Spagnola: Trying to Sort Out RB by Committee

fivetwos

Reaction score
No, it's not. Because it means that team doesn't have anyone good enough to start. Terrible way to manage a position.

On the flipside, giving one RB 300+ carries is also stupid.

As usual, the best answer lies in the middle. You need a starter who can get the tough yards, pass block, and maybe catch a pass or two. Then you need a rabbit to throw in the mix. 1st guy should get, say, 60-70% of carries, depending on the productivity of the 2nd guy.

DET has one of the best examples of how to manage a RB room, w/ the plowhorse and the rabbit.
Rarely do I disagree with anything you have to say, and I don’t in this case.

Let me rephrase…..teams should be able to build a decent RB room without investing major capital, and should be able to also have depth for that reason.

During Emmitts prime, the team was toast without him. That’s shouldn’t happen these days.

I can see spending a third rounder on a player that can take the amount of carries you suggested. Rather spend higher picks on the guys opening the hole for that player

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Only reason Zeke returned was because he took minimum wage. Will he help inside the 20? Maybe. Will he help us win games? No.

kskboys

Reaction score
Rarely do I disagree with anything you have to say, and I don’t in this case.

Let me rephrase…..teams should be able to build a decent RB room without investing major capital, and should be able to also have depth for that reason.

During Emmitts prime, the team was toast without him. That’s shouldn’t happen these days.

I can see spending a third rounder on a player that can take the amount of carries you suggested. Rather spend higher picks on the guys opening the hole for that player
I think the "RB by Committee" isn't being completely understood in this case. In RB by COMM, no one rushes for more than 6-700 yds. And you usually have 3, or even 4 guys taking carries. You do this because no one is good enough to start, it is not the desired outcome.

In a tandem, you have two guys who rush for 800+, w/ one of them breaking a grand. Often both.