical was the issue then. I love the signing and he could win the job(wouldn't be mad) but Kazee has been very productive as a starter at FS

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Yes, the feeling is they wanted both in the beginning. Hooker physical was the issue then. I love the signing and he could win the job(wouldn't be mad) but Kazee has been very productive as a starter at FS
My cousins fiancee is a huge falcons fan he wasnt upset that kazee left. He had mixed feelings. He watches every snap. He also works in tv doing replays.

Dre11

Reaction score
The problem is these guys wouldnt start for any other team. Just because they are starters doesnt mean they are actually talented. The fact Quinn brought in Kazee and is already is looking elsewhere does not bode well for Kazee

Kazee led the league in int in 2018 as a free safety...lol not a starter? 2019 he had 3, 2020 he was hurt.

Dre11

Reaction score
My cousins fiancee is a huge falcons fan he wasnt upset that kazee left. He had mixed feelings. He watches every snap. He also works in tv doing replays.

that means nothing my guy, whether he liked him or not you can't argue the production.

I know Raiders fans who weren't mad Cooper was traded too.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
What could be going on in camp evaluation on the current safeties that could have Cowboys concerned about the safety position to risk signing an injury prone Hooker ?

Are they not liking what they are seeing in Kazee or even Wilson as possible starters, or is it that adding Hooker in hoping he becomes a starter, you can have Kazee as a suitable backup ?
I was already concerned about not only Kazee’s recovery, but worried about the lack of depth behind the starting safeties ..period.

Cowboys were always interested in Hooker and may have signed him earlier too but medical was a concern. Internally I'm not sure the coaching staff is sold on Wilson and with Kazee coming off injury they have Thompson and Kearse with starting experience. Then you have rookies Israel and Coyle. If Hooker is signed I would think him, Wilson, and Kazee are the top 3. Then you have Thompson, Kearse, and Israel competing for 1 spot, maybe 2. It's crowded at CB too and likely go heavier between CB/S with 10 total.

I don't think there's anything they could have derived from a couple days of practice, but more about bringing in competition with a talented guy.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not necessarily. Teams are always looking to upgrade at every position. Kazee is one of Quinn's guys. Nobody thought Amari Cooper and Michael Gallup were in danger when the Cowboys drafted CeeDee Lamb last year, for example.

Signing Hooker, who was once a top 15 pick and is still just 25 years old, is worth the Cowboys' time. It's great to see Dallas actually pouring resources into the safety position after years of neglect.

Eh, you're talking about two cheap 1 year deals on damaged goods and a 6th round draft pick.

I wouldn't call that pouring resources into the position.

Dre11

Reaction score
2018 is a very long time ago in production based occupations jus sayin

it is, but Hooker is dealing with the same and he hasn't been as productive. again, I think it's a good thing having both.

John813

Reaction score
Better than the days of signing George Iloka and then hoping and praying with him, Heath, and whoever else was on the roster.

My expectations are low, but at least they weren't one and done at safety. More like 2.5 and done

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Not "done" but going to happen. Even if not fully recovered from his Achilles injury, they could stash him on the pup list and allow him time to get into prime playing condition then activate him mid-season.