Twitter: Sounds like Tyron will be back

conner01

Reaction score
I think it's the right move. You can gain cap space elsewhere.
Depending on Steele it may be a really important move. Steele may not be ready early and it’s not like we have any other proven swing tackle either

conner01

Reaction score
Gotta rework the deal but yeah Tyron would be a great insurance option to keep around.

If I’m not mistaken we still owe Tyron $8M guaranteed even if cut? I’d see if he is open to rework his deal to a 2 year deal lowering his cap hit this year by 6 or 7 million but giving him an extra 2-3 million guaranteed to retire with.
Something like 2years/20M with 12M guaranteed. Guarantee him 10 mil for 2023 and then have the decision in 2024 to cut him and eat $2M or he continues to play and he makes another $10M.
He has no guaranteed money left on his contract. He has restructure charges of 8 mil over next two years but he’s already got that money and it counts either way. No reason to redo his deal

tm1119

Reaction score
He has no guaranteed money left on his contract. He has restructure charges of 8 mil over next two years but he’s already got that money and it counts either way. No reason to redo his deal
Of course there is a reason to redo his deal…he can’t be on the roster and account for a $17M cap hit. It’s either cut or redo his deal. There shouldn’t be another option.

conner01

Reaction score
Of course there is a reason to redo his deal…he can’t be on the roster and account for a $17M cap hit. It’s either cut or redo his deal. There shouldn’t be another option.
He’s gonna count the 4 mil either way. You could lower his base by adding time but then you are paying him after he retires
Why push it into the future when it hit just when you have lamb, Diggs and others to sign?
He’s not gonna just cut his base salary because it’s the last year of a very team friendly deal and he has never ask for a new deal. Not many players would have played out their entire career on a team friendly deal. Not much other option than extend him since it’s his last year

TheCritic

Reaction score
Sorry, paying 17 million for a declining player that can't stay healthy is just stupid. No other team would be dumb enough to pay that kind of money for such a high risk player. I put TS in the same category as Zeke, the category of TIME TO MOVE ON!!

Big_D

Reaction score
Sorry, paying 17 million for a declining player that can't stay healthy is just stupid. No other team would be dumb enough to pay that kind of money for such a high risk player. I put TS in the same category as Zeke, the category of TIME TO MOVE ON!!
This team never knows when to move on. It's weird. The guy plays 5 games a year and that 17 mil is a steal? lol

DanA

Reaction score
Gotta rework the deal but yeah Tyron would be a great insurance option to keep around.

If I’m not mistaken we still owe Tyron $8M guaranteed even if cut? I’d see if he is open to rework his deal to a 2 year deal lowering his cap hit this year by 6 or 7 million but giving him an extra 2-3 million guaranteed to retire with.
Something like 2years/20M with 12M guaranteed. Guarantee him 10 mil for 2023 and then have the decision in 2024 to cut him and eat $2M or he continues to play and he makes another $10M.
We don't owe Tyron 8m, it's been paid upfront, the only thing to be decided is how it counts against the salary cap. Really we have four options:
  1. Cut him now (8m cap hit in 2023)
  2. Cut him post-June 1st (4m cap hit in 2023 and 4m cap hit in 2024)
  3. Keep him on his current deal (13.6m base salary for 2023, plus 4m cap hit in 2023 and 2024)
  4. Rework his deal
  • Option 1 isn't really a big problem as there are other ways to shuffle when money counts against the cap but it is dead money to absorb
  • Option 2 is perhaps marginally better because it keeps the dead money spread over two years. The downside is that his base salary (13.6m) can't be spent until he's cut.
  • Option 3 I'm not a fan of, it feels a bit rich to pay 13.6m if he's not starting, and even if he does start, would that 13.6m be better spent elsewhere running with Tyler Smith and Steele at tackle?
  • Option 4 is obviously the best for the Cowboys in theory but it's hard to see Tyron going for it unless he's determined to stay. With how hard it is to find tackles, Tyron probably gets close to that 13.6m starting and could be attractive to a team like Bengals who need at tackle and have the Frank Pollard link

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I don’t understand the complaints about Tyron returning. Yes he will get injured again probably but I am not sure we make the playoffs without him last season when Steele went down. Tyron, Tyler, Baidz, Martin and Steele is a top 5 offensive line. Hopefully Welesko develops into a good swing tackle, and Farnoik is a solid interior backup. Draft a good guard/tackle prospect without wasting a first round pick would make us even better. The key to the line is reps together.

Robster8989

Reaction score
I think it's the right move. You can gain cap space elsewhere.
I respectfully disagree, and Tyron is one of my favorite all time Cowboys.
When asked about why we dumped Cooper, Jerry said it was because the production did not match the contract.
In theory, that is wise. (what Jerry didn't grasp with Coop was that he was productive and his contract would become mainstream. I think this year he won't even be top 20 in WR comp, and he's always been willing to redo his deal to make space, like he did in Cleveland)

If Jerry applied that to Coop, he certainly needs to apply it to both Tyron and Zeke.
I love Tyron, but the dude cannot stay on the field. We have Tyler Smith and Steele at T.
Sign Peters as the swing, keep developing Waletzko and Ball, and use the 14 mil from releasing Tyron to keep younger players (Like Pollard, Steele, Wilson etc).

I'd draft Torrence if he is there, put him next to Tyler Smith on the left side, and you have a potential Shell/Upshaw for the next decade.
With Zach/Steele on the right, run the ball, make Dak a west coast QB with quick hits to make it easier for him.
Cutting Zeke and Tyron saves opens almost 25 mil in cap space. We need that money to spend on players who produce.
Hard for me to say, because as I said, I LOVE the dude, but we just can't count on him to stay on the field.

fivetwos

Reaction score
We don't owe Tyron 8m, it's been paid upfront, the only thing to be decided is how it counts against the salary cap. Really we have four options:
  1. Cut him now (8m cap hit in 2023)
  2. Cut him post-June 1st (4m cap hit in 2023 and 4m cap hit in 2024)
  3. Keep him on his current deal (13.6m base salary for 2023, plus 4m cap hit in 2023 and 2024)
  4. Rework his deal
  • Option 1 isn't really a big problem as there are other ways to shuffle when money counts against the cap but it is dead money to absorb
  • Option 2 is perhaps marginally better because it keeps the dead money spread over two years. The downside is that his base salary (13.6m) can't be spent until he's cut.
  • Option 3 I'm not a fan of, it feels a bit rich to pay 13.6m if he's not starting, and even if he does start, would that 13.6m be better spent elsewhere running with Tyler Smith and Steele at tackle?
  • Option 4 is obviously the best for the Cowboys in theory but it's hard to see Tyron going for it unless he's determined to stay. With how hard it is to find tackles, Tyron probably gets close to that 13.6m starting and could be attractive to a team like Bengals who need at tackle and have the Frank Pollard link
I find myself comparing Tyron to Trent Williams, who I figured was cooked when SF dealt for him. Not so much.

I also think it’s a good thing for 2023 that Tyron missed most of 2022. His body ought to be that much more ready to go.

Yes it’s difficult to count on him to stay healthy, but much like I don’t want to see Pollard leave before being used correctly in the pass game, I don’t want to miss at least one season of Tyron and Tyler next to each other. Paired with Martin and Steele on the other side….now we can have the run game our HC speaks of.

I’d roll the dice on Tyron Smith. If you can restructure him or whatever, great, but he has been team friendly since day one.

Rayman70

Reaction score
OBJ on the way. Maybe Wagner too. YUCK
I can handle Wagner because he just had maybe his best year&Its a big need... and he will be cheap, but signing a guy that has all this baggage and hasnt done much in years is baffling to me(Beckham). plus the price tag is high. I just think it looks desperate.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

When the Cowboys say they expect Tyron Smith to play next year here, go ahead and pencil him in for about 4-6 games. He’s missed about 45 games since 2015.

It’s sad because between 2011-18, TS was the best football player on this team. He’s one of the most dominant OL to ever wear the Star. But now- sadly- Tyron Smith has become the most expensive part time player in the league. I’m of the opinion we need to move on.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
We have way too many holes in this team to cut one of our better players even if hes around half the time.

DanA

Reaction score
We have way too many holes in this team to cut one of our better players even if hes around half the time.
This makes no sense. There’s an opportunity cost, if you spend 13.5m on Tyron’s base salary you can’t fix a hole spending it on someone else, someone you can rely on to be available every week.