Spagnola, Jerry doubles down in the war room

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If there's nothing you can do about then why did the Eagles have a top 10 pick after playing for a Super Bowl?

It's because they actually try to be better and make deals.

Stop believing the lies.
He wasn't saying you can't make trades. He was just talking about how the NFL sets the draft order.

Mannix

Reaction score
The draft didn’t fall the way they hoped it would imo. I think they wanted Kincaid in round 1 and probably would have gone OL in round 2 in that instance. Buffalo trading up forced us to focus on the trenches in round 1 which may work out for us.
I was warning for WEEKS that we were gonna see a Goedert Part II play out in the draft due to Booger and Chuckles inability to keep their damn mouths shut, and look what happened....thinking that Dallas "played a fast one" on anybody in the 1st round by floating TE out there when they really wanted a DT all along is laughable.

Mannix

Reaction score
I grew up a Reds fan, still am. They won the WS in 1990 and have not done crap since. I don't pay as much attention to the MLB as much as I used to.
But living in Texas now, and DTV gave me MLB Extra Innings for free this year. So yeah, I am watching a lot of the Reds games, even though I don't expect them to make the playoffs. But they look better than I thought they would. So heck yeah, I will still watch.
Ed Armbrister interfered in 75. :muttley:

Toro9

Reaction score
The draft didn’t fall the way they hoped it would imo. I think they wanted Kincaid in round 1 and probably would have gone OL in round 2 in that instance. Buffalo trading up forced us to focus on the trenches in round 1 which may work out for us.
Quite possibly. I think they reached on the TE but other than that, I'm happy

shabazz

Reaction score
If this was true we would be picking 1st every year.
Oh, they so well enough to see a glimpse of an NFC championship game in the distance but as far as actually reaching it…..not so much

if one is happy with just above average they will love Jerry’s stand pat , no risks methods

CWR

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-jerry-doubles-down-in-the-war-room

Spags' notes from the draft. Good right up on how the Deuce Vaughn pick went down in the war room.
They huddled and decided to go with Vaughn, as he was the top of the board of the last players left. While his dad was out of the room.
Then told him when he came back in. He did not advocate to draft his son. Just let it play out.

This is what McClay said about drafts. As to picking later in the draft.

"It's the penalty of being good," said Will McClay, the Cowboys vice president of player personnel. "You set your board, and everybody has guys they like and think they can add value to (the team). But we don't control that. We control our board and what we think about the next guy that's up there.
"It is what it is. There is nothing you can do about it."

More fans need to understand this better IMO.

That's a half truth though, because we had ammunition to move up. I'm not going to sit here and clown on McClay though. He's been terrific and I trust him. I just don't believe in the way he phrased that.

morat1959

Reaction score
It's not "hate".

I believe you think a lot like I do about this team and some of the players. You just won't come out and say it like I will.

We both know how the upcoming season will end regardless of what was done this offseason. I just don't care to comes out and say it.
There’s only one way out and he needs to be stud. Gonna take a top 3 pick to get one next season. I think we’ve got some nice pieces in place but there’s an elephant in the room.

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
There’s only one way out and he needs to be stud. Gonna take a top 3 pick to get one next season. I think we’ve got some nice pieces in place but there’s an elephant in the room.
Exactly. And to get a top 3 pick, outside of a trade, you need to be bad. As in, blow it up bad. Is that what we want to do?

That was easy to do in '88 when Jimmy Johnson got here, because outside of a few on the roster (Walker, Irvin, Tuinei, Bates, Jeffcoat, Newton)...the team was old and not very talented.

But when you draft in the top 5 in each round, it's easier to let the draft come to you, because teams drafting in the later rounds are reaching because they don't want to lose out on their guy.

Loso86

Reaction score
Guess YOU don't remember that you have to get that pick by trading your dead weight.

The Cowboys would rather double down on theirs.

We're just too smart and good to get better. The past 30 years says so. The Cowboys way is the way. Trust the process.
Still doesn't back up what your initial statement