Spagnola: Trying to Sort Out RB by Committee

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
You probably didn't even read it. It has nothing to do with Jerry. It has to do with actual football.
Actual football and the reality of the situation the Jones' put this team in by doing 0 to improve upon this "running back by committee" situation we are faced with. He mentioned the role that Zeke is a good fit for but made no mention of how much more he would be if we had an actual RB1. At least Pollard was labelled as such last year, and even then coming off injury he shouldn't have been. I get you are a front office Defender but you scoff at anybody who dares challenge your POV

blueblood70

Reaction score
There is the relevant quote. IMO, the issue was Schottenheimer and Solari. The run game was too slow in developing. The end result was RB's having to wait for linemen to pull or something and then either running into those linemen or dodging defenders in the backfield.

I see no real evidence that S and S are taking responsibility for run game failure and as such, are going to repeat it. I don't see Zeke fixing this problem.
Look he doesn't need to be a savior,

Ezekiel Elliot doesn't need to fix the problem as a group with the offensive line is what's going to fix the problem..

like many said above we all saw it Rico dowdle should have been the starting running back when it comes to short yardage and goal line last year, he should have been used more than Pollard. pollard's role was wrong it was 100% wrong and that's why Zeke is back because he can bring you that we're not asking them to be the old Ezekiel Elliott..

we just need a guy that's a tough blocker tough short yardage guy and around the goal line you got to put in the ones that are supposed to be put in Allah almost 900 yards and 12 touchdowns on one leg a washed up Zeke nearly had as good of stats as Tony Pollard who BTW HAS half the mileage on his legs, the man with an utter disappointment and most of it was because he was used wrong ie paid 10 mil claimed he could carry the load.. that was a LIE!

so the case in point, is if you use these players correctly as a group depending on the game and the game plan on who you bring in and how you rotate them we will be a better running team this year but the fact zeke can provide some stability in that role as long as we don't depend on him to be a true number one, he needs to be in a real rotation no preconceived expectations on who you use and how many snaps and carries you give them, you got to just go with the flow of the game and Mike McCarthy just didn't have a handle on that last year I mean I hate to say it but he was worse than Kellen Moore with the run game.

We see lots of teams have little running back by committee in the rotation if they get it right with good blocking schemes bringing in the right groups for the teams you're facing, and the situational football Mike McCarthy just didn't do that well...too many times he forced TP into zekes old role..should have flipped that and used Rico more..

RonWashington

Reaction score
+1

It may not happen right away but I'm excited about the all three of the offensive linemen they drafted. I'm not smart enough X's and O's wise but it could be that they are the type of big bodies that fit the new blocking scheme. At a minimum, possibly by mid season, Tyler Smith and Cooper Beebe should be pushing people back.

Hopefully Guyton is starting

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
You probably didn't even read it. It has nothing to do with Jerry. It has to do with actual football.
Poor Spags. Knew someone was going to bring that up. I’ve never considered him a company man as much as just annoyingly devil’s advocate positive.

Havic

Reaction score
Reading articles from Spags, you’d think we’ve won multiple super bowls in the last few years

blueblood70

Reaction score

see here's the irony everyone says Ezekiel elliott's washed he had a pretty nasty knee injury in both 2021 and 2022 right about mid season and in 2022 his numbers are right there on the bottom row that's on another bruise thigh in a knee that was pretty severely bruised he nearly had the same average twice the touchdowns then Tony Pollard who also had $10 million and got a new deal this year with another team as if he had some kind of great season last year so one is washed and the other gets a new deal can ironic isn't it the way people can perceive things I'm not saying Ezekiel elliott's gonna be the number one guy he's not gonna be old Ezekiel Elliott but his rumors that he is washed both look at some of the highlight reels from last year look at the highlight reels when he was averaged close to 5 yards per carry both to start the 2021 and the 2022 seasons the man was running better than he has in a long time before the injuries...

I believe this is what the front office sees and if in a limited role for short yardage and goal line and blocking I don't see what the hubbub is about him being here let him finish his career here...

So in my opinion Ezekiel Elliott was here last year or if Rico dowdell either one of them were given the same amount of carries last year in the same role Tony Pollard head I believe both could have at least matched tony's production easily maybe even better but regardless people acting like the guys on this team can't get it done at least none of them are making $11 million anymore we're gonna go running back by committee and it's gonna stem on the offensive line and the way Mike McCarthy somehow utilizes these guys better...

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-trying-to-sort-out-this-committee-thing

Some interesting stats in this article. Shows why Zeke has returned. Because of the run game failure inside the 10 yard line.
Well, if you ask me, he returned because we didn't want to spend big on the position and valued other players in the draft more than the RBs available at each pick. We weren't going to go into the season with Royce Freeman being our star addition at the position, so we brought back Elliott because a) he was cheap and b) we know him and what he can do when healthy.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
Why did we sign Zeke if he isn't going to be the starter? No other back currently on the team is better.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I don't care what Mickey has to say. There isn't anyone in Texas who has his head as far up Jerry's butt as this guy.
See this is what happens when you’re always angry with everything Cowboys. You become blinded unable to be objective. Hate breeds more hate and it overcomes you.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
essentially Mickey indirectly said the decision to do it this was is not wrong, because others are doing it.
he will never say WTH is this front office doing.
he said, its ok to have a bunch of average RBs because week to week it will change. what he didn't say that although nobody has a bell cow, what they have is better than average so they go by committee. not Zeke who is slow as molasses. Rico unproven and bunch of people who nobody else wanted and somehow in Dallas they will produce.

this running game is a disaster in the waiting.

so @acr731 is right. Mickey always spins, to say its all good, its been the right decision. he will never criticize the Joneses

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
He states that RB by committee is the new way of the NFL but I'm not so sure.

Plenty of teams still have one elite RB and a big drop off in depth behind them, ( the Steelers as an exception) but I believe that mostly RB by committee is merely because of lack of talent.....kind of like our current situation.

Rb is one of the positions where you can pay elite talent top money and it won't kill the cap....so why not do it?
RB by committee only works when you have at least 2 better than average backs. Cowboys have a better than average short yardage RB in Zeke but currently not much else. But it’s still only May so lots of time left.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Typical Mickey pablum. Hilarious that he used Detroit as a "committee" example when Montgomery and Gibbs are both far better than anyone on our roster.
That is definitely a big part of it. Committees can be a great thing when you've got the right players. In 2021 and 2022, we needed to be a committee because we had Elliott and Pollard and both deserved playing time. The only real flaws in that plan ended up being injuries, but we needed to use both players for them and the team to be the best they could. Having a committee just because you don't have a No. 1 back isn't a recipe for success.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
essentially Mickey indirectly said the decision to do it this was is not wrong, because others are doing it.
he will never say WTH is this front office doing.
he said, its ok to have a bunch of average RBs because week to week it will change. what he didn't say that although nobody has a bell cow, what they have is better than average so they go by committee. not Zeke who is slow as molasses. Rico unproven and bunch of people who nobody else wanted and somehow in Dallas they will produce.

this running game is a disaster in the waiting.

so @acr731 is right. Mickey always spins, to say its all good, its been the right decision. he will never criticize the Joneses
None of you are right. True Mickey’s a big time homer but the article is very interesting with lots of facts. It’s true that RB by committee can work and be effective. But y’all are just blinded because of agenda’s.