Speculation: FSU and Clemson to big 12?

Rogah

Reaction score
jterrell;4726023 said:
The ACC doesn't choose, the bowls do. That's the issue with the ND tie-in. ALL bowls will choose ND over EVERY ACC team with 1 more win.

A 10 win FSU team could get bumped from the Chik-Fil-A bowl over a 9 win ND team. If that happens and it costs FSU ~5mil expect more disharmony than ever before.
First of all, the payout is $4 million.

Second of all, you seem not to realize that even if your made up hypothetical scenario comes to pass, Florida State wouldn't go from a $4 million payout to nothing. They'd go from about $4 million to about $3 million.

The fact that you have to constantly lie and exaggerate to make your point shows how weak your point really is.

Just out of curiousity, since you're so concerned about Notre Dame taking a BCS spot from the ACC, when has the ACC ever sent 2 teams to the BCS?

burmafrd

Reaction score
MC KAos;4727083 said:
and neil degrasse tyson is less well known than kim kardashian, what does that matter? Texas makes more money and puts out a better product than ND on the field, sorry, but ND only matters to old geezers stuck in the olden days.

but it clearly rankles you and that is what I love

Lets see- how many years has Mack Brown raked in the recruits and how many championships has he had?

No coach has ever done less with more

If it was not for Oklahoma losing just about every time it got to the big dance Texas would be the real joke

DFWJC

Reaction score
burmafrd;4727257 said:
but it clearly rankles you and that is what I love

Lets see- how many years has Mack Brown raked in the recruits and how many championships has he had?

No coach has ever done less with more

If it was not for Oklahoma losing just about every time it got to the big dance Texas would be the real joke

I side with you on the the ND to ACC plusses, but I disagree on Mack Brown.

Since he's been there, his team ranks about 4th or 5th overall (a high as 3rd by some) in recuriting.

Texas has the highest winning percentage of any program froma BCS confercne this decade.

Plus, his team has one one BCS Title and gone to another title game only to lose when the QB got hurt. The also were in the running to make other Champ games too--which is all you can ask.

That would also make it top 5 in the category too.

There's Alabama and LSU....but after that, who has done any better?
Anyway, recruiting is a very large part of the equation in college head coaching. It is one of the measurements...you could be great with x and o's at that level, but if you don't have the players, you don't get the BCS titles.

I'm with you on the other argument, but the Brown critics sometime remind me of the Romo ciritcs...there's a need to look at the actual data.

burmafrd

Reaction score
DFWJC;4727408 said:
I side with you on the the ND to ACC plusses, but I disagree on Mack Brown.

Since he's been there, his team ranks about 4th or 5th overall (a high as 3rd by some) in recuriting.

Texas has the highest winning percentage of any program froma BCS confercne this decade.

Plus, his team has one one BCS Title and gone to another title game only to lose when the QB got hurt. The also were in the running to make other Champ games too--which is all you can ask.

That would also make it top 5 in the category too.

There's Alabama and LSU....but after that, who has done any better?
Anyway, recruiting is a very large part of the equation in college head coaching. It is one of the measurements...you could be great with x and o's at that level, but if you don't have the players, you don't get the BCS titles.

I'm with you on the other argument, but the Brown critics sometime remind me of the Romo ciritcs...there's a need to look at the actual data.

Sorry but if you claim that Mack Brown has not had sufficient talent to win more than ONE Championship; or only make it to one championship game, that is BS.

Show me who else other than Mack Brown over the last ten years has had such high recruiting classes consistently.

Top 5 just about every single year. And only ONE ring.

Yes he has done less with more.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Rogah;4727176 said:

Second of all, you seem not to realize that even if your made up hypothetical scenario comes to pass, Florida State wouldn't go from a $4 million payout to nothing. They'd go from about $4 million to about $3 million.

The fact that you have to constantly lie and exaggerate to make your point shows how weak your point really is.

Just out of curiousity, since you're so concerned about Notre Dame taking a BCS spot from the ACC, when has the ACC ever sent 2 teams to the BCS?
Just this past season, both Clemson and Virginia Tech went to BCS bowls. Clemson as the conference champion, Virginia Tech as an at large.

DFWJC

Reaction score
burmafrd;4727504 said:
Sorry but if you claim that Mack Brown has not had sufficient talent to win more than ONE Championship; or only make it to one championship game, that is BS.

Show me who else other than Mack Brown over the last ten years has had such high recruiting classes consistently.

Top 5 just about every single year. And only ONE ring.

Yes he has done less with more.
Just giving you the facts. Take every school's recruiting class ranking over the last 10 years and Texas comes in anywhere from 3rd to 5th.
Their regular season record is 1st, and their post season record is top 5.

The have one title-- 3 teams have more. They've played in two title games...which is also top 5.

It adds up to doing what you should do....if you have a top 5 class, you should have a top 5 program on average. That is what they have.

By your argument, USC, OU, Ohio State, and many others should also have more than 1 title. Georgia should at least have one.
But they don't.
7 different schools have won titles the last decade.
The SEC has won 6 in a row and the team that last won before them was Texas.

In 14 years, the BCS titles have gone current cof members of the
8 SEC
2 Big 12
2 ACC
1 Big Ten
1 Pac 10

burmafrd

Reaction score
DFWJC;4727518 said:
Just giving you the facts. Take every school's recruiting class ranking over the last 10 years and Texas comes in anywhere from 3rd to 5th.
Their regular season record is 1st, and their post season record is top 5.

The have one title-- 3 teams have more. They've played in two title games...which is also top 5.

It adds up to doing what you should do....if you have a top 5 class, you should have a top 5 program on average. That is what they have.

By your argument, USC, OU, Ohio State, and many others should also have more than 1 title. Georgia should at least have one.
But they don't.
7 different schools have won titles the last decade.
The SEC has won 6 in a row and the team that last won before them was Texas.

In 14 years, the BCS titles have gone current cof members of the
8 SEC
2 Big 12
2 ACC
1 Big Ten
1 Pac 10

Show me who else has had such a stable staff. Which should count as well.

Every one of those teams mentioned outside of Oklahoma has had different head coaches in the last ten years.

Do all the tap dancing you want but Mack Brown has underperformed.

Cheez

Reaction score
I do think Mack Brown has underperformed Stoops, but Texas has a more natural recruiting advantage than Oklahoma.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Cheez;4727610 said:
I do think Mack Brown has underperformed Stoops, but Texas has a more natural recruiting advantage than Oklahoma.
They're pretty much equally yoked in history and regional big program appeal. Barry Switzer and Darrel Royal saw to that.

Rogah

Reaction score
dogunwo;4727516 said:
Just this past season, both Clemson and Virginia Tech went to BCS bowls. Clemson as the conference champion, Virginia Tech as an at large.
Right, and that was the first and only time it has happened (and given the way Clemson performed, I wouldn't blame the BCS if they took away the ACC's automatic bid).

It's a ridiculously weak statement to suggest that Notre Dame would potentially take away a BCS bowl slot from the ACC. First of all, that could happen anyway. Any time Notre Dame goes to the BCS, they're taking a slot away from someone else. That "someone else" could be a Big 10 team, SEC team, ACC team, whatever.

Second of all, while I know there's a rule that says no conference can send 3 teams to the BCS, AFAIK there's no reason that Notre Dame going to the BCS would automatically mean the ACC could only send 1 team. In other words, Notre Dame going to the BCS does punish some conference, but not necessarily the ACC.

And 3rd of all, as you mentioned, the ACC sending 2 teams to the BCS is so rare, it really isn't a legit argument against this move.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Cheez;4727610 said:

Its an interesting arguement about which is better:

Getting to the big dance twice as often but then getting blown out once there.

Aikbach

Reaction score
Rogah;4727644 said:
Right, and that was the first and only time it has happened (and given the way Clemson performed, I wouldn't blame the BCS if they took away the ACC's automatic bid).

It's a ridiculously weak statement to suggest that Notre Dame would potentially take away a BCS bowl slot from the ACC. First of all, that could happen anyway. Any time Notre Dame goes to the BCS, they're taking a slot away from someone else. That "someone else" could be a Big 10 team, SEC team, ACC team, whatever.

Second of all, while I know there's a rule that says no conference can send 3 teams to the BCS, AFAIK there's no reason that Notre Dame going to the BCS would automatically mean the ACC could only send 1 team. In other words, Notre Dame going to the BCS does punish some conference, but not necessarily the ACC.

And 3rd of all, as you mentioned, the ACC sending 2 teams to the BCS is so rare, it really isn't a legit argument against this move.
The VT BCS bid was a slap in the face to the more deserving Kansas State at that.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Rogah;4727644 said:

I think you are responding to the wrong person, I was just answering your question about ACC and BCS bowls.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Rogah;4727176 said:

Try last year....
Clemson to the get beat down by WVA bowl and Va Tech to the Sugar Bowl.
29 mil of the 40m the ACC made in bowl payouts came from those two games. Another 5 from the Chik-Fil-A bowl.

Arent you glad you asked that same question 3 times???

Secondly, you are delusional if you think NC State fans won't be PO'd when they get bumped down in the bowl order for ND. They very well will be. EVERY fan base is mad when that happens.
As to on campus... who cares. We are talking about real fans that spend real money every year not drunk college students who are gone in 2-5 years.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2011/12/08/acc-bowl-revenue-expected-to-top-40m.html

---------
As you see the Sun Bowl payout is 2.9 m less than the Chik-Fil-A bowl. But in reality it costs a university much more because it has to send it's representatives to El Paso, Texas not the hub of the southeast, Atlanta. It also costs them prestige and exposure. 2m is a fair estimate in cash difference form the bowl pay out ,minus expenses ALONE. Reality is it is far more than that.

Going to the right Bowl games, very much matters. Especially in cities like Dallas, ATL where you can use that to help recruit. But even bigger, boosters pay for success. They donate more money when you are going to good bowl games than when you are not. They buy more school gear. The 5 mil number came from a Clemson fan forum. A study found it is worth 5m for Clemson to be in the Chik-Fil-A bowl versus the next bowl down. Check 247tigers....

Rogah

Reaction score
jterrell;4728231 said:
Try last year....
Clemson to the get beat down by WVA bowl and Va Tech to the Sugar Bowl.
29 mil of the 40m the ACC made in bowl payouts came from those two games. Another 5 from the Chik-Fil-A bowl.

Arent you glad you asked that same question 3 times???
Since I had to ask it 3 times just to get you to answer it, yes I am. You've proven the point I was making, tyvm.
jterrell;4728231 said:
Secondly, you are delusional if you think NC State fans won't be PO'd when they get bumped down in the bowl order for ND. They very well will be. EVERY fan base is mad when that happens.
As to on campus... who cares. We are talking about real fans that spend real money every year not drunk college students who are gone in 2-5 years.
Sure thing buddy. I live right in the heart of ACC country, I attend NC State and I go to NC State football games several times per year. I know countless undergraduate students, graduate students, alumni, professors and administrators here in the triangle. But you have a better grasp of what NC State fans are thinking and feeling about this whole thing than I do. Yup. Right. Uh huh. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I too have a hard time believing that no objections would be had if the scenario outlined previously played out. If NCSt. had no issues with that, then I think I've found the problem with NCSt. Football. No University should be OK with that. That's just my opinion.