Spagnola: Trying to Sort Out RB by Committee

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Not just inside the 10 but short yardage in general was tough for the cowboys to run. Pollard just wasn’t the type of back to get those tough grinding yards, despite the cowboys constantly putting him in that position.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I’m intersected in Peat the UDFA out of Missouri . Can he crack this “ all star “ group or is just a PS future .

shabazz

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-trying-to-sort-out-this-committee-thing

Some interesting stats in this article. Shows why Zeke has returned. Because of the run game failure inside the 10 yard line.
He states that RB by committee is the new way of the NFL but I'm not so sure.

Plenty of teams still have one elite RB and a big drop off in depth behind them, ( the Steelers as an exception) but I believe that mostly RB by committee is merely because of lack of talent.....kind of like our current situation.

Rb is one of the positions where you can pay elite talent top money and it won't kill the cap....so why not do it?

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
He states that RB by committee is the new way of the NFL but I'm not so sure.
It has been the "new way" for decades now. Mike Shanhan did it in the 90s the 2000s it was the Patriots. Today several teams do it to varying degrees of success. Kyle Shanahan can do it without McCaffrey as he had done, Mike McDaniels can do it well etc.

The problem is that a dumb coaching staff and inept talent aquisition makes it impossible for a team like the Cowboys to implement it.

Like has been stated over and over you need some talent not your 3rd or 4th choice UDFA RB or a guy who is like a 35 year old aka Elliott, and a few others in that same light.

Cowboys prove from ownership to head talent evaluators and coaches they lack what it takes to have a RBBC so they stick with "one guy" even if it is the wrong guy and fails continuously.

Last edited:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When your RBs get tagged in the backfield because you let a guy go unblocked in your out dated system, Emmitt would be screwed.

shabazz

Reaction score
It has been the "new way" for decades now. Mike Shanhan did it in the 90s the 2000s it was the Patriots. Today several teams do it to varying degrees of success. Brian Shanahan can do it without McCaffrey as he had done, Mike McDaniels can do it well etc.

The problem is that a dumb coaching staff and inept talent aquisition makes it impossible for a team like the Cowboys to implement it.

Like has been stated over and over you need some talent not your 3rd or 4th choice UDFA RB or a guy who is like a 35 year old aka Elliott, and a few others in that same light.

Cowboys prove from ownership to head talent evaluators and coaches they lack what it takes to have a RBBC so they stick with "one guy" even if it is the wrong guy and fails continuously.
Valid examples for sure. The Cowboys have historically been more toward the Cow Bell back method unless that back is slowing down (zekes last years) or with a back that can't go 20+ a game (Pollard)

This current Rb Corp has to be by committee.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Hopefully the infusion of young talent on the OL helps this running game as well as give the 140 million man time for reading the defense and firing away .

doomsday9084

Reaction score
And doing so if for no other reason than his ability to run the ball inside the 10-yard line. Because as Blasko said of Zeke, and this is no surprise to any of us watching every one of his runs during his previous seven seasons in Dallas while gaining 8,262 yards and scoring 68 rushing touchdowns with another 12 receiving:
"He's a can of kick-*** in that department," Blasko said.
Well, the Cowboys certainly needed some 10-yard line in kick-*** last year. The team, on 55 such runs in 2023, gained a total of 90 yards, or an average of just 1.63 yards a carry. And in runs from goal-to-go situations, the Cowboys averaged 1.8 yards a carry, 43 for 79 yards. When it came to touchdowns, Dallas scored 12 of those rushing from no more than 10 yards out.
Maybe more telling than the Cowboys' inability in short-yardage situations near the goal line would be this: Kicker Brandon Aubrey made nine of nine field-goal attempts between 20-29 yards, meaning leaving points on the field from no farther out than the 11-yard line far too often.
There is the relevant quote. IMO, the issue was Schottenheimer and Solari. The run game was too slow in developing. The end result was RB's having to wait for linemen to pull or something and then either running into those linemen or dodging defenders in the backfield.

I see no real evidence that S and S are taking responsibility for run game failure and as such, are going to repeat it. I don't see Zeke fixing this problem.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Zeke only had 3 rushing TDs last season. Oops, there's goes that inside the 10 theory.
Loooooooooooooooool swear these fans think that every player is just going to be the old player that they were. There were so many other options than him (draft/free agency), he's being brought back because he's a fan favorite that's ALL

morasp

Reaction score
Hopefully the infusion of young talent on the OL helps this running game as well as give the 140 million man time for reading the defense and firing away .
+1

It may not happen right away but I'm excited about the all three of the offensive linemen they drafted. I'm not smart enough X's and O's wise but it could be that they are the type of big bodies that fit the new blocking scheme. At a minimum, possibly by mid season, Tyler Smith and Cooper Beebe should be pushing people back.