SPECULATION: Cowboys looking to trade up for Clowney ?

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Dallas needs another working class draft. Dline, Oline,

11 picks = 4 DL, 2OL, 1 LB, 1 Safety, 1CB, 1 WR, 1 RB

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
@TheHuddleReport: Cowboys putting together a package trying to get into top 3 for Clowney. Deal would include 16th pick 2015 1st rounder + CB Morris Claiborne

This guy was the first one to say cowboys were going after Claiborne 2 years ago.

I'd trade No. 16 and Claiborne to get him (simply because Scandrick proved last year to be a starting-caliber corner). Maybe throw in a high conditional pick next year if Claiborne doesn't pan out to be a starter in order to get the deal done.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
I see you have a picture of Dorsett, It only cost Dallas their 1st and 3 2nd rd picks. Sometimes it pays off.

There were no question marks on Tony -- tough, elusive, excellent balance, sprinter's speed.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There were no question marks on Tony -- tough, elusive, excellent balance, sprinter's speed.

I agree. I remember the day when he was drafted I was excited. 2 top backs in the draft was TD and Ricky Bell but TD was the one I really wanted but never thought Dallas would have a chance. As for Bell great young man it was ashame he died so early in life.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Clowney.

Mr. Business Decision Clowney who took it easy to avoid injury.

Mr. We Be the Best in the NFL (Part II) who was admired and respect (wink-wink, oink-oink) by coach Spurrier.

Yeah, that is what we needs. A expensive player who might stipulate in his contract how much effort he will put in.
Can you imagine Clowney ordering Jason Garrett around? Tell Jerra to stuff it?

Great scenario.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
That doesn't seem like nearly enough to trade into the top 3, but maybe the fact that it's a buyers market can tilt it in our favor.

If that's all it took to get Clowney I'm all over that. Still have your entire draft this year. Sacrificing 1 first round pick for potentially a decade plus of terror coming from our weak side End is well worth it.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
The thing with Clowney is that I'm extremely worried that he's nothing more than a seriously over hyped player based off of one really wild hit.

I don't think he's overhyped because of one hit. He was incredible in 2012, that was just the biggest highlight. My issue is that when the rubber hit the road last season he decided that he was more afraid about being hurt rather than trying to become the best player he could be and make himself *undoubtedly* the #1 pick in the draft. One is the attitude of a loser. The other is the attitude of a winner. Even if he played his heart out in 2013 and got injured, I would feel at ease knowing he has the attitude and athletic ability to be a Hall of Famer. Instead, I've come away that he has the attitude to be a giant bust.

I don't think we are even considering it outside of the staff may feel that with Marinelli's guidance, they can keep Clowney in line.

YR

Gaede

Reaction score
I
That doesn't seem like nearly enough to trade into the top 3, but maybe the fact that it's a buyers market can tilt it in our favor.

If that's all it took to get Clowney I'm all over that. Still have your entire draft this year. Sacrificing 1 first round pick for potentially a decade plus of terror coming from our weak side End is well worth it.
I would not sacrifice a first round pick when our 33 year QB is coming off of multiple back surgeries

DTown214

Reaction score
People who say this would be a terrible deal (majority of everyone on here) need to stop and actually think about it. We'd be getting a once in every decade type of player who happens to play the position of our biggest need. If we're trading up, we obviously wouldn't need our 16th pick, Claiborne is a bust so we can just start Carr & Scandrick (who's the better player anyway), and if Clowney plays up to even half of his potential, it'd be worth our 2015 first rounder. In any trade scenario, if we'd be giving up a first rounder, every fan who thinks they're a genius will automatically say it's a bad deal.... THINK ABOUT IT PEOPLE... you know you'd love to see a star on Clowney's helmet.

Questfor6

Reaction score
If I get to keep all my remaining picks in 2014 I would highly consider the deal. I'd rather give up a 2015 2nd but for a chance at once in a decade kind of player it would be hard to pass up. If they're actually considering this deal then it has to be with STL because Jacksonville wouldn't trade away from Clowney and Houston would cost much more. If Mack goes number 1 I'm not going to be shocked to see trade pop up on the screen at number 2.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
I

I would not sacrifice a first round pick when our 33 year QB is coming off of multiple back surgeries

You're entitled to your opinion, I expect there to be a split on this topic. I don't see giving up one first rounder as much of a problem, especially if it's to get a once in a decade caliber edge rusher. If Clowney lives up to his potential no one would second guess the decision. He had ability to completely take over a game a la Lawrence Taylor.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Two 1st round picks + Claiborne (who was the 6th overall pick himself)...........................dam, that is pricey.

I would like the trade a little bit more if Clowney didn't decide to basically take the season off last year. 3 sacks for the entire 2013 college football season is laughable if we are talking a once in a decade player.

I just don't see this happening, we need more than just 1 player to fix this defense. Trading down and getting extra picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds makes a lot more sense. Besides, we are not one player away, I hope everybody realizes that.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
It's just one future first round pick, and probably not a top 10 pick. We don't just need players on defense, we need difference makers.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Two 1st round picks + Claiborne (who was the 6th overall pick himself)...........................dam, that is pricey.

I would like the trade a little bit more if Clowney didn't decide to basically take the season off last year. 3 sacks for the entire 2013 college football season is laughable if we are talking a once in a decade player.

I just don't see this happening, we need more than just 1 player to fix this defense. Trading down and getting extra picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds makes a lot more sense. Besides, we are not one player away, I hope everybody realizes that.

Who says we can't get more than Clowney in this draft if we pulled the trigger on a trade? Even if we had to package a pick from this draft in that deal we'd still have something like 9 picks throughout the rest of the draft to fill depth.

We're not one player away, but I like our chances on defense much better with Clowney on board.

ceerrece

Reaction score
Who says we can't get more than Clowney in this draft if we pulled the trigger on a trade? Even if we had to package a pick from this draft in that deal we'd still have something like 9 picks throughout the rest of the draft to fill depth.

We're not one player away, but I like our chances on defense much better with Clowney on board.

But there's no guarantee that he can fill the expectations of the "once in a decade" prospect, that's the problem on giving so much for a player.

Fredd

Reaction score
make the deal for mack and I would consider it...not for a guy that took a whole season off and is resting on his big hit from 2 bowl seasons ago