SPECULATION: Cowboys looking to trade up for Clowney ?

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Just remember...Tony Mandarich and Brian Bosworth...and Bobby Carpenter were all guaranteed studs

Barbie was no guarantee. Anytime a guy plays alongside an actual stud, there should be a red flag that goes up regarding his potential to be great without help. And even Parcells was fooled on this one, with the additional bias that he knew the Carpenter family.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Barbie was no guarantee. Anytime a guy plays alongside an actual stud, there should be a red flag that goes up regarding his potential to be great without help. And even Parcells was fooled on this one, with the additional bias that he knew the Carpenter family.

I disagree...EVERYONE thought Barbie would be a 10 year player....maybe not a Superstar but an above average player.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I disagree...EVERYONE thought Barbie would be a 10 year player....maybe not a Superstar but an above average player.

I never thought that. I didn't like that pick at all. Not everybody thought that. There were several on this board who did not like that pick as I recall.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Maybe it was the other site then...while some people thought there were better players available, there were a ton that felt Carp was the safe pick that would not bust. And he definitely busted.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score

The point I made was that A. J. Hawk would make a lot of guys look better, and would open up their zone for more opportunities.
He did start at Ohio St. as a freshman, but that's the problem with stats -- they can be misleading.
Carpenter had brief stints with the Rams, Fins, Lions, and Patriots; never caught on.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The point I made was that A. J. Hawk would make a lot of guys look better, and would open up their zone for more opportunities.
He did start at Ohio St. as a freshman, but that's the problem with stats -- they can be misleading.
Carpenter had brief stints with the Rams, Fins, Lions, and Patriots; never caught on.

He wouldn't stack to save his life. I never understood it. He just would not do it and that's why he's out of the league. He had the size and the strength to be able to do it but he just ran around the block all the time. Was maddening to watch really.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
He wouldn't stack to save his life. I never understood it. He just would not do it and that's why he's out of the league. He had the size and the strength to be able to do it but he just ran around the block all the time. Was maddening to watch really.

That was a case of "look like Tarzan, play like Jane".

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Small item of note to everyone from a Gamecocks fan...

Clowney watched his teammate and team leader Marcus Lattimore go from a sure fire top 5 pick to the bottom of the second day with the tearing of his second knee ligament two years ago. If he was to say that wasn't playing out in his mind last year I would call him a liar to his face. Clowney doesn't lack anything in terms of work ethic. The team that gets him will have a disrupting force on their team for the next several years.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

Clowney watched his teammate and team leader Marcus Lattimore go from a sure fire top 5 pick to the bottom of the second day with the tearing of his second knee ligament two years ago. If he was to say that wasn't playing out in his mind last year I would call him a liar to his face. Clowney doesn't lack anything in terms of work ethic. The team that gets him will have a disrupting force on their team for the next several years.

I still don't think we are seriously going to trade up for him.

We have too many holes to give up multiple premium picks right now.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

It's real easy to spend someone else's potential millions. I believe that the Lattimore injury and all the pre-season talk at least had a subconscious impact on Clowney. It's hard to hold that against someone, but it should be a consideration when drafting him.