SPECULATION: Cowboys looking to trade up for Clowney ?

waving monkey

Reaction score
Two 1st round picks + Claiborne (who was the 6th overall pick himself)...........................dam, that is pricey.

I would like the trade a little bit more if Clowney didn't decide to basically take the season off last year. 3 sacks for the entire 2013 college football season is laughable if we are talking a once in a decade player.

I just don't see this happening, we need more than just 1 player to fix this defense. Trading down and getting extra picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds makes a lot more sense. Besides, we are not one player away, I hope everybody realizes that.

defense is two drafts away from being completed ,one way or another. I am not advocating Clowney but I could see a trade

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I'd love to have Kelcy too! Why not both? :)

I just don't think Clowney is going to be that good. Gut feeling. I could be wrong and he could be a hall of famer, but just seems like he blew up off that one hit against Michigan and they weren't that good at all.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I just don't think Clowney is going to be that good. Gut feeling. I could be wrong and he could be a hall of famer, but just seems like he blew up off that one hit against Michigan and they weren't that good at all.

Take it from someone that has watched every Gamecock game religiously. Clowney is about as close to a sure thing as it gets. That Michigan hit was just a great way to top off an incredible season. I'm not sure if you know the variables that led up to that hit but the ref had clearly been blind in giving Michigan a 1st down on a crucial 4th down play when it was apparent that they had come up no less than 4 inches short. We were flabbergasted. Then they cut to commercial. When they came back it was 1st and 10 Michigan when amazing happened. It's not like that just happened out of the blue. He was clearly frustrated like the rest of us and made a game changing play.

I can't say I like the way he approached last season. Sometimes it seemed as though he was going 90% to try and avoid injury. Bad call imo but if the guy was legally able to come out before last season he would have clearly been at the top of that draft. College ball is ferocious and can be a slippery slope. (See Marcus Lattimore for an example of how college longevity can affect draft status).

marchetta

Reaction score
It's just one future first round pick, and probably not a top 10 pick. We don't just need players on defense, we need difference makers.

No. When you're one player away from being a contender, you need a difference maker to put you over the top (ie. Charles Haley). When you're a historically bad defense, you need players.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
I have a feeling that this is somehow an elaborate ruse in order for Jerruh to swoop in and grab Manziel...

KB1122

Reaction score
I have a feeling that this is somehow an elaborate ruse in order for Jerruh to swoop in and grab Manziel...

That they're really trading up for Johnny Manziel, but they're saying Clowney so that if it falls through they don't irritate Tony Romo? That's actually decent thought.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
This kind of move is exactly what gets us where we have been. A star player but NO DEPTH ON THE TEAM.

Ill be very upset if we get Clowney.

Ugh. I really hope Manziel/Clowney go off the board early so I don't have to deal with the draft.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
This kind of move is exactly what gets us where we have been. A star player but NO DEPTH ON THE TEAM.

Ill be very upset if we get Clowney.

Ugh. I really hope Manziel/Clowney go off the board early so I don't have to deal with the draft.

Totally agree. If Dallas drafts either Manziel (terrible move on # of levels) or gives up future for Clowney who even if he's everything we hope is still just DeMarcus Ware which brought us 0 Super Bowls by himself, priority of watching Cowboys games is going to drop tremendously for me.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
No. When you're one player away from being a contender, you need a difference maker to put you over the top (ie. Charles Haley). When you're a historically bad defense, you need players.

When you're historically bad with no lead dog in the sled, getting an alpha wolf like Clowney makes sense.

But again what some fail to recognize, if we trade a pick or two to get Clowney, we still have a TON of picks to play with to add pieces to the defense. You guys are acting like if we move up for Clowney the rest of the draft is over, and that's FAR from the case.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
When you're historically bad with no lead dog in the sled, getting an alpha wolf like Clowney makes sense.

But again what some fail to recognize, if we trade a pick or two to get Clowney, we still have a TON of picks to play with to add pieces to the defense. You guys are acting like if we move up for Clowney the rest of the draft is over, and that's FAR from the case.

Getting Clowney or Quarles and then landing Shaw in the later rounds would be AWESOME! As a long time Gamecock fan, I am all for adding more Gamecocks to the roster. My boy Devonte Holloman could use a few more familiar faces. :)

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Would you give up the 32nd overall pick in the draft next year for Clowney, because that is what it will be if we get him. CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!