CFZ Speculation - 5 players that the Cowboys should look at trading

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Goes to show you that the Cowboys still have below average backups on the roster. If you can't get anything for them, then that says a lot about their talent seen through other team's eyes. They ain't gonna waste any draft capital on any of them. Only Armstrong might get a bite, but that's it. I agree that the dimwitted duo lack the knowledge and ability to trade and come out on the plus side.

GMO415

Reaction score
If we can't win a SB with Micah this season let's trade him for 3 #1s.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Are we still not giving up on this false narrative? Look around the league at other deals and the cooper trade seems about right in terms of value.
Chase Claypool was traded for a 2nd.

Tyreek Hill brought 5 picks including a first and a second. AJ Brown brought a 1st and a 4th. Cooper was already under contract for 4 years at less than what these guys ended up signing for with their new teams.

Calvin Ridley brought more than Cooper. Kadarius Toney brought more. Jalen Freakin' Reagor brought more.

I have no idea how you've talked yourself into thinking the Cooper value was comparable to other WR trades from the same year.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Maybe DA or KJ, but it won't be much. I wouldn't trade DA, he get sacks.

visionary

Reaction score
I get that several of these probably wouldn't get much, but I do think that a player like Armstrong can get quite a lot in return depending on how the FO were to pitch the trade. He's a solid player, and his stats show it. The problem that he has is that he's got a lot of depth at his own position. I'd hate for him to just be cut with nothing in return, should he lose camp battles. So, I think he is a player that we should try to move before TC as I think we can get a decent pick for him. The rest, probably won't get much if anything, but were the others on the bubble that I think we can get at least something in a trade rather than just cutting them after camp.
When you say “several of these players won’t get much” it is clear that you actually don’t get it at all

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
When you say “several of these players won’t get much” it is clear that you actually don’t get it at all
What I meant by that is I know KJ and the TE won't get anything in a trade. I think we could get a decent pick in a trade. Gallimore, probably not, but, you never know. Bell is intriguing because I think the FO and coaches like him, but I could see a team maybe offering a 7 for him. But, of the 5 I mentioned, DA is the most likely to get something in a trade.

Creeper

Reaction score
None one will give the Cowboys anything of value for any of these players. Armstrong is a solid contributor and at best he might get them a 6th round pick. The rest are cut candidates. Teams are not going to shell out anything for a player they know will be cut or is on the bubble to be cut.

Look at the Cowboys trade history. They got a 5th for Amari Cooper and no one on this list is even close to the player Cooper is. What team would be desperate to take on any of these players? The Cowboys also tried to trade La'el Collins who was a decent RT. No one would offer anything for him.

I am as disappointed by Gallimore in 2022 as anyone. He was awful, but I would keep him at least through camp and the preseason just to see if he gets any better. He is more likely going to be released or allowed to leave in free agency after this year. Trysten Hill was better than Gallimore and they let him go for nothing.

And why even trade them? What would Dallas be trying to accomplish by trading them?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
None one will give the Cowboys anything of value for any of these players. Armstrong is a solid contributor and at best he might get them a 6th round pick. The rest are cut candidates. Teams are not going to shell out anything for a player they know will be cut or is on the bubble to be cut.

Look at the Cowboys trade history. They got a 5th for Amari Cooper and no one on this list is even close to the player Cooper is. What team would be desperate to take on any of these players? The Cowboys also tried to trade La'el Collins who was a decent RT. No one would offer anything for him.

I am as disappointed by Gallimore in 2022 as anyone. He was awful, but I would keep him at least through camp and the preseason just to see if he gets any better. He is more likely going to be released or allowed to leave in free agency after this year. Trysten Hill was better than Gallimore and they let him go for nothing.

And why even trade them? What would Dallas be trying to accomplish by trading them?
Getting something rather than nothing if we cut them. That'd be what I think the Cowboys would be trying to accomplish. Essentially, more fodder for later trades.

visionary

Reaction score
What I meant by that is I know KJ and the TE won't get anything in a trade. I think we could get a decent pick in a trade. Gallimore, probably not, but, you never know. Bell is intriguing because I think the FO and coaches like him, but I could see a team maybe offering a 7 for him. But, of the 5 I mentioned, DA is the most likely to get something in a trade.
ZERO of these players are tradeable
ZERO

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Chase Claypool was traded for a 2nd.

Tyreek Hill brought 5 picks including a first and a second. AJ Brown brought a 1st and a 4th. Cooper was already under contract for 4 years at less than what these guys ended up signing for with their new teams.

Calvin Ridley brought more than Cooper. Kadarius Toney brought more. Jalen Freakin' Reagor brought more.

I have no idea how you've talked yourself into thinking the Cooper value was comparable to other WR trades from the same year.
I'll say without hesitation that they sold low on Cooper, but that doesn't mean it's not what the market was at the time.

The Tyreek Hill trade was insane, but he's also a unique talent (1700 yards last year), and the Dolphins had the luxury of signing him to a new deal that fits the structure they want which I think is a huge piece when talking about trades. Same with Ridley which I believe his deal gets bumped up to a higher pick if the Jags can resign him, but I need to look into that. The Claypool deal was an overpay IMO, but rookie deal and an in season trade. Kadarius Toney...rookie deal.....Jalen Reagor....rookie deal....still not like Toney/Reagor went for big bucks though.

The issue with the Cooper trade was twofold in that the Cowboys had both money and timing working against them....a large contract during the start of the offseason, when cap space value and draft pick value is at a premium. You trade for these receivers while they're cheap or when you can create the contract to fit your team and you'll naturally pay more for them. Trading for a guy coming off a 60ish catch 800 yard season who you have to immediately restructure to manage his cap hit isn't sexy to teams. Had the Cowboys kicked in some cash to the deal I have to believe they could have gotten a better draft pick, like Chicago did for Robert Quinn this past season, but who knows for sure.

Personally, I like Cooper and would have preferred that we just kept him over dealing for peanuts, but I can see why he wouldn't have much of a market given the time of the trade. The Cowboys flipped the script this year and took advantage of lower trade value snagging Cooks/Gilmore.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Armstrong you might get a 5th or 6th for...those others you wouldn't get ANYTHING for.
Most likely, I think, Armstrong is a player-for-player trade - a deal for a backup OT or something like that.

There's really no reason for Dallas to trade him for a 5th rounder, especially when he'll probably get you close to that as a comp pick as a UFA after this year if they let him go.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Goes to show you that the Cowboys still have below average backups on the roster. If you can't get anything for them, then that says a lot about their talent seen through other team's eyes. They ain't gonna waste any draft capital on any of them. Only Armstrong might get a bite, but that's it. I agree that the dimwitted duo lack the knowledge and ability to trade and come out on the plus side.
These aren't even backups - except DA - we're talking about third string and fringe roster guys. The Cowboys are no different than anyone else in the league in this regard.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Most likely, I think, Armstrong is a player-for-player trade - a deal for a backup OT or something like that.

There's really no reason for Dallas to trade him for a 5th rounder, especially when he'll probably get you close to that as a comp pick as a UFA after this year if they let him go.
I agree. At that point he means more to you than a 5th. Keep Armstrong.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Could see trying to trade 1-3. Bell could be a starter next season with Kearse and Hooker contracts being up...gotta maintain the depth.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Could see trying to trade 1-3. Bell could be a starter next season with Kearse and Hooker contracts being up...gotta maintain the depth.
What’s the hype on Bell? I haven’t seen anything from him to say he’s a starter…..

StarLord

Reaction score
I mean you have to always be open to a trade.. maybe even Micah. It's all a matter of what you're getting in return. I would be fine trading all of them for close to nothing, with the exception of Armstrong. I think Armstrong is a quietly important cog for us currently.. but that said, what's the deal?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I mean you have to always be open to a trade.. maybe even Micah. It's all a matter of what you're getting in return. I would be fine trading all of them for close to nothing, with the exception of Armstrong. I think Armstrong is a quietly important cog for us currently.. but that said, what's the deal?
For me with Armstrong, a 4 or 5 round pick would be decent enough to take. I'd be thrilled with a 3rd round pick.