Sources: Hopkins would welcome trade to Cowboys; willing to make financial concessions

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Each draft is different but the guys most likely to be there at 26 aren’t the impact guys right away types to me
Anything can happen but this draft I don’t see a stud sliding to 26
I agree. Maybe a lineman... maybe that RB. Maybe a TE that I don't think we need, but that's about it.

HanD

Reaction score
No he wasn't. so a guy with 865 yards was the top dog over a WR with 1100? lol Dude was a clown and not worth the money and the Browns did them a favor.
Ceedee was close to him but ceedee played in the slot and coop drew most of the double coverages from what I recall. Numbers alone don't tell that story because I remember articles and posters questioning if ceedee could be a true number 1 without coop.

HanD

Reaction score
More that what Hopkins has put up either of the last 2 seasons and Cooper was playing through a knee sprain and a foot issue I believe!
Look at the number of games played for those numbers.

exciter

Reaction score
The perception that they would be interested in moving him has been out there for a while. Perhaps its false but it's more than a drunk at the bar. https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/why-cardinals-wr-deandre-hopkins-paying-attention-trade-rumors#:~:text=Hopkins is still under contract,cut him to save cash.

Why do the Cardinals want to trade DeAndre Hopkins?

Hopkins is still under contract for two more seasons, and is set to carry a $30.75 million cap hit in 2023 and a $26.2 million hit in 2024. Some believe trade rumors for Hopkins are a last ditch effort for the Cardinals to recoup some value for the wide receiver, and they may cut him to save cash.
All of the source's have been tweets so far. The only somewhat legitimate report I’ve seen basically alluded that it was tweet generated nonsense. Hopkins dead cap hit this season is pushing 22m, the savings from trading him would be around 8m…14m loss. They’d be better off just releasing him and designating June 1st. Next year his dead money would be 10m. I don’t see much incentive for trading him unless it’s for a king’s ransom!

HanD

Reaction score
At least Cooper played through injury???
I'm not picking either dhop or coop over each other. I didn't think we should have dumped coop for a 5th and I would want dhop here as the second wr.

exciter

Reaction score
I'm not picking either dhop or coop over each other. I didn't think we should have dumped coop for a 5th and I would want dhop here as the second wr.
I wasn’t really happy about trading him… but it was either him or Armstrong, Fowler, Kearse and Vander Esch etc. Hopkins has missed 14 games the last 2 seasons. His ypc was around 11 last season which is about 2 yards under his career’s average. He’s 30 and clearly looks to be in the decline many receivers hit around his age!

irishline

Reaction score
He put up 865 yards in his last year here. lol That's real value!

And OBJ put up 856 yards his last two seasons in the league combined. That's real value I guess!?!? (For $22 million)

Please note that would be the last two seasons he played in, really it's 856 yards over the last three seasons combined.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
All of the source's have been tweets so far. The only somewhat legitimate report I’ve seen basically alluded that it was tweet generated nonsense. Hopkins dead cap hit this season is pushing 22m, the savings from trading him would be around 8m…14m loss. They’d be better off just releasing him and designating June 1st. Next year his dead money would be 10m. I don’t see much incentive for trading him unless it’s for a king’s ransom!
I literally posted an article from NBC Sports. Did you read the article? It has Hopkins own comments.

Cap isn't the same as cash though. They have to pay him cash to keep him.

The implication is that the Cardinals know they aren't going to be contenders. Getting large cap hits off their books over the next few years while relying on draft to replenish and saving the cash. It's good business and good team building when you are in a rebuilding phase. Then you are potentially set up to be aggressive when you think your core is ready.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Not going to have to give up a draft pick or two for OBJ. He’s a free agent. If Hopkins was a free agent I would rather have him but I don’t care to give up a premium draft pick for him.
We own every other draft pick moving forward over the next several years. This isn’t mortgaging the future- this isn’t throwing picks away recklessly.

You’re taking about 1 premium draft pick out of how many that we own over the next years of drafts….no offense to you but gimme a break

conner01

Reaction score
I agree. Maybe a lineman... maybe that RB. Maybe a TE that I don't think we need, but that's about it.
If I was betting money today I’d say a guard will be 26
But things can change and you get someone falling like Lamb did and it can change everythibg

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Jerry will not do it…he’ll make a move for a lesser player instead of Hopkins for lesser draft compensation and hopefully it’s a pleasant surprise. I’m not advocating for the Ramsey deal but this is what the cowboys do- you want Ramsey? (I didn’t) you’ll get Gilmore ( a great addition actually in this case)

You want Hopkins who wants to come here? Hello Brandin cooks ( not knocking him he’s a good player) but it’s like Xmas shopping with the cheap uncle. You’ll get something but not exactly what you wanted. Looking for a benz? Here’s your brand new Toyota (great cars btw have had many)

Half measures.