Spagnola: Trying to Sort Out RB by Committee

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Why did we sign Zeke if he isn't going to be the starter? No other back currently on the team is better.
Until I see differently, I'll believe that Elliott is going to be the lead back, but that we'll try to keep his touches lower than in previous seasons. I'll be surprised if he ends up much under 200 carries. However, I think we understand that at this point in his career, he doesn't need to be carrying the ball 250 to 300 times. Dividing the rest of the carries among Freeman, Dowdle/Vaughn and Luepke should keep Elliott between 10 and 15 per game.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Lions knew how to maximize David Montgomery and Jahmyr Gibbs' talents by meshing their rushing attempts with catching passes out of the backfield. It kept defensive coordinators slightly off-balance whether Detroit would run or pass with both backs. Plus, Gibbs really started to blossom in both areas of attack in the second half of the season.

Using that particular duo as examples of what Dallas might do is reasonably dubious. Will RB1 and RB2 be used in a similar fashion by committee? Are the combo backs' skillsets equal to such utilization? The analogy is not quite as simple in application as Spagnola suggests.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
None of you are right. True Mickey’s a big time homer but the article is very interesting with lots of facts. It’s true that RB by committee can work and be effective. But y’all are just blinded because of agenda’s.
no agenda. if you read my post, I didn't disagree with RB by committee. When you don't have a bell cow then what other choice do you have?
but all those other teams have some talent at RB, not bell cow, but talent, so "Committee"
do we have talent at RB? Zeke as at top of the heap, older, we cut him, he failed in NE, didn't get resigned anywhere else. if that's the best talent we can field, then yeah, that's a RB by committee. walmart outlet committee!

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Be careful

You will be called a hater who probably never played football and needs to watch some Kurt Warner videos to get educated.
:p
Yep, been through many a discussion with that same poster.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Look he doesn't need to be a savior,

Ezekiel Elliot doesn't need to fix the problem as a group with the offensive line is what's going to fix the problem..

like many said above we all saw it Rico dowdle should have been the starting running back when it comes to short yardage and goal line last year, he should have been used more than Pollard. pollard's role was wrong it was 100% wrong and that's why Zeke is back because he can bring you that we're not asking them to be the old Ezekiel Elliott..

we just need a guy that's a tough blocker tough short yardage guy and around the goal line you got to put in the ones that are supposed to be put in Allah almost 900 yards and 12 touchdowns on one leg a washed up Zeke nearly had as good of stats as Tony Pollard who BTW HAS half the mileage on his legs, the man with an utter disappointment and most of it was because he was used wrong ie paid 10 mil claimed he could carry the load.. that was a LIE!

so the case in point, is if you use these players correctly as a group depending on the game and the game plan on who you bring in and how you rotate them we will be a better running team this year but the fact zeke can provide some stability in that role as long as we don't depend on him to be a true number one, he needs to be in a real rotation no preconceived expectations on who you use and how many snaps and carries you give them, you got to just go with the flow of the game and Mike McCarthy just didn't have a handle on that last year I mean I hate to say it but he was worse than Kellen Moore with the run game.

We see lots of teams have little running back by committee in the rotation if they get it right with good blocking schemes bringing in the right groups for the teams you're facing, and the situational football Mike McCarthy just didn't do that well...too many times he forced TP into zekes old role..should have flipped that and used Rico more..
I have no issue with running back by committee. Mickey is right on this one. Most teams platoon.

My concern is the run block scheme. I don't think the O line players were that bad last year individually, hence the high grades and accolades. The issues were scheme and I fear that isn't going to change.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I have no issue with running back by committee. Mickey is right on this one. Most teams platoon.

My concern is the run block scheme. I don't think the O line players were that bad last year individually, hence the high grades and accolades. The issues were scheme and I fear that isn't going to change.
To be honest I didn't read the article but I don't really have to understand the concept and while I'll agree the offensive line needs to do better I think it was more how they were utilized last year..

I think the lines getting blamed for Mike McCarthy using the players in the wrong roles Tony Pollard should not have been the number one guy on short yardage and goal line he should have been in there for a ton of blocking they should have used Rico dowdle and zeke's old role and then they should have brought in Tony the same way he's always been used..

to Add, maybe even run him more on the outside and stop using CD Lamb so much in the backfield, you're going to get his *** hurt I would have used deuce Vaughn in that role and then use Turpin as the number three wide receiver more and special teams ,so you take a little of turpins workload off him for special teams and let him do some of what CD Lamb was doing along with Vaughn as a scat back..

IMHO they were used completely backwards all year long it seems like they were forcing Tony Pollard onto the field because of his franchise tag at $10 million and they just wanted to run him into the ground and that was the wrong concept in my opinion, and I hope they just understand the error in their ways....

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
no agenda. if you read my post, I didn't disagree with RB by committee. When you don't have a bell cow then what other choice do you have?
but all those other teams have some talent at RB, not bell cow, but talent, so "Committee"
do we have talent at RB? Zeke as at top of the heap, older, we cut him, he failed in NE, didn't get resigned anywhere else. if that's the best talent we can field, then yeah, that's a RB by committee. walmart outlet committee!
I’m saying the same thing so not sure why you’re trying to argue. RB by committee can work if you have at least 2 better than average RB’s. The Cowboys currently have none. Currently.

bandfan

Reaction score
If your running game can't consistently get 1-3 yds when needed then follow the money...straight to the OLine...

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
1 Power Back + 1 Speed Back DOES NOT = 1 well rounded back.

I don't want a "committee", I want versatile RB's that can run, block, and catch= ones that can execute the entire playbook.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Running back by committee is exactly what every team ought to do.

Bringing back a name player on his last legs to be part of that is a mistake.

If and when this team starts 1-3 who thinks Elliot is going to shut his mouth and let it play out? He will go right to Jerry for more touches and every player will know it. Where does that leave Mike?

They are really setting themselves up for several possible disastrous situations, which I guess they can blame on Mike.

All these coaches and players fail the Joneses. So awful.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The success of the running back by committee thing will depend more on the O-line to create holes in the defense than it will on the RBs.

kskboys

Reaction score
Running back by committee is exactly what every team ought to do.

Bringing back a name player on his last legs to be part of that is a mistake.

If and when this team starts 1-3 who thinks Elliot is going to shut his mouth and let it play out? He will go right to Jerry for more touches and every player will know it. Where does that leave Mike?

They are really setting themselves up for several possible disastrous situations, which I guess they can blame on Mike.

All these coaches and players fail the Joneses. So awful.
No, it's not. Because it means that team doesn't have anyone good enough to start. Terrible way to manage a position.

On the flipside, giving one RB 300+ carries is also stupid.

As usual, the best answer lies in the middle. You need a starter who can get the tough yards, pass block, and maybe catch a pass or two. Then you need a rabbit to throw in the mix. 1st guy should get, say, 60-70% of carries, depending on the productivity of the 2nd guy.

DET has one of the best examples of how to manage a RB room, w/ the plowhorse and the rabbit.

kskboys

Reaction score
I’m saying the same thing so not sure why you’re trying to argue. RB by committee can work if you have at least 2 better than average RB’s. The Cowboys currently have none. Currently.
Then that's not RB by committee. That's a RB tandem, which is by far the best way to go, unless you fall into a stud like Jacobs or Chubb.

Ideally, you want your lead back to take 60% of the carries.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Such a stupid article. Zekes career has fallen so far he is down to a 4.3 YPC career average. The last time he was above that number was 2019. To base any future production on his career averages is madness. You are clearly trying to hide the last 4 years and the obvious decline.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Such a stupid article. Zekes career has fallen so far he is down to a 4.3 YPC career average. The last time he was above that number was 2019. To base any future production on his career averages is madness. You are clearly trying to hide the last 4 years and the obvious decline.
I do not believe that is what he was saying, nor what the article is about. He was just giving some stats.
He is asking how do they figure this out. You have Zeke and all his experience, Freeman the next behind him. Them a bunch of guys with hardly any experience, as even Dowdle does not have all that much.