Speculation: FSU and Clemson to big 12?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Been some talk on the WVU forums and twitterverse that FSU and Clemson might be heading to the big 12 soon and maybe louisville and another team either at the same time or later.

Have any of you heard anything on other teams forums about the move. I ask since there are so many Texas, Oklahoma and Baylor fans here and wanted to know what they have been hearing.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Are they going to change the name to the Big 14? :laugh2:

I haven't heard anything about it, but they do need at least two more teams to fill out to 12. FSU and Clemson don't sounds like bad additions.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4554027 said:
Are they going to change the name to the Big 14? :laugh2:

I haven't heard anything about it, but they do need at least two more teams to fill out to 12. FSU and Clemson don't sounds like bad additions.

Enough with all of the numbers... doesn't work these days...

How about "Big Dogs"... :D

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
trickblue;4554035 said:
Enough with all of the numbers... doesn't work these days...

How about "Big Dogs"... :D

Oh god no. We don't need big dog cowboy actually getting an ego. :laugh2:

MC KAos

Reaction score
wow, those would be GREAT additions! i hope its true, but i havent heard anything about it anywhere

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
From what I can see, these rumors are starting on a WVU blog and no one can confirm a thing. I honestly do not think it will be super secret if schools as big as Clemson and FSU were talking about jumping ship for the Big 12. It could be happening but I would not hold my breath. Someone is probably working on their street cred and blog followers by throwing out bold predictions backed by "sources" that do not exist. It wouldn't be the first time it happened and will not be the last.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Last thing I would do if I wanted "street cred" is to toss out lies. Sounds more like someone wants to become famous instead. :laugh2:

rkell87

Reaction score
I've heard the Louisville rumors but not the clemson and FSU

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cythim;4554188 said:
From what I can see, these rumors are starting on a WVU blog and no one can confirm a thing. I honestly do not think it will be super secret if schools as big as Clemson and FSU were talking about jumping ship for the Big 12. It could be happening but I would not hold my breath. Someone is probably working on their street cred and blog followers by throwing out bold predictions backed by "sources" that do not exist. It wouldn't be the first time it happened and will not be the last.

There are some I have learned to ignore, some I have learned to take with a grain of salt. There are others that I put a good amount of trust in as I have seen most of their info pan out over the years. There is one I trust more than others and even if his info does not pan out, I at least know he was on the right track and things just changed.

At least one of the sources was the one who broke Rich Rod staying at WVU when most had him going to Bama, later they broke he was leaving to Michigan before anyone else, they broke the Holgerson to WVU before anyone else and they also broke the WVU to the big 12 way before anyone else, when people were still predicting WVU to SEC (which there were talks but they fizzled out).

Now with that said, the source, or I should say the person with the source, has been good about WVU info. I don't know how he has been with other teams.

Also the person I have read has only said that they are in talks right now, not that it is a done deal.

With things being fluid, anything can change.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Louisville is probably headed to the Big XII at some point, but FSU and Clemson aren't going anywhere. The ACC is more stable than the Big XII right now, is set to make more ad and television revenue next year and both schools have publically said they are content where they are within the past 18 months when at one time or another the SEC inquired about both.

It looks like these are just blog rumors that all the east coast writers and reporters have been discrediting the last couple of days.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The30YardSlant;4554406 said:
Louisville is probably headed to the Big XII at some point, but FSU and Clemson aren't going anywhere. The ACC is more stable than the Big XII right now, is set to make more ad and television revenue next year and both schools have publically said they are content where they are within the past 18 months when at one time or another the SEC inquired about both.

It looks like these are just blog rumors that all the east coast writers and reporters have been discrediting the last couple of days.

Football schools in the ACC are not as happy as basketball schools in the ACC.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Keep on getting closer to those super conferences, and through that, closer to a playoff.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
casmith07;4554428 said:
Keep on getting closer to those super conferences, and through that, closer to a playoff.

They have already adopted a four team playoff, it starts in 2014. Most people believe by 2016 it will be an 8 team playoff.

DFWJC

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4553990 said:
Been some talk on the WVU forums and twitterverse that FSU and Clemson might be heading to the big 12 .
I find that very hard to be believe.
But the way things have been going, I guess you never know.

Life would easier for them in basketball and, no offense, but the academic standards are much lower (FSU and Clemson are in the lower quartile of the ACC in that regard). :p:

VT, Miami, FSU, and Clemson are the best teams in ACC football, so it would really damage the ACC further on the gridiron.

Clemson and especially FSU are on the rise big-time in football again, so they'd make a nice addition to the big 12!

The dominos would see the Big East getting hosed again. The ACC has been robbing them of many of their best programs for awhile now. lol

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4554406 said:

I would not say that the ACC is more stable. Heck, there are rumors that two highly successful members are looking to jump conferences. The Big XII has solidified over the past year. If anything, they continue to grow. They have signed a new TV deal that will probably be one of the most lucrative, if not the most lucrative contract in College Sports. I don't know if it will happen but it's not beyond the scope of belief. The Big 12 will continue to expand. It's only a matter of time as to when.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4554467 said:
I would not say that the ACC is more stable. Heck, there are rumors that two highly successful members are looking to jump conferences. The Big XII has solidified over the past year. If anything, they continue to grow. They have signed a new TV deal that will probably be one of the most lucrative, if not the most lucrative contract in College Sports. I don't know if it will happen but it's not beyond the scope of belief. The Big 12 will continue to expand. It's only a matter of time as to when.

I fully expect it to expand, I just expect that expansion to be along the lines of Louisville, Cincinnatti, etc.

And both the Pac-12 and SEC are preparing to sign multi-billion dollar television contracts within the next year that are expected to be the largest broadcasting contracts in the history of cable television, sports or otherwise. They will dwarf the NFL's cable contracts. They will essentially gurantee that every single Pac-12 and SEC game in both basketball and football will be able to be seen nationally by anyone with more than a basic cable package.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4554479 said:
I fully expect it to expand, I just expect that expansion to be along the lines of Louisville, Cincinnatti, etc.

And both the Pac-12 and SEC are preparing to sign multi-billion dollar television contracts within the next year that are expected to be the largest broadcasting contracts in the history of cable television, sports or otherwise.[ They will dwarf the NFL's cable contracts. They will essentially gurantee that every single Pac-12 and SEC game in both basketball and football will be able to be seen nationally by anyone with more than a basic cable package.

What does this statement, true or false, have to do with anything? I think we are talking about the Big 12 and the ACC right?

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The30YardSlant;4554438 said:
Florida State has a pretty solid basketball program.

Let's not be coy...they are a football school first.