Twitter: Sounds like Tyron will be back

Rayman70

Reaction score
yes, lets play make believe and pretend Tyron will help us. Makes sense. "cant have enough of those guys." "Give us your oft injured and tired." Thats Dallas' motto.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I can't like this comment enough.

It is absolutely foolish to kick Tyron to the curb if he wants to compete for a job. You draft to bring in young talent that makes your current players obsolete.

The business of a successful football team is to acquire, retain and mould talent and ability. Not to throw it out like yesterday's trash.

If Tyron Smith is not with the Cowboys it should be because he was beaten out by (7) other lineman who are better than he is, his body can't take it no longer or he has been traded away for good quality draft picks.
Tyron is used all up and the tread is gone. Keeping him is whats foolish.We never understand when its time to move on.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Smith Smith Biadasz Martin Steele

Tyler playing LG. That is probably your starting OL this year.

Zero depth though.
Prefer to keep Tyler at LT. He is growing into the position nicely, and a move to LG could hinder his development. He is the LT of the future, and with Tyron’s injury history, the future really is now. The future LG of the team is not on the team yet.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think it's the right move. You can gain cap space elsewhere.
I agree. We never saw the lineup with him and Tyler on the same side actualized. And we may never see it, but I think it's worth the risk. We would have seen it this year for the last part of the season and playoffs if Steele hadn't gotten hurt.

Still means we need a solid backup option at guard (since I'd assume McGovern will leave rather than be a backup) unless, of course, Waletzko becomes a solid backup option at tackle ... which we won't know until camp at least.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
My only problem is moving Tyler back inside to accommodate Tyrone after he had such a strong season at LT.
I don't think it's a problem. You've got players like Larry Allen and Zach Martin who improve your team no matter where they line up. Tyler seems like he can be the same type of player. Let him bide his time at guard until Tyron calls it quits or just isn't able to go anymore.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Give us your tired, beaten down, and downtrodden...Never fear, Cap Boy has this.

rambo2

Reaction score
The league is running out of linemen with the 17 game schedule and the playoff teams playing 18 to 20 games. They are holding camps in Africa to try and bring more linemen into the league.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Cutting Tyron post June 1 saves the team 13 million next season. He’s gone unless he agrees to a far lower cap number…much like Zeke.

Neither of those guys can get anything significant in free agency. Zeke is washed and Tyron is hurt half the time. I think we’ll see both guys sign 2 year deals for 5-7 million per after the team rips up their current deals.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Tyron is used all up and the tread is gone. Keeping him is whats foolish.We never understand when its time to move on.
Totally agree! He is also counting 17 mil against the cap. His availability has been a issue and when he is available he isn't the same dominant player he was. He also gets more holding penalties. I hate how this front office doesn't know how to show players the front door to the building. Lawrence is going to be counting 26 mil against the cap too. Another guy who isn't great but isn't terrible but not worth his contract.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
He’s almost certainly going to miss time. I guess if the Jones boys are okay with that, it doesn’t matter what any of us think.

Sydla

Reaction score
Hope Broderick Jones slides in draft. Take him at 26.

Jones played RT, Tyron plays LT, Tyler plays LG. Mauling OL.

When Tyron eventually gets hurt again, Steele could be back and now you have pieces to move around and still field a good OL.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Totally agree! He is also counting 17 mil against the cap. His availability has been a issue and when he is available he isn't the same dominant player he was. He also gets more holding penalties. I hate how this front office doesn't know how to show players the front door to the building. Lawrence is going to be counting 26 mil against the cap too. Another guy who isn't great but isn't terrible but not worth his contract.
agree. The cap hit alone is crazy. We can easily replace that cheaper.

DanA

Reaction score
Tyron’s contract isn’t guaranteed. He can be cut anytime before the 53 man roster is confirmed in like September. A post June 1st cut is actually better for us so why not keep Tyron for training camp and see where we are at with the offensive line. There’s no need to make a decision in March.

tm1119

Reaction score
Gotta rework the deal but yeah Tyron would be a great insurance option to keep around.

If I’m not mistaken we still owe Tyron $8M guaranteed even if cut? I’d see if he is open to rework his deal to a 2 year deal lowering his cap hit this year by 6 or 7 million but giving him an extra 2-3 million guaranteed to retire with.
Something like 2years/20M with 12M guaranteed. Guarantee him 10 mil for 2023 and then have the decision in 2024 to cut him and eat $2M or he continues to play and he makes another $10M.