Speculation: Cooper/Gregory

shabazz

Reaction score
The Cowboys drafted Mo Claiborne. I think he scored a 6 on the wonderlic. Zeke I think (may be wrong) has the highest score on the Cowboys. Whats that saying? lol

…..the good news is that its probably pretty evident that Dakota and Gregory are both smarter than Terry Bradshaw who couldn’t spell cat if you gave him the c and the t, and he won a few Super Bowls……

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think if other teams know the Cowboys want to get rid of him for cap purposes, they may just wait for him to get released. Going to be hard to deal a player on a large contract. Think it is very telling that management never restructured his contract. Perhaps when Lamb was drafted, they envisioned him becoming the team's #1 WR.

Let's be clear, this is exactly the contract Coop wanted. He was very clear he wanted to reevaluate his options after TWO years. My guess, as stated before, is he's done here. I'm not sure they want him back even with a pay cut.....similar to releasing Dez.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Let's be clear, this is exactly the contract Coop wanted. He was very clear he wanted to reevaluate his options after TWO years. My guess, as stated before, is he's done here. I'm not sure they want him back even with a pay cut.....similar to releasing Dez.
We shall find out. I think if they do move on, we need to start looking at WR's in the draft, even at 24.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
My gut feeling is that they let Lawrence go as well. I think Gregory stats but Lawrence and Cooper - two big money deals - are moved off the books.
It's is quite possible, along with Zeke the following yr, would clean up a lot of space for the future. However, problem is, you need replacements, don't think you will find players who can match their production lost.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Outside of the most important game of the season during the most important moment of the game, you mean?

Who cares? We all watched him laugh while making stupid penalties on a stop or go home drive in the most important game of the season.

His production is not good enough to make up for all the bonehead stuff. I know ya'll thought he was going to be All-Pro this year and all, but he's just not very good and will probably want more then he's worth.

But have no fear! Jerry will probably 100% give him more than he's worth regardless. Then you'll get to complain about him not being worth it in a year or so.
The whole DL struggled, not just him. He missed 5 games, would of gotten a 10 sack bar for the season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's is quite possible, along with Zeke the following yr, would clean up a lot of space for the future. However, problem is, you need replacements, don't think you will find players who can match their production lost.

Lawrence averages under 5 sacks a season for the past 3 years. Those are the key numbers he's being paid for - sacks. And he's not getting them. I realize that he's a high effort guys that makes plays in other areas, but it's not close to the needed return on investment. I can find a journeyman player or a rookie to get me 5 sacks a year and I can scheme to make up for the rest. Give me my $20 million-plus a year back!

My own plan would include letting Lawrence go and making edge rusher my top draft priority.

And as you said, the axe will fall on Zeke's contract in 2023. At that point, barring crazy spending elsewhere, the salary cap should be back to manageable.

Sydla

Reaction score
Dak will be restructured. So will Zack Martin and likely La'el as well.

Those three restructures get you to about $6-10 million in cap space. Thats not enough to do what the Cowboys will need to do.

Cooper is either getting restructured or cut/traded. He's not going to be a June 1 cut.

Sydla

Reaction score
As long as we get back Gregory's 16.5 sacks and 19 TFLs in 7 seasons I'm a happy camper.

Pass rushers don't grow on trees.

However, Basham makes Gregory look like Lawrence Taylor.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

I'm guessing they are penciling at least double-digit sacks from Parsons. It's not a reach to say both our DEs may not return......we know DLaw would have to restructure or take a pay cut. I'm not convinced Stephen's ready to give Gregory a long-term market value contract......keyword, market value.

CoachD

Reaction score
I thought that I like Gregory but nope I don't, way too many games he just disappears and the only time he gets noticed is when he's called for an offside or roughing the passer penalty ya let him move on and have someone else overpay for his non-services.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I'm guessing they are penciling at least double-digit sacks from Parsons. It's not a reach to say both our DEs may not return......we know DLaw would have to restructure or take a pay cut. I'm not convinced Stephen's ready to give Gregory a long-term market value contract......keyword, market value.
They also see a deep draft at the position, think that will be apart of their decision. Also, I heard after Golston was drafted, they viewed him as the future replacement for DLaw at LE.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Lawrence averages under 5 sacks a season for the past 3 years. Those are the key numbers he's being paid for - sacks. And he's not getting them. I realize that he's a high effort guys that makes plays in other areas, but it's not close to the needed return on investment. I can find a journeyman player or a rookie to get me 5 sacks a year and I can scheme to make up for the rest. Give me my $20 million-plus a year back!

My own plan would include letting Lawrence go and making edge rusher my top draft priority.

And as you said, the axe will fall on Zeke's contract in 2023. At that point, barring crazy spending elsewhere, the salary cap should be back to manageable.
Yes, they can clear their books after next season. What a lot of people don't understand, the cap went down due to covid and they worked the deals around what the cap increase was going to be.

fivetwos

Reaction score
…..the good news is that its probably pretty evident that Dakota and Gregory are both smarter than Terry Bradshaw who couldn’t spell cat if you gave him the c and the t, and he won a few Super Bowls……
Know why?

That group was gifted, but was also coached and motivated into being the best they could be.

It's about as opposite as what you now see in Dallas as could be.

The only coaches allowed in Dallas are ones that let Jerry do exactly what he wants.

That's why Johnson and Parcells didn't work.

I think Payton provides some hope, but I'm not even sure there. It may just be a final paycheck thing for him.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I think Cooper is gone for sure. DLaw probably gone as well.

visionary

Reaction score
Cooper is as good as gone. He’s not worth 18-20 million to us. I would try to trade him for a rd 2/3 pick. This will heed to he a run and short passing game team with a dominant defense if we are to be truly competitive with Dak at QB

I’d like to have DLaw and Gregory both back if possible so we don’t create more holes on defense

Nexx

Reaction score
Dak Prescott destroyer of WR careers. Sorry Dez, Coop.