Speculation on Cowboys - Patriots Trade

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dale said:
You think there's any way we toss out a name like Burnett to lure a better talent in return? I'm not saying I want to trade Burnett. To the contrary, I'm very excited to see him develop and contribute.

All I'm saying is a player like Shanle will get us, well, a player like Shanle in return. A young body that may or may not make the team, and if called upon, may or may not produce at various times.

Where as a guy like Burnett, a former high pick (granted, unproven as anyone), may net a slightly better talent in return.

Just throwing it out there as a question, especially since some of those Patriot fans were wanting a player like Carpenter.

I have the same thoughts.

Shanle was an undrafted guy who we will likely get a spare former late round draftee/udfa whose hanging around the final 10 cuts. We have some good linebackers. We could take what we have been drafting well and leverage that for what we have sucked drafting and balance out the whole deal.

I still suggest Singleton because its hard to trade guys with a lot of upside and Singleton is a solid 3rd or 4th LB for any team the next 2 seasons. We need a starting RT if Fabini is not that guy. Columbo and Petitti are both guys with some potential but we could use an Al Singleton version of a RT if that makes any sense. A real solid, not flashy starting caliber player with a couple of years left. Is that Gorin? Not sure as I dont watch the Pats much beyond marvelling at Brady's manically effective style and decision-making.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
jterrell said:
I still suggest Singleton because its hard to trade guys with a lot of upside and Singleton is a solid 3rd or 4th LB for any team the next 2 seasons. We need a starting RT if Fabini is not that guy. Columbo and Petitti are both guys with some potential but we could use an Al Singleton version of a RT if that makes any sense. A real solid, not flashy starting caliber player with a couple of years left. Is that Gorin? Not sure as I dont watch the Pats much beyond marvelling at Brady's manically effective style and decision-making.

I believe Singleton will end up in New Orleans for a WR if he is traded at all. It just makes too much sense not to happen.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander said:
I believe Singleton will end up in New Orleans for a WR if he is traded at all. It just makes too much sense not to happen.
Any ideas on which WR we'd be interested in? I'm pretty sure Horn and Stallworth are not available.

Alexander

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Any ideas on which WR we'd be interested in? I'm pretty sure Horn and Stallworth are not available.

Not really. I just know they are loaded. Stallworth actually is behind Devery Henderson if I am correct, so he might not be hands off. They have a nice collection of speed/special teams (Bethel Johnson, Michael Lewis), youth (Mike Hass, Marques Colston, Lance Moore, Chris Horn) to keep more than five. They also have a terrible LB corps.

If they want a good linebacker who could start immediately for them, Singleton would be perfect. And being selfish, I would demand a near-starter in return, but since it would be very much like the Fujita deal last season, we might only get a player and low draft pick. Just guessing of course.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I'd be interested in Devery Henderson or Chris Horn.
But isn't Singleton worth more than that?
Is he worth Stallworth? Probably not I guess:(

I think I would prefer Gorin to either of the WRs and the Pats need a LB even worse than the Saints.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Not really. I just know they are loaded. Stallworth actually is behind Devery Henderson if I am correct, so he might not be hands off. They have a nice collection of speed/special teams (Bethel Johnson, Michael Lewis), youth (Mike Hass, Marques Colston, Lance Moore, Chris Horn) to keep more than five. They also have a terrible LB corps.

If they want a good linebacker who could start immediately for them, Singleton would be perfect. And being selfish, I would demand a near-starter in return, but since it would be very much like the Fujita deal last season, we might only get a player and low draft pick. Just guessing of course.
I really liked Mike Hass in the Draft. I know he's not a flyer, but he has great hands. Interesting about Devery ahead of Donte. I was not aware of that yet. Not that far in my fantasy mag. :D

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Alexander said:

Wow didnt realize Henderson had passed Stallworth. Guess Payton is not fond of Stallworth's inconsistency.

If he is available I'd love Stallworth because with the constant single coverage he'd see here he could hit a home run every couple of games. We may have to move to a more explosive offense instead of the plodding variety with KJ out and TO in.

Alexander

Reaction score
jterrell said:
I'd be interested in Devery Henderson or Chris Horn.
But isn't Singleton worth more than that?
Is he worth Stallworth? Probably not I guess:(

I think I would prefer Gorin to either of the WRs and the Pats need a LB even worse than the Saints.

Nothing says we cannot trade both Singleton and Shanle.

There is a reason no trade has been done yet. We are going to see a great deal of a couple of players to see if they are ready to handle the special teams duties of Shanle and Singleton and possibly the backup roles. I think Boiman, Burnett and Glymph could be fine backups on the outside, Carpenter, Fowler and possibly even Hoyte on the inside.

Singleton is very marketable, too much to just cut. I don't think Boiman is going anywhere, so he is the odd man out. Carpenter playing inside has made Shanle expendable.

Alexander

Reaction score
jterrell said:
Wow didnt realize Henderson had passed Stallworth. Guess Payton is not fond of Stallworth's inconsistency.

If he is available I'd love Stallworth because with the constant single coverage he'd see here he could hit a home run every couple of games. We may have to move to a more explosive offense instead of the plodding variety with KJ out and TO in.

It could just be one of those training camp situations, but Stallworth hasn't been healthy and Henderson has been more reliable.

This is from a few days ago:

Not even Donte Stallworth's roster spot is final

JACKSON, Miss.

Donte Stallworth is considered one of the N-F-L's more promising young receivers. But even he has yet to secure a place with the Saints.
Stallworth is entering the final year of his first contract. He set career highs with 70 catches for 945 yards last season. But that is no guarantee he'll be with the team for the September tenth opener against Cleveland.
He has yet to spend significant time working out for coach Sean Payton after an offseason shoulder injury and a training camp groin pull pushed him off the field.
He returned to practice late last week, sat out the preseason opener against Tennessee and will get his first close scrutiny this week.
Payton says he won't go by someone's word -- he has to see the player.
Stallworth has had two consecutive injury-free seasons. He says he's not really worried about his future with the team. In his words, "I've made some plays here and there."

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Alexander said:

There is a reason no trade has been done yet. We are going to see a great deal of a couple of players to see if they are ready to handle the special teams duties of Shanle and Singleton and possibly the backup roles. I think Boiman, Burnett and Glymph could be fine backups on the outside, Carpenter, Fowler and possibly even Hoyte on the inside.

Singleton is very marketable, too much to just cut. I don't think Boiman is going anywhere, so he is the odd man out. Carpenter playing inside has made Shanle expendable.
I think Shanle's play has made him more expendable than our LB depth. "The Animal" is a Chihuahua.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
doomsday81 said:
Kaczur is in his second year. He started at LT for most of the season as a rookie when Matt Light got injured in Pittsburgh. He's currently injured himself, however, and the severity of his injury is unkown. He has not yet participated in training camp up to this point. Even though he started as a rookie, the Patriots gave him a lot of help by keeping Daniel Graham in to block as well. He did a solid job against some of the NFL's premier pass rushers and showed good potential for the future but right now, his injury is a mystery.

Yesterday you claimed you knew something about this deal.

You going to share it?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Alexander said:

Its pretty out there but I wonder what Bradie James is worth?

The guy is a good player and team leader but might he net a slightly below pro bowl caliber RT?

I am not a big fan of taking a guy where we selected Carpenter and using him as backup provided he can play. And Ayodele and James are too good to bench.

Man, we really have a good linebacking corps.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hostile said:
It has been shared.

Where? And with who?

Perhaps I'm being thick but all I find is "trust me on this" type threads saying who it isn't

edit: I see, prediction made in the Troy Brown thread. I hadn't read that one since the TB deal was obviously implausible

Alexander

Reaction score
jterrell said:
Its pretty out there but I wonder what Bradie James is worth?

The guy is a good player and team leader but might he net a slightly below pro bowl caliber RT?

I am not a big fan of taking a guy where we selected Carpenter and using him as backup provided he can play. And Ayodele and James are too good to bench.

Man, we really have a good linebacking corps.

James wouldn't get as much as he is worth to us, I don't think. He is stepping into a leadership role and I don't think we are prepared to hand anything big over to Carpenter just yet.

I still feel Carpenter will be starting by midseason, with Ellis settling into a backup role after a while. He might not like it, but it will probably be necessary if he struggles.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I think Shanle's play has made him more expendable than our LB depth. "The Animal" is a Chihuahua.
Oh come on Hos...You're just showing your prejudice against him because of certain other posters who have overblown his talent and importance. The fact is that Shanle has been a solid backup for us and has held up his end every time he has been pressed into service. He filled in quite well when Dat went down last year; he's no Dat but he was adequate. And he played very well when he filled in for an injured Singleton on the outside in the 4-3 the year before. He has also played well in the nickel for us. He didn't stick around this long by being the slug that you portray him as.

Alexander

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Oh come on Hos...You're just showing your prejudice against him because of certain other posters who have overblown his talent and importance. The fact is that Shanle has been a solid backup for us and has held up his end every time he has been pressed into service. He filled in quite well when Dat went down last year; he's no Dat but he was adequate. And he played very well when he filled in for an injured Singleton on the outside in the 4-3 the year before. He has also played well in the nickel for us. He didn't stick around this long by being the slug that you portray him as.

I agree. He isn't an "animal", but he is a good player who can start for a while if he has to. Shanle might not be the one you want starting optimally, but he does enough to keep on virtually anyone's roster. Good teams have players like him, especially as reserves.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Alexander said:
James wouldn't get as much as he is worth to us, I don't think. He is stepping into a leadership role and I don't think we are prepared to hand anything big over to Carpenter just yet.

I still feel Carpenter will be starting by midseason, with Ellis settling into a backup role after a while. He might not like it, but it will probably be necessary if he struggles.
I believe you are correct there.

Still, its hard not to notice James is due for a mucho large raise and has not been signed yet. We can't pay everyone pro bowl level money.

Carpenter is practicing all over the dang place so he could be moved back outside but inside seems his main focus the past week or so.

To me Ellis is a situational player but one who will play and play when it matters. He's still our best pure pass rusher aside from Ware. Parcells sees him as a McGinest sort. He doesn't ask them to be great in coverage just to eat up space then take advantage when blitzing against backs and tight ends.

Ellis has actually shocked me with his ability in the flats. I expected him to be completely stiff and goofy but the guy is a lot like McGinest and just kinda funnels guys out of the area with his size.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Alexander said:

I'm not buying that one. I think after Parcells got a close up look at Carpenter and his skill set he realized that he was better suited for the inside and the move will stick. I think he also saw that Ellis (I know you hate Ellis but he is a very good player) was going to be even better than he had hoped on the outside. So taking those two factors into account he decided to move Carpenter inside where he belongs and will leave him there as backup/nickel LB. This move could spell the end for Bradie James who might not get that new contract next year and be allowed to walk in FA.

Alexander

Reaction score
jterrell said:
I believe you are correct there.

Still, its hard not to notice James is due for a mucho large raise and has not been signed yet. We can't pay everyone pro bowl level money.

Carpenter is practicing all over the dang place so he could be moved back outside but inside seems his main focus the past week or so.

We have our backs covered with this. If James has a great year, then we do our best to get a fair deal, if not, he goes, we have Carpenter still. If he has a bad year, we have spent a year grooming him.

People are just too wrapped up in their preconceived notions of what Carpenter was supposed to do, that being some sort of pass rushing terror to bookend Ware. He is capable of more than that and might be a better inside linebacker than A.J. Hawk.

To me Ellis is a situational player but one who will play and play when it matters. He's still our best pure pass rusher aside from Ware. Parcells sees him as a McGinest sort. He doesn't ask them to be great in coverage just to eat up space then take advantage when blitzing against backs and tight ends.

McGinest rotated heavily with New England when they had quality linebacker depth. We will have some interesting packages using him.

Ellis has actually shocked me with his ability in the flats. I expected him to be completely stiff and goofy but the guy is a lot like McGinest and just kinda funnels guys out of the area with his size.

He looked really good against the run and even made a very good open field tackle. When Coach Parcells made the McGinest comparison, I was sold. His play certainly didn't contradict that either.