Spagnola, Jerry doubles down in the war room

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Jerry loves you so much. You're the ultimate fan. You might be whining the whole time you're on that pole, but you still on that pole. 12 months out of the year. You're a like a stripper who complains about the men who come give you money. Yet here you are grinding that pole. Jerry throwing money at you all year. He loves you. Jerry's little whiny stripper. :laugh:
:laugh:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-jerry-doubles-down-in-the-war-room

Spags' notes from the draft. Good right up on how the Deuce Vaughn pick went down in the war room.
They huddled and decided to go with Vaughn, as he was the top of the board of the last players left. While his dad was out of the room.
Then told him when he came back in. He did not advocate to draft his son. Just let it play out.

TThis is what McClay said about drafts. As to picking later in the draft.

"It's the penalty of being good," said Will McClay, the Cowboys vice president of player personnel. "You set your board, and everybody has guys they like and think they can add value to (the team). But we don't control that. We control our board and what we think about the next guy that's up there.
"It is what it is. There is nothing you can do about it."

More fans need to understand this better IMO.
Gee… how nice of them to finally pick a RB with the starter not guaranteed with injuries and Zeke having no gas left in the tank. :angry:

zekecowboy

Reaction score
Back to back 12-5 season, went a game further in the playoffs. That is improvement, and in MM's 3rd year. And yes, remove his 1st year with Dak being injured.
That is far more than Garrett did. Which is Jerry's stupidity there.
How many playoff games has Dallas won?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Back to back 12-5 season, went a game further in the playoffs. That is improvement, and in MM's 3rd year. And yes, remove his 1st year with Dak being injured.
That is far more than Garrett did. Which is Jerry's stupidity there.
actually MM has not done more.
He lost in WC round and Div round, he has only won 1 WC game. JG did more than that.
They both did not get past div round.
Mike did have back to back winning seasons. JG did not, but JG was in 1 div round games, mike only 1.
And if your going to excuse mike for the season dak got hurt, what about when romo got hurt??

So far mike has not outdone JG in results dept.

It is relatively easy to get in playoffs now days with 3 WC teams, so getting in isnt that big of a deal.
it is what the team does in playoffs that matters.

Tommy

Reaction score
What if your car said I'm going to break down on you every single year for 30 years but you should be happy that I work sometimes?

This is your logic, ya know?
Then you get rid of the car and move on with your life.

But yet, here you are on CowboysZone talking about your favorite team every day.

75boyz

Reaction score
He lost in WC round and Div round, he has only won 1 WC game. JG did more than that.
Mike did have back to back winning seasons. JG did not, but JG was in 1 div round games, mike only 1.
And if your going to excuse mike for the season dak got hurt, what about when romo got hurt??

It is relatively easy to get in playoffs now days with 3 WC teams, so getting in isnt that big of a deal.
I made this exact same case to the mod here (and I am not by any means a Garrett supporter) and was told "whatever." I compared the 2014-2016 Garrett window to the 2020-2022 McCarthy window.

It's certainly a topic here that has varying opinion levels on what is and isnt improvement, lol.

I'm a bottom line guy myself.
The end results have been no better.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

MM was in 1 division round game in 2 years, removing Dak's injured year, Garrett in 1 division round game in 8 years removing 2 Tony injured years.
That is doing more.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I made this exact same case to the mod here (and I am not by any means a Garrett supporter) and was told "whatever." I compared the 2014-2016 Garrett window to the 2020-2022 McCarthy window.

It's certainly a topic here that has varying opinion levels on what is and isnt improvement, lol.

I'm a bottom line guy myself.
The end results have been no better.
exactly, plus mike has at times made jason look like a good game mgr, lol when it comes to time mgmt, special plays, going for it on 4th at stupid times.
I still think linehan did better than kellen, and now mike is basically OC, and maybe he will be good maybe not.
I do think it is bad for a HC to call plays, as when they do that , they have no time to focus on the game and all the things happening.

I wonder how many HC's that call plays, have won SB's?? I guess andy at KC is actual playcaller, and McVay with rams are 2.

J-man

Reaction score
The draft didn’t fall the way they hoped it would imo. I think they wanted Kincaid in round 1 and probably would have gone OL in round 2 in that instance. Buffalo trading up forced us to focus on the trenches in round 1 which may work out for us.
reports say LePorta was #1 TE on the board for them

DandyDon52

Reaction score
MM was in 1 division round game in 2 years, removing Dak's injured year, Garrett in 1 division round game in 8 years removing 2 Tony injured years.
That is doing more.
JG was in 3 div rounds and lost, with 2 wc wins, mike 1 div round loss and 1 wc win. So mike hasnt outdone JG yet
and if he loses more div round games than JG that isnt really better, He has to get team past that and to nfc champ game.
Year Record Result
2022 12-5 Lost Divisional Round (Won 1 Round)
2021 12-5 Lost Wild Card Round (Won 0 Rounds)
2020 6-10 Missed Playoffs
------------
2019 8-8 Missed Playoffs
2018 10-6 Lost Divisional Round (Won 1 Round)
2017 9-7 Missed Playoffs
2016 13-3 Lost Divisional Round (Won 0 Rounds)
2015 4-12 Missed Playoffs
2014 12-4 Lost Divisional Round (Won 1 Round)

JG never lost a WC game 2-0 , mike is 1-1 in WC round

75boyz

Reaction score
exactly, plus mike has at times made jason look like a good game mgr, lol when it comes to time mgmt, special plays, going for it on 4th at stupid times.
I still think linehan did better than kellen, and now mike is basically OC, and maybe he will be good maybe not.
I do think it is bad for a HC to call plays, as when they do that , they have no time to focus on the game and all the things happening.

I wonder how many HC's that call plays, have won SB's?? I guess andy at KC is actual playcaller, and McVay with rams are 2.
Yep, agree with all of the above. And I dont care if its a 10 year sampling or a 3. Different team, personnel and circumstances. Payton is another who manages to pull off the dual play caller and HC duties I believe.

And again, I thought Garrett was pretty much a joke. I just thought there would be all this evidence that McCarthy was so much better and like your examples mentioned here, he's been just as embarrassing at times.

It would be a valid point that if you take away Quinn and Moore what exactly is McCarthy's game day influence that contributes to a coaching advantage?Head scratcher right?

I am very curious to see this supposed highly accomplished coach take this ready to compete now roster on a deep playoff run after talking so much offseason ****.

How's the saying go?
If you're gonna talk the talk, you better walk the walk.

Or be fired. Lol

jmo

Last edited:

eromeopolk

Reaction score
If there's nothing you can do about then why did the Eagles have a top 10 pick after playing for a Super Bowl?

It's because they actually try to be better and make deals.

Stop believing the lies.
Arlington Jonesboys draft plan 1997 to present - traded 2 no.1 picks for Joey Galloway WR, passed on 1st round pick Hall of Fame WR Randy Moss, traded no.1 pick for Roy Williams WR, trading out of the 1st round numerous years for nothing of value, traded away the only trade for a WR that worked in 2018 for Amari Cooper and then traded him away for a swap 5th round pick.

The above Arlington Jonesboys draft plan produced no NFC Championship games in 27 years, and 7 NFC East titles in 27 years.

Dallas Cowboys draft plan 1960-1996 - trade 1963 2nd and 9th round pick for Hall of Fame LB and Super Bowl MVP, trade for 1972 1st rounder that became no.1 overall draft pick draft tallest DE in the NFL, trade for 1975 1st round that became top 5 overall pick draft Hall of Fame DT, trade for 1977 top 5 pick draft Hall of Fame RB, trade for 1990, 1991, 1992 1st round picks draft Hall of Fame RB multiple Pro Bowlers and get 3 Super Bowls in 4 years, trade away 1992 2nd and 1993 3rd round for Hall of Fame DE ending career with 5 Super Bowl rings as a starter, trade no.1 1993 pick for 2 starting players in the 2nd round and go to back to back Super Bowls, leave a scout hired by the fired head coach to select 1994 2nd round Hall of Fame OL from Sonoma St.

The above Dallas Cowboys draft plan produced 20 straight non losing seasons, 25 playoff appearances in 36 years, 18 Division titles, 17 NFC Conference Championship games, 9 NFC Championships or Super Bowl/NFL title game appearances, 5 Super Bowl titles

The GM since 1994 cannot be fired.